Stiil have my original mailbox.

/ Stiil have my original mailbox. #1  

Alan W.

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3650 & Bobcat 763G & Craftsman DGS6500
Wife said mailbox door was about to fall off and that I needed to put up a new one.
She doesnt understand. I put that mailbox up Dec. 85. Its been vandalized numerous times, knocked off by the snowplows a few times, hit by the school bus plus suffered the ravages of time. But each time Ive fixed it and kept it painted. This time the door pivot had wore through so I brazed some washers on it and with a few bolts and locknuts I was back in business. When I tell her Ive had that mailbox longer than Ive had her shes not amused. It still works and Im a keepin it.
Surely Im not the only one that fixes instead of replaceing.

/ Stiil have my original mailbox. #2  
I replaced the first wife but I’m more of a fixer now! Sentimental is sentimental- no one has to understand anything more than it’s important to you. I’d say keep it going!

/ Stiil have my original mailbox. #3  
Have the mailbox that came from my grandmothers house when they moved from Woodruff SC to Greenville SC in 1942. Not out on the paved road but is at the end of 1/2 mile driveway next to the house. Wife backed into it with her van ,door doesn't close perfect anymore. Keep it if it makes u happy.

/ Stiil have my original mailbox. #4  
Usually I try to fix things instead of tossing them but then sometimes when I have had all I want to take I end up replacing it and wonder why I waited so long.

/ Stiil have my original mailbox.
Usually I try to fix things instead of tossing them but then sometimes when I have had all I want to take I end up replacing it and wonder why I waited so long.

You are still talkin about a mailbox right😉

/ Stiil have my original mailbox. #6  
   / Stiil have my original mailbox. #7  
I had a nice HD diamond plate box that would take about any abuse....except what just happened a few days ago. A car lost control and slid sideways into it and throwing the box and broken post 80 ft. If I was still working, I'd clamp it down to the acorn weld table and tweek it back into shape because it isn't too bad. The car will be totaled I'm sure.

/ Stiil have my original mailbox. #8  
my mail box is I am guessing 60 plus years old was my parents, it has been nearly smashed flat twice, knocked down I do not know how may times, finally got the road crew to haul out some gravel, and now have it moved off the road edge about 5 feet, and my good old neighbor passed away a few years ago, and that has helped a lot, since he has not taken it out with his farm equipment,

always fun,

/ Stiil have my original mailbox. #9  
I've had 3 new mailboxes in the 37 years out here. It's kids in pickups with baseball bats. They will drive down the county road and smash 30-40 at a time. Finally got a heavy duty plastic one. They have whacked it a few times but no damage. Haven't had any problems for the last 10-12 years. Somebody got a license number - called it in to LEO. Next thing I heard - the FBI & Assistant Postmaster General were discussing it with some parents.

I never knew but futzing with mailboxes and mail within is a federal crime.

/ Stiil have my original mailbox. #10  
I've had 3 new mailboxes in the 37 years out here. It's kids in pickups with baseball bats. They will drive down the county road and smash 30-40 at a time. Finally got a heavy duty plastic one. They have whacked it a few times but no damage. Haven't had any problems for the last 10-12 years. Somebody got a license number - called it in to LEO. Next thing I heard - the FBI & Assistant Postmaster General were discussing it with some parents.

I never knew but futzing with mailboxes and mail within is a federal crime.

We've lived here for nearly 50 years; I'm on my third mailbox. The first was destroyed by a game of mailbox baseball; the second was a plastic one that survived several of those games. It was replaced several years ago; now I can't even recall why.