Box Scraper Standard Duty vs Heavy Duty

/ Standard Duty vs Heavy Duty #1  

audsp98

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3550 HST
I'm going to be purchasing a Mahindra 3550 in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking at purchasing a box blade for normal box blade activities (drive way maintenance, grading, etc.). I'm curious as to which version, standard or heavy duty, I should be looking at. What are the deciding factors when looking at box blades that would make me choose a heavy duty over the standard version?

Thanks

/ Standard Duty vs Heavy Duty #2  
The key metric is Box Blade weight per foot of width.

Minimum weight that is effective is 100 pounds per foot of width. Better is 125 pounds per foot of width. Construction Box Blades start at 200 pounds per foot of width.

What type of soil do you have in Chelsea?

What type of tire are you considering for your Mahindra? Will tires be loaded with liquid?

Box Blades are probably this most frequently used implement as Three Point Hitch counterbalance weight for FEL work.

So calculate your probable FEL loads before making a final decision on a Box Blade.

If you will not have hydraulic TnT consider Rollover Box Blades in addition to regular Box Blades.

Attachments

• DSC00176.jpg
    DSC00176.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 757
Last edited:
   / Standard Duty vs Heavy Duty #3  
The heavy duty is what you want. BBs last decades or generations- especially a nice heavy duty one. The added weight is also a big part of the decision. No one ever wishes for a lighter BB!
As stated check out TnT if it's in the budget. It takes the box from a basic Implement to a incredibly useful multitool. Fitrite sells them and he is on this site. I have a Gearmore setup that will also treat you well.

/ Standard Duty vs Heavy Duty
The key metric is Box Blade weight per foot of width.

Minimum weight that is effective is 100 pounds per foot of width. Better is 125 pounds per foot of width. Construction Box Blades start at 200 pounds per foot of width.

What type of soil do you have in Chelsea?

What type of tire are you considering for your Mahindra? Will tires be loaded with liquid?

Box Blades are probably this most frequently used implement as Three Point Hitch counterbalance weight for FEL work.

So calculate your probably FEL loads before making a final decision on a Box Blade.

If you will not have hydraulic TnT consider Rollover Box Blades in addition to regular Box Blades.

Wow, so 100 lb/ft is the minimum. Even the heavy duty Mahindra BB doesn't meet that requirement. The super extreme BB from EA meets those requirements but is easily 2x the price.

It's Alabama so it's top soil and red clay here.

I'm getting the industrial tire. I'd not planned on loading the tires since the tractor and FEL already weigh 6000 lbs.

I am planning on getting the TnT but it will be after tractor purchase.

/ Standard Duty vs Heavy Duty #6  
Wow, so 100 lb/ft is the minimum. Even the heavy duty Mahindra BB doesn't meet that requirement. The super extreme BB from EA meets those requirements but is easily 2x the price.

I'm getting the industrial tire. I'd not planned on loading the tires since the tractor and FEL already weigh 6000 lbs.

I am planning on getting the TnT but it will be after tractor purchase.

I built my own BB out of 3/8" steel. If you can weld, or have a friend that can weld, it's a pretty easy project to tackle if you buy the steel sheared to size. I think a spent less than $400 in steel cut to size.

I think my BB is about 700-800 pounds, 6.5' wide if I recall correctly, and I also have a 3550. I often wish it was heavier.

When you get TnT, make sure you get cylinders that hydraulically self lock via a valve on the side. I had a cylinder without that feature at first, and it bled down over an hour or two.

/ Standard Duty vs Heavy Duty #7  
Wow, so 100 lb/ft is the minimum.

You will want an implement of 600-900 pounds mounted on the Three Point Hitch whenever you carry a heavy load in the FEL bucket, otherwise the rear wheels will lift off the ground. The Three Point Hitch counterbalance offsets weight of the FEL + FEL load, hanging off the front of the tractor.

My R4 tires are filled only with air. I routinely carry a 630 pound/60" ROBB or a 700 pound/60" ETA Cultipacker on the Three Point Hitch as counterbalance to the FEL.

Attachments

• DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 204
Last edited:
   / Standard Duty vs Heavy Duty #9  
I have a 4035 Mahindra and I use a ETA Hinged back box blade that weighs 815 lbs. It works great but when I'm using the loader I could use a bit more weight at times. I had a lighter blade and it didn't work for me it was ok in loose stuff but no good in hard packed material. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited:
   / Standard Duty vs Heavy Duty #10  
I'm gonna stick my $.02 worth in here...First, get your rear tires filled (hopefully with about 1200 lbs of fluid...why? because your FEL will counterbalance your BB when you are using the BB...reducing weight on the rear end of your tractor...thereby reducing your traction) you need the weight on the rear end...second, if your BB doesn't have 1/2inch side plates, its not HD. Then you go from there...Good luck. BobG in VA