Stihl KM 131R kombi review

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
About a month back we picked up a Stihl KM 131R kombi and wondering if folks here would like a review of it? We did this after 20 or so years of using Echo pole saws. This is the long type of saw that is extendable, not the telescoping out type of saws. We use these saw lots for doing trail clearing, maybe 8 gallons of fuel burned per season. let me know. :D

Attachments

• P1060938.jpg
    P1060938.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 384
  • P1070062.jpg
    P1070062.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 371
  • P1070086.jpg
    P1070086.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 381
   / Stihl KM 131R kombi review #2  
Yes, please. How do you like them?

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review
Thanks for asking mmancuso13. This will take me some time to do but for now, I'll start with fuel and oil caps since I've got some photos of them. They added a screw cap for fuel while a 1/4 turn type for the bar oil. Stihl has improved these over the years and I like them better than the earlier deigned one on my dated MS-260 saw. It works and is easier to operate than the first ones. What I don't like is I can't flip the handle up with gloves on. I might take a razor blade and make it more usable. The screw type on the fuel operates great.

More to follow but I do like this kombi setup better than Echo that we've used for many years.

Attachments

• P1070123.jpg
    P1070123.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 297
  • P1070121.jpg
    P1070121.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 292
As you can see in the comparison photo posted below, the Sthil kombi is a bit shorter than the Echo as a pole saw. The power head is heavier, while the saw attachment is close but could be lighter than the Echo version. The extension part is longer but heavier than Echo's, in fact most parts made by Sthil are heavier but i also bent our Echo shafts many times over the years. What is really better on the Kombi is the connection couplers. Sthil's couplers are so, so must better designed than Echo's and much easier to attach to various parts. This might not sound like a big deal but we are in the field all day and connect and unconnect these couplers many times. The Sthil couplers are much faster to do and hold onto the attachments better. :thumbsup:

More to follow.

Attachments

• P1070219.jpg
    P1070219.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 310
  • P1070220.jpg
    P1070220.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 281
  • P1070221.jpg
    P1070221.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 310
  • P1070222.jpg
    P1070222.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 291
  • P1070223.jpg
    P1070223.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 291
  • P1070224.jpg
    P1070224.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
   / Stihl KM 131R kombi review #5  
Not sure I like the Stihl oil cap the way it is. But agree the connectors look a little sleeker on the Stihl. The power head on the stihl looks like my FS100 but a bit bigger.
So the echo slides while the stihl just add/remove pieces to get the shaft longer?

Any difference in cutting speed so far?Stihl chain better at staying sharp.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #6  
Not sure I like the Stihl oil cap the way it is. But agree the connectors look a little sleeker on the Stihl. The power head on the stihl looks like my FS100 but a bit bigger.
So the echo slides while the stihl just add/remove pieces to get the shaft longer?

Both Echo and Sthil make poles saws in two styles. One telescopes in and out while the other is as you see here, if you'd like to reach higher, you must add the extension part. I'll add a photo of the telescoping style that we don't have, or advise people get. Most people buy this style, then figure out its to heavy to use for very long and in our case, it can't be hauled in our 6x6 because its so long.

Sthil uses a very small 1/4P chain and so far, I'd guess that it cuts a bit slower.

I'll add more comments later. Thanks for the questions Ken.

Attachments

• ECH_PPT-2620.jpg
    ECH_PPT-2620.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 246
   / Stihl KM 131R kombi review #9  
Both Echo and Sthil make poles saws in two styles. One telescopes in and out while the other is as you see here, if you'd like to reach higher, you must add the extension part. I'll add a photo of the telescoping style that we don't have, or advise people get. Most people buy this style, then figure out its to heavy to use for very long and in our case, it can't be hauled in our 6x6 because its so long.

Sthil uses a very small 1/4P chain and so far, I'd guess that it cuts a bit slower.

I'll add more comments later. Thanks for the questions Ken.

I'm not sure if you are referring to the Kombi or the telescoping pole style.
I will be following this as I have the pole saw attachment and am trying to decide if I should trade it or buy a powerhead.
(I bought it to work on my sister's houselot, and borrowed the powerhead which my father had bought.)

Do you ever get the saw stuck while cutting a limb? If so how do you get it out?
While at my sister's place I cut a good sized oak limb which was extending out over the lawn; first and undercut, then a cut through the top. It took out her clothesline when it came down, if I had pinched the bar it would still be there.

Do you have any problems keeping the chain on the bar? How often do you replace either of those items?

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #10  
I have the Sthil Kombi head with several attachments. The pole saw is OK
but you must stay within the limits of all attachments.
Read the directions and "Youtube"

Back to my nap