Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease?

/ Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease? #1  

snymat68

Platinum Member
Tractor
RK24H, Gravely 8123
The left, front wheel is squealing (high pitched) on my RK24 when it rolls forward or back.
Am I correct in saying that the wheel bearings should be lubricated by the gear oil in the front axle, and do not need packed with grease?

I have about 115hrs on it.
I performed the 50hr maintenance to the T and made sure the new oil flowed down into the front axle where it needed to.
The oil level is still where it should be.
The correct oil was used.

Could it just be a faulty bearing? If that's the case, I'll be putting in a warranty claim to get it fixed.
What do you guys think?

/ Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease? #2  
I'm thinking it's under warr., let them deal with it!

SR

/ Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease? #3  
I agree with Rob, but you post a better picture of the squeaky wheel area

/ Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease? #4  
Had a similar issue, front right wheel. Only did it occasionally within the first 20 hours or so. 75 hour now. Have not heard it for a while.

I wasnt 100% convinced it was a bearing, maybe something else rubbing that needed "broke in"?

/ Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease?
Mine didn't squeak until I had 110+ hours on it. Not sure if it's actually the bearing yet either, as I haven't had a chance to get it up in the air to better diagnose it. Either way, I'm hoping it's an easy fix.

/ Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease? #6  
If it's squeaking while you move, that means some bad stuff happened to the internals.

That's something for the warranty to take care off.

/ Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease?
If it's squeaking while you move, that means some bad stuff happened to the internals.

That's something for the warranty to take care off.

Oh, the warranty will definitely be covering the cost of it. The kicker is that, contrary to what I was told when I bought the tractor, they're now telling me that they can't send a tech to my location. So my only options are I trailer it to them, an hour away (which means 4hrs of my time running back and forth), or have them send me the parts and I fix it myself. Being that they can't tell me how long it would take them to fix it if I haul it to them, I'm opting to fix it myself. Just need to figure out what the issue is. Worse comes to worst they can send me new front axle assembly and I can swap the whole thing out. I'm not pleased about initially being told there are on-site service truck/techs available, and then told otherwise when I try to utilize the service. And, while I have the ability to trailer the thing to them, I'm not keen on wasting that much of my time (and fuel costs), when I could fix the thing myself in my garage in an evening. Just need to determine what parts to have them send me.

Side note - There are also 2 hydraulic hoses under the right floorboard that have rubbed through to the steel braid by rubbing against the subframe that was installed for the mid-mount mower. I will be having them send me replacements for those as well. It appears they were stretched too tight when the subframe was installed, and no care was taken to avoid abrasion. I will probably also get some hose wrap for the new ones to better protect them.