Stopping re growth of cut brush

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #1  

Budweiser John

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
Last Christmas Santa brought me a Husky handlebar style brush cutter. Now having exercised said cutter, I’m wondering what is the most effective and perhaps the least expensive chemical I can spray on the stumps to prevent future re-growth?
if any one has a magic potion commercial or home brewed, I would sincerely appreciate a heads up.
Thanks....
B. John

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #2  
I guess it depends on the type of tree. I’ve had good success drilling a bunch of 3/8” or so holes in the face of the stump and then filling it with Crossbow. For willows I don’t dilute, just fill the holes with a few tablespoons of this nastiness.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush
Just a point of clarification on my brush removal.
Everything I’m on the warpath for Is 1 to 3” in diameter.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #4  
I've carried a squirt bottle filled with a Crossbow clone (~$55/gal) and give the "stumps" a few squirts.
I tend to get some dead vegetation around them due to splash, but not much.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #5  
I’d still try the Crossbow trick (without holes I thought you were talking larger stumps). I’ve done this with Scotch Broom and am able to easily dig out the 1-2” stump within a month or two.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #6  
RM43 is my favorite, over the counter, total vegetation control. I just bought a 2 1/2 gallon jug of it for $110 to spray my roads and fences. Hopefully I'll be able to do it tomorrow. It's not like roundup, where you have to spray the leaves to kill stuff. With RM43, if you spray it, it's dead!!!

I haven't bought it from Home Depot before, but here is a link so you'll know what I'm talking about.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #7  
Last Christmas Santa brought me a Husky handlebar style brush cutter. Now having exercised said cutter, I’m wondering what is the most effective and perhaps the least expensive chemical I can spray on the stumps to prevent future re-growth?
if any one has a magic potion commercial or home brewed, I would sincerely appreciate a heads up.
Thanks....
B. John
For Russian Olive bushes and suckers, vines and multi flora rose clumps I cut at ground level and spray Tordon RTU with some water - mixed in an old windex bottle.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #8  
I've always painted stumps with concentrated glyphosate (or Roundup). Just need to go around the outer ~ 1/2 inch or so to get the cambiem. This has worked on bigger stumps. Recently, on some Trees of Heaven, I drilled 1/2 inch holes about 3/4 to 1 inch deep around them and squirted maybe 5 cc of concentrated glyphosate into the holes.

Did this with paiinting of stumps of Autumn Olive winter before last, but it did not stop most of them. Lots have several little sprouts growing up 8 to 10 inches out of the stump on. Also have several that have come up from seed elsewhere, plus some oriental bittersweet that did the same.

Had one landscaper outfit come in and got an estimate: about $3,200 and 64 gallons of herbicide estimated. Waiting for a 2nd one to give their estimate. This first outfit has little environmental responsibility.

Thinking now of using the double glove technique: put nitrile gloves on over both hands and then put a cotton glove over a nitrile on one hand. Saturate glove with glyphosate and smear upright plant (all small) through the glove. Hoping my legs will improve via acupuncture now to allow me to do this. The wife does not want to mess with the stuff, but I may get her to carry the bucket of mix (won't need full strength on foliage but higher strength than normal).

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #9  
The RM43 is glyphosate; cheapest glyphosate I've seen locally was at Tractor Supply. For soil environmental, but not necessarily atmospheric environmental consideration, I offer 2-stroke fuel. Persistent mowing to preclude any greenery transferring energy to the roots will eventually kill the plant.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #10  
I use this for olive stumps. RM-43 is glypho with imazapyr to discourage regrowth.

Attachments

• weedwick.jpg
    weedwick.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 231