Starting a Garden

/ Starting a Garden #11  
If you are going to wait until next year to plant and use this year to improve the soil get a soil test done by your county extension agent. It really helps to know what the soil needs and allows you to incorporate it deeply into the soil for better end results. Waiting would also let you grow a cover crop now and during the winter to add organics to the soil.

MarkV

I agree with this a lot, tilling this year planing an over crop to help condition the soil for next year is also wise. but the crop may depend on what the soil needs, sandy may need lots of add on stuff... You may even want to till multiple times this year adding different materials as you go to help next years crops.
that all being said beans, taters, peas & the like can usually grow in about anything. They will also help most soils if simply left to grow & till in add in some clover and or other quick growing cover as well.

mark M

/ Starting a Garden
Thanks for the input so far. I'm glad Bird had the crop disaster assesment sorted out for me;). I'd love to start this year, and have debated fertilizing the snot out of it and putting in some seed, but I have to wait for my topsoil.

/ Starting a Garden #13  
I've had a garden in somewhat sandy soil for about 5 years now. This last year hubby had to add a lot of fill it had sank. Also he limed and feritilized it and disced it in. I think I still need to sidedress it as its been a few months but I know its helped.

/ Starting a Garden #14  
Ok, sandy soil. Sounds like mine. :)
When I started mine, I found out the city of Tulsa gives mulch away free made from trees/limbs chopped up. I had two 18 yard dump trucks bring it to me. They charged me about 125.00 per load. Maybe you have a place that gives it away as well and you could till it in and by next year have a nice spot.
The price to be paid is the ants you import with it.. :)

Also, if you get in a hurry, around here, there is a place called Gem Dirt. They sell leaf compost cheap by the yard.
Just giving you ideas..

/ Starting a Garden #15  
picked my first garden goodies... the first asparagus was picked today... about 10 or so spears half of them as big around as my thumb

/ Starting a Garden #16  
I have used city mulch on my flower beds in the past, but be aware that they grind up a lot of trees that are rotten, have termites and may be covered in poison ivy plus a lot of other mystery material. If they compost it well, it helps get rid of some of the undesirable stuff, but it may not be possible to tell what you're getting in city mulch. Your city may do a better job of screening material than ours did.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you'll plant just a little bit of the usual garden veggies even if you don't plant the whole garden.

/ Starting a Garden #17  
Two days ago picked a mess of green beans. I was surprised, that's early even for us. My second cutting of spinach, third of lettuce. The radishes are gone, been eatin' on the onions for awhile now, have Texas Sweets and they are good. Also got 2 ripe cherry tomatoes today, they were delicious.

I think I'm going to be canning green beans in about a week and I'm not ready. Still working on the house so I'm pooped, but gotta do it if they come off.