Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts?

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
This weekend I picked up a mowing job for a customer. Looking at the property on Google Maps, it looked great. But its very steep. So I mowed in low range, 4wd and kept a very slow crawl, going up and down the slope, only turning when I could at the top and bottom. It did it, but my tractor struggled with the hill. Fortunately RickB' tip on setting the back of the brush mower higher that the front worked really well and the thick grass didn't slow me down.

I estimate it to be an average of 3:1. Along with the very steep hill, its pocked with gopher holes, dips and a ridge about 2/3 of the way up the hill that gets steeper. Oh and its covered in poison ivy. Some spots on the ridge could only be done by lowering the loader bucket to the ground and using it to level and stabilize the tractor facing downhill.

The whole time I was cutting, I kept thinking "I'm never doing this again!". This was the most challenging job I've done yet and will be a mark at which I measure other jobs.

Customer is a nice guy and appreciated the job I did. He also paid well and gave me a tip. And I picked up another job from his neighbor. So it looks like I will be cutting this property again. But am I damaging my tractor? I have three concerns:

- Obviously rolling over. Going up and down worked, but it feels bad going over the ridge climbing uphill. The surprise gopher holes are the killers too. I think I'm going to stake them out with stakes and florescent tape prior to the next mowing. Poison Ivy be damned.

- The steep slopes make me wonder what I'm doing to my engine and transmission. Are they getting enough oil? I keep them topped up to the highest level on the dip stick and top of the observation bubble on the trans, but is that enough? I didn't have any power loss, and no oil light (but I wasn't always staring at it nor could I see it in bright daylight anyway). Very concerned with any damage in that arena. Keep in mind that machine is using every one of the 25HP+ up and back down the slope.

- Heat. I'm literally crawling uphill for a couple of hours straight. Temp gauge stays very low, bottom 25% of the gauge. But that engine temps. How about the trans?

What do you guys think?

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #2  
Got pictures?

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #3  
What are you mowing with, a standard brush-hog rotary cutter? 5'?

I think if your temp gauge stays low, and no oil pressure warnings occur, you're generally safe. But it's certainly rather undesirable. The oil pan should allow the pick-up tube to stay submerged at pretty severe angles. If you suck air instead of oil, you'll lose oil pressure FAST. If so, key-off and stomp the brakes to creep down to the bottom and check the oil.

Does the 2501 have a hydraulic oil cooler? Or fan underneath like some other kubotas do?

Does the hill have a less steep side? At the cost of a lot of time, you could only mow when going downhill, then drive back up around to the top. Reading that back after typing it, sounds kinda dumb.

Main thing, I think, would be to try to never do this job on a very hot day (90+). Our tractors appreciate cool temps also. I would feel around the HST circuits; you should be able to touch the HST filters without scalding your hand, IMO. But synthetic hydraulic oil can handle a lot of heat, you'll probably notice drive-ability loss before it truly hurts anything.

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #4  
When I first read your post thought wow strong grade. Then thought on it some. If I am following you it rises about 1 foot for every 3 feet. The rise for a wheel chair ramp is 12 to 1 is what I understand. So your rise is 12 to 4 if I am doing the math correctly. I did not take rulers to view that, only did an estimate and think you are fine. You may want to really measure it to be sure the true grade you are working with.

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #5  
Most if not all engines in tractors are designed to operate at some given slope. What this slope is is usually very hard information to find. Usually going uphill puts the oil towards the pick up tube and downhill moves the oil away from the pick up tube.

No clue on where the pick up is for your HST pump though.

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts?
I really wish I took photos. Did this job on Sunday. When I do the neighbor property, I'll get photos and post them here.

Yep - 5ft brush hog. Various field grasses, some pretty thick, other areas fairly sparse. The L2501 has a hydraulic oil/HST oil cooler in front of the radiator. No noticeable heat issues, but I wasn't touching the transmission case or filters.

I will say, it never skipped a beat, and after the work was done, the tractor actually seemed to run better. I kept an eye on the dash, but also had many other items to pay attention too.

