Stihl KM 131R kombi review

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review
kombi chain attachment review

The saw head has been good so far. With its mini sized chain, all the tolerances in the chain case are tight. I thought the chain cover might get plugged more often, but i can't yet say that's the case so far. The single nut on the case is attached so you can't loose it. Echo uses 2 simple nuts, so we have lost them in the field. The chain tension is easy to adjust and designed pretty much the same as there regular saws.

Jstpssng, Can't say we've had the chain pinched in a branch yet but that does happen to us now and then. We've only ran about 1 gallon of fuel through this machine so far. We have had it pinched in ground logs but no ill effects. I can't say the chain gets dull quicker or not, but it does need to be touched up with a file over the course of the day. Our type of work is hard on chains, so that is normal for our chains. I will complain about finding these super small, 1/8th files for sharpening it.. So far, the only supply we can locale for them is Sthil! The chain seems to stay on the bar fine.

The 1/4 turn oil cap has worked fine so far. So as of today, the saw head is a keeper. More review to come later......

Attachments

• stihl komi saw cover48.jpg
    stihl komi saw cover48.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 136
  • stihl komi saw cover4.jpg
    stihl komi saw cover4.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
   / Stihl KM 131R kombi review #12  
I have been thinking of an upgrade to the kombi... It looks like the power head gives you the power and flexibility to reliably run multiple attachments - always the rub when considering multi use implements

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #13  
I have two Kombi units. It’s my favorite and most used tool by far. I maintain miles of forest roads, cut many shooting lanes, and use it hundreds of hours a year. I have the older style cutter heads,that uses a slightly wider chain. I assume the newer narrow chain works great too. I’ve gone thru a probably 100 chains. ( yes, I’m too lazy to sharpen) Being short, they do dull quickly, and trying to cut saplings close to the ground of course is hard on a chain. And when it’s dull, it becomes ineffective. The Kombi is lightweight, perfectly balanced, can be used overhead with one hand stretching out to reach max height, and is so easy to transport since it breaks down. It fits in any vehicle, ATV or tractor. I can walk with it cutting for hours at a time, and often come back with my grapple to clean up. My technique for roads and lanes is to cut and let it fall perpendicular to the road, and never touch it. Then come back with my grapple and scoop it all up in one pass, catching any stragglers with the box blade, or rake. I cut and create piles endlessly. With two guys cutting right and left, and one guy on the tractor, we can quickly clear miles of roadways that close in every growing season.

I have the extension but rarely use it, as it changes the balance and is harder to use. For those fewer high limbs, I use a professional manual telescopic saw. I also have numerous attachments and use them regularly around the house...the sidewalk edger (works great), the bed definer (requires bigger motor) and several types of articulating hedge trimmers. I love them all. The older style Kombi had the infamous “flippy” gas cap which I hated. I think the newer versions don’t have that.

You can go wrong with a Kombi! I particularly like that the cutting head is far enough away to be safe. So when I’m alone, using it rather than a normal chain saw, is much less dangerous. It has enough power to cut pretty big logs and trees, of course not as fast as my big saw, but works fine in a pinch. And I very rarely get the chain bound in a pinch, but of course you have to use common sense.

All my hunting buddies have the Kombi chainsaws. We cut thousands of saplings and limbs every year, maintaining our hunting land’s roads, trails, and lanes.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #14  
IMG_1237.JPG
All the logging roads and zig zag lanes are shooting lanes planted in clover, oats and peas. There is a stand at every apex often looking several hundred yards in multiple directions. These are trimmed every year with my Kombi saws. Lots of miles.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #15  
Does anyone know the total length of the Kombi pole saw with the extension? I have a cheap Poulan pole saw that is on its last leg. Every time I’m at the Stihl dealer for oil and what not I look at the Stihl pole saws. I have been considering the extendable pole saw which Stihl’s website says has a reach of 11.5’. The website only lists the length of the extension pole for the Kombi extension and not the power head or pole saw attachment.

I like the idea of being able to add the hedge trimmer attachment as it would keep of a ladder to trim our tall hedges. However I also like the extendable polesaw for its ability to be set at any length.

Does anyone know the total length of the Kombi pole saw with the extension? I have a cheap Poulan pole saw that is on its last leg. Every time I’m at the Stihl dealer for oil and what not I look at the Stihl pole saws. I have been considering the extendable pole saw which Stihl’s website says has a reach of 11.5’. The website only lists the length of the extension pole for the Kombi extension and not the power head or pole saw attachment.

Buck, Give me a few hours and I'll measure the length for you. Many folks get the telescoping type pole saw and later discover, its toooooooo heavy to work with.

Last edited:
Here is the length of the unit with pole saw. 1st with just the saw end, then with the extendo added. My little tape is just 10ft.

Attachments

• P1070350.jpg
    P1070350.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 138
  • P1070351.jpg
    P1070351.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 156
The Echo power heads we've used for many, many years are rather round in shape. That is, when you set them on the ground, they readily roll over. When we file chains or do any servicing to the power units, they tend to roll over. Sthil put a wide base on theirs which is much, much better at keeping the power heads upright. You wouldn't believe how much nicer this is work with over the course of the day.

Attachments

• P1070342.jpg
    P1070342.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 102
   / Stihl KM 131R kombi review #19  
Here is the length of the unit with pole saw. 1st with just the saw end, then with the extendo added. My little tape is just 10ft.

Thank you! It appears from what is available on Stihl’s website the extendable pole saw would be about 2 pounds heavier than the Kombi with the extension.

/ Stihl KM 131R kombi review #20  
FYI, one of the best additions to my Kombi 130 (older unit) pole saw head was a carbide chain. It will stand far more touches to ground and still cut. Not as fast as sharp chisel, but not bad.