Spring clearing, a little early

/ Spring clearing, a little early #1  

RxRatedZ71

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3203
Ive been clearing some brush out over the past few weeks. Its the last acre or so of my property yet to be cleared. Mainly scrub brush, small saplings, and the occasional eastern red cedar. Typically i use hand tools (ie hatchets, loppers, machete, axe) so as not to disturb too much topsoil. Then i go back with loader and box blade and pile it up to burn. Here are some photos of the area.

ForumRunner_20130219_151251.png

ForumRunner_20130219_151320.png

ForumRunner_20130219_151356.png

/ Spring clearing, a little early #2  
Looks like park..nice job.

/ Spring clearing, a little early #3  
Looks like you had a day like me! nice job on your place!

We have some predicted heavy rain storms the next 3 days so I took advantage of the 65* weather:thumbsup:

I moved to the woods to be in the woods, but I have a few areas I maintain. Today I was on the tractor for around 5 hrs, shredding, hauling wood, digging in my pond and building a terrace in my deer food plot..Been a long nice day.

/ Spring clearing, a little early
Thanks for the kind words. Actually, today was a NOT SO GOOD DAY. I noticed on sunday that i bent my right lower draft link of my 3 pt while boxblading backwards (lesson 1). I tried to bend it back with a chain and a tree today and it snapped (lesson 2). Now ive got to replace it, $270

/ Spring clearing, a little early #5  
Tractor has allot of strength in reverse, I bet you will think "$270" next time your using the BB and hit the "R" gear:D Actually you had a good day! you'll live to tractor again, you know the "glass is half full" thing:thumbsup:

BTW, you may be able to find a used link if you have time to look around.

Heres a few shots of the damage..

ForumRunner_20130219_203712.png

ForumRunner_20130219_203856.png

ForumRunner_20130219_205042.png

/ Spring clearing, a little early #7  
Might could weld it or have it welded. Looks like cast iron so will need nickle rod or whatever is available these days. Worth a try

I checked on a hiring a dozer, but they wanted $85/hr with a 6hr minimum (the most I've heard yet) and then he forewarned me that so much topsoil would be disturbed in order to grub out all the roots that some serious erosion might take place with the March rains that typically come to the area. He estimated 10-13 hours in order to pile up the area and then dig out some serious stumps that stupid-me cut off flush to the ground. For that price, I think I will continue to hand clear and brush hog. I can buy some good Crossbow herbicide, rent a stump grinder, and burn all the debris for probably 2/3rds the price. Maybe I'm being cheap, but I didnt really want to potentially lose that much of my topsoil.

/ Spring clearing, a little early #9  
That cant be cast iron as it is too weak and brittle for the application. Might be cast steel but I would think it would be just regular mild steel. If you can get it straightened out, then double V bevel both pieces and weld up with 7018 rod and it should hold. It looks like some bad steel was used or bad heat treatment that causes a brittle spot in the metal. $270 seems high for that simple piece of steel, but that JD green paint is very high dollar stuff so I can understand why.

/ Spring clearing, a little early #10  
Food for thought on clearing. A friend in your area trimmed the lower branches of a few of the red cedar trees, leaving the upper branches and trunk. He says the tree will use less water, but still grow upwards. Clearing out the lower branches opens up the ground to sunlight for the grass to grow under the trees.

Have you heard of doing this?