I mentioned a 3:1 slope because that is what I think it averages. There are areas where its steep, but not very concerning. I started with those :) But other areas had me leaning in towards the steering wheel to keep up right and not to lose traction. At one point, the tractor felt light in the front going up. Coming down, I kept the bucket on the ground at some points. The steepest part of the ridge was done by backing up to it from either uphill or down, but never crossing it.

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #7  
I think you are fine, just make sure it dry when you do it.

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #8  
Geez Crashz, where to start ? I guess I'll irritate Kubota people first. I own 3 and they are great machines BUT none except their rare highway maintenance low profile units are designed for very steep ground. For starters you can't get the rear wheels far enough apart for reasonable comfort on steep ground. Two of mine are about the same size and weight as your L2501. I put 6" wheel spacers on each side of the rear of one of mine and that makes a huge difference. I use a 5ft Bush Hog on that one too. Friends did the exact same 6" spacer thing on both an L3400 and on their M6040 and considered it mandatory for safe operation. Second, from what you have told us, you are not on "steep ground" to start with. 3:1 if we interpret you correctly means a 33% slope. Virtually every old farmer in the state of WV mows something steeper than that all the time but rarely with a Kubota because of the rear wheel spacing. I consider a 40% slope routine with very little concern whether going across or up and down. A 50% slope is strictly up and down for me and anything much above 50% I just don't need to mow. Find a place you think is the steepest you have and measure the slope. Maybe it is steeper than your eyeball suggested?? Tires: Are you using AG tires or something else? Makes a big difference if you wish to avoid sliding and losing control a lot. Don't worry about engine, transmission etc. None of those things will care under the conditions you describe. [Note: some larger MF 's have been delivered, mine was, with fuel pickups that would cause the engine to starve for fuel on a 40% slope even with half a tank of fuel (!!!) That I've not seen on a Kubota.]

Anyway this is always a fun subject for discussion. Tell us more.

Slope_--Degres-Ratio_V1 (1).jpg

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts? #9  
You did it safely and what you described safe for your machine. Conditions do change with weather, time of year, limbs, saplings, holes, machinery, etc. ROPS up and seatbelt on?

Probably groundhogs not gopher. Groundhogs have much bigger holes to worry about. That’s where bigger tractors with bigger tires really helps.

Slope Is rise : run. 1:3

High hazard work should pay more. I quit doing custom work long ago. Hard to see the profit margin on small jobs.

Wheel spacers help. Have 2” on the rear of the B26. Liquid ballast in the rear tires helps with traction.

IMG_1419.JPG

Tilt gauges help. I have run two for measuring both planes, but more interested in side slope. Mowing yesterday up to 20 degree no problem. 30 degree real tippy. Have to really watch terrain, speed and FEL position.

/ Steep Slope Mowing Questions/Thoughts?
Thanks guys! To answer some questions:
- R4 tires
- Liquid ballast in the rear tires, gallon of Berrymans in each front.
- Good, dry conditions and south facing slope.
- I normally run my machine with the ROPS folded down. I know its unsafe, but its always on flat ground. For this job, I put the ROPS back up. No way would I do it without the ROPS up and seat belt on.
- Smokeydog, you are probably right, must be groundhog holes. My entire front wheel would fit in the hole and the back could roll over, but with a slight dip.
- Oh - did I mention the Poison Ivy? I applied a blocker (Ivy Block wipes) before mowing, applied sun screen, wore long pants and washed with Tecnu when I got home. I'm covered right now. Worst is my face and scalp!

As far as steepness, I really need to measure it. I was estimating based on known slopes That I have walked extensively. But no hard data. I feel that its steeper than 1:3 (I usually use 3:1 conversationally, but get what you mean Smokey), but I tend to be a little shy on slopes. I've never rolled my tractor, but have seen plenty of heavy equipment and trailer dumps take a tumble. I have no doubt that if I rolled, it would be violent and it wouldn't stop until I reached the road at the bottom.

I'll see about trying to run up there a getting a quick photo tomorrow.