Steel prices ...again!

/ Steel prices ...again! #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
I paged through this subforum some time ago and was impressed over the number of "Steel Prices" topics that appeared through the years.

Well, It's come again.

The neighbor wants me to build him a carry all frame for his 6100 Kabota.
Last summer I bought myself the TSC "CountyLine" offering, and decked in 1X6 cedar. It has come in very handy on back of the B7200.

Well, It takes 20 feet of 3/8" - 3" X3". Angle. That length comes in around 125#. (Finished Commercial unit comes in at 90 # of steel) Local price for new steel is $1.75 /lb. Add sales tax, a pair of Cat 1 pins, a pound of 6013 filler rod, and a rattle can each of primer and paint.

The <$250 asking price from TSC is a no brainer. All I can do for him is encourage him to make the purchase before they are sold out.

/ Steel prices ...again! #4  
Unless, you need something truly custom, the chiwanese can make something serviceable for less than you can get the materials. Current prices for lumber and plywood, prevented me from building a tractor shed this summer. I’ll have to do one next summer unless prices are even more insane then.

/ Steel prices ...again! #5  
TSC frame is a good deal. I had to beef up around the pins on mine though. It is fine for flat smooth going but on a rough spot with a heavy load and some bounce that area needs some help to keep the angle from buckling some if you have it freighted right up.

gg

Last edited:
   / Steel prices ...again! #6  
Do you guys every take a look at FB marketplace, or CL to find something someone no longer needs or is moving and doesn't want to move? I see carry-alls, sup-soilers, plows, etc frequently and at bargain prices.

/ Steel prices ...again! #7  
Surprising how much good, serviceable metal can be had from old farm equipment. Stuff can be bought fairly cheap and as long as you can bring it home it's golden.

/ Steel prices ...again!
Just a random comment about the Countyline brand

"county line implements are made in liberty ky by tarter sold through tsc" .

The unit I have has a box section cross beam for the top link connection. No extra welding is needed there! (But I can tear up just about anything.

Plus, when fitted to the B7200, either the hydraulics won't lift, or the front end comes up in the air when the load is too heavy ;-)

It would be a different story on the Fordson.

/ Steel prices ...again! #9  
3/8 angle iron on the TSC unit? I haven't looked at their stuff recently because it never held up for me. I constantly got frequent flyer points at my local weld shop (I now do my own welding.) I have an old carryall and the only places it has 3/8" is where I've welded in a second piece as reinforcement. YMMV.

Ken

/ Steel prices ...again!
3/8 angle iron on the TSC unit? I haven't looked at their stuff recently because it never held up for me. I constantly got frequent flyer points at my local weld shop (I now do my own welding.) I have an old carryall and the only places it has 3/8" is where I've welded in a second piece as reinforcement. YMMV.

Ken

Not to misconstrue. 3/8ths stock is what I WOULD BUILD IT FROM! I didn't measure the Countyline product. It seems good, but I don't carry bricks, just stones soil and wood ;-)