Steel prices up 25%

/ Steel prices up 25% #1  

HayDR

Veteran Member, Approved Advertiser
Tractor
JD 2040,2240, 2355, 2755, 4055
Steel prices are up 25% over last fall's prices. Look for a price increase as soon as the fall steel contracts have washed out. Basically buy now and save 2-10%.

/ Steel prices up 25% #2  
This is true! our steel costs are on the rise, making it hard to stay competitive. we have been telling our customers to buy next years equipment now, if they can. we still have alot of steel sitting on the shelves from before the price surge, so we are still offering last years pricing. if the trend continues, we will be forced to resume typical msrp pricing.

This isnt meant to scare anyone, just a reminder of the changing times.

BTW: hows the spring weather in TN, CCI. i grew up in JC.

/ Steel prices up 25% #3  
So is now a good time to turn in my scrap cu and brass?

/ Steel prices up 25% #4  
So is now a good time to turn in my scrap cu and brass?

I am wondering about that too, does it pay to separate it completely? I will have lots of cu tubing as we had a deep freeze a month ago that wiped out lots of houses plumbing in my area. My pile is growing and looked at it yesterday, must be 600 to 800 lbs with alot more on the way.

Which way works the best, take the time to sort it all or what?

/ Steel prices up 25% #5  
personally, im holding on to my copper for a while longer. we have alot of the purest you can find, out of old welding cables.

:thumbsup:

/ Steel prices up 25% #6  
I am wondering about that too, does it pay to separate it completely? I will have lots of cu tubing as we had a deep freeze a month ago that wiped out lots of houses plumbing in my area. My pile is growing and looked at it yesterday, must be 600 to 800 lbs with alot more on the way.

Which way works the best, take the time to sort it all or what?

yes if you seperate your steel copper an other metals youll get more money.short iron brings alot of money as well.we have a load of scrapp that can go anytime.but we are waiting for prices to go up some more.my neice an nephews made more than $1500 last year.

/ Steel prices up 25% #7  
I personally wouldn't worry about steel prices when considering the purchase of new equipment. Steel prices are quite variable and make big swings up and down. Just last week I bought a couple sticks of 2" steel tubing for $44 a stick, last time I bought it (a year or two ago) it was $60 a stick.

/ Steel prices up 25% #8  
It definitely fluctuates. Bought a 4 x 8 x 3/8 steel plate for just under $600, ouch. Last year same piece would have been less than $300.