ssqa snow plow build under way

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #1  

GeneV

Elite Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
I'm gonna take this snow/dozer blade I used with the craftsman gt, gonna use it on the massey tractor.

IMG_20161204_123243152.jpg

The mock up:

PXL_20201009_221743521.jpg

I got my ssqi mount plate from Titan. Great plate, nice and snug fit on the loader. $105.

PXL_20201009_221506591.jpg

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #2  
Cool project. How wide is the blade vs the tractor? Will you use a chain to float the blade? That's how I made mine from an old truck plow.

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #3  
I would make the kickers longer.

/ ssqa snow plow build under way
Cool project. How wide is the blade vs the tractor? Will you use a chain to float the blade? That's how I made mine from an old truck plow.

It's same width as my bucket, 4'. So it will leave snow for me to drive over when set at an angle, but that's fine, I'm just doing my own driveway. No chain.

I'm debating whether to weld it onto the plate as is (with reinforcement of course), or option 2, cut it down some before welding, so it doesn't stick out as much from the ssqi plate. I'm leaning toward option 2.

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #6  
You Might also want the blade bracket to "float" or pivot up and down where it attaches to the ssqa plate. That way the blade will follow the contours and you can have the end of the loader arms / ssqa up 6-8" above the ground.

Use the round bar stock for the pivot, weld some brackets to the ssqa to hold the bar.

Use a chain from the top of the ssqa down to the mount just behind the blade, leaving enough slack that the blade / mount can pivot up and down.

Then when you raise the loader arms, the chain tightens and then lifts the blade.

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #7  
I also would recommend chain float;pivot points on lower.

Guys, I hear ya there, I was debating that. But I'm reasoning just putting the loader in float is pretty much how this plow worked on the garden tractor, it did fine there. On the gt, you lowered it down, and it just ran over the driveway under it's own weight. It would be a little more weight pressing down on it from the loader arms, though.

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #9  
Maybe do an experiment before you decide. Go out in the drive and put your bucket in float and push down the drive way. Your loader arms maybe heavier than you think. Also makes steering hard.

gg

/ ssqa snow plow build under way #10  
There is a reason all truck plows have chain float.Most factory built SSQA snow plows are fixed;they work fine on hard flat surfaces but not so much on uneven drives.
My converted truck plow does about 2 miles of drives/road with no problem;all gravel but one small drive way.