Stolen Tractors and Bigfoot

/ Stolen Tractors and Bigfoot #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
Over the years, there has been a lot of discussion on how to secure your equipment, myself included, but I just did a search, and what I found was mostly second hand stories about stolen tractors.

Has anyone on TBN actually had a tractor stolen?

If so would you share some details and/or lessons learned?

Last edited:
   / Stolen Tractors and Bigfoot #2  
Thank goodness have never had one stolen but, I have seen one going down the road with no lights on in the middle of the night. It seemed a bit suspicious to me at 2:30 AM.

/ Stolen Tractors and Bigfoot #3  
I had an attempted theft on one. It was parked on a trailer at a Raddison motel in Spartanburg SC. They tried to steal the whole truck trailer and tractor. They were professionals and probably working with the motel employees. The truck alarm was aftermarket and killed power to the starter so they failed at stealing it. I’ve never had a theft on a machine by itself. I pay insurance on most of my stuff. Anything I didn’t insure, I’d do something to make it not start with the key.

Last edited:
   / Stolen Tractors and Bigfoot #4  
I had an attempted theft on one. It was parked on a trailer at a Raddison motel in Spartanburg SC. They tried to steal the whole truck trailer and tractor. They were professionals and probably working with the motel employees. The truck alarm was aftermarket and killed power to the starter so they failed at stealing it. I’ve never had a theft on a machine by itself. I pay insurance on most of my stuff. Anything I don’t I’d do something to make it not start with the key.
For those you intrested in doing something in order to disable the machine. There are some ideas on YouTube.

/ Stolen Tractors and Bigfoot #5  
I haven't but know those who lost pieces and parts from road side bandits.

/ Stolen Tractors and Bigfoot #7  
Lost a Lawn tractor. It was locked inside a pole barn. Thieves Broke down the walk door. The door jamb held, the deadbolt was locked. They used enough force to bend the door until the deadbolt came out of the jamb. Unfortunately no other measures were use to secure the tractor.

Once inside, they opened the overhead door, removed the tractor, and closed it afterwards. Door could be seen from the road about 150' away.

Insurance was for replacement value.

/ Stolen Tractors and Bigfoot #8  
I have a Bigfoot that sleeps in my backhoe and watches over my other equipment. ;)

/ Stolen Tractors and Bigfoot #9  
Only had one western saddle stolen out of an unlocked horse trailer. Broad daylight, we were away for a few hours and did not discover the theft until the next day. Local LEO’s were next to worthless in their interest to even fill out a report.
Tractor, truck and motor equipment all stored inside behind locked doors. Workshop is off limits to all except close personal friends.

B. John

/ Stolen Tractors and Bigfoot #10  
Gee, we only ever lock our house is overnight. Have never locked the garages with a 6x6 and garden tractor in one and lots of tools in both of them. Keys are in the ignition so we don't lose them :).....