Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items?

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
For years, I've used an old plastic storage bin/tool box for storing the odds and ends of my woodcutting gear. It was a hardware store find, 30"x18"x14". I kept in it: a metal 50 cal ammo can with small tools and supplies (chainsaw sharpening tools, bar rail dresser, various hand tools & ax for driving wedges, spare bar nuts, mix oil, spare chains, stump vise, etc), first aid kit in an orange plastic "fake" ammo can, Felling wedges, Tool belt (with axe, log tongs, mini first aid kid, scabbard for axe), tree protector straps. Basically, it had everything I needed for a day felling and bucking trees in the woods other than the chainsaws, gas, bar oil, peavey and choker chains. I'd just grab it and throw it in my truck or firewood trailer and know that I had everything I needed. Even with the gear inside, it was light enough to easily lift into my truck or trailer or into the back of my Coot (antique UTV)

chainsaw tool box.jpg

As you can see if you look closely at the picture, after years of use, the plastic is cracked in a few places. I need to find a replacement, hopefully of a little better quality. This one was never quite weather tight: it kept the worst of the weather out, but things always got a little damp inside if I was out in the rain or snow. It's no longer sold in my local hardware stores. I could look for the same thing, but thought I'd ask for recommendations. I'd love to find something that holds a similar volume, but at least a bit more weatherproof, but still relatively light weight.

Any suggestions?

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #2  
We use this one. Its made to hold a little fuel can as well. I found it doesn't need to be waterproof. I can't find the make at this time.
sawbox.b.jpg
boss works98.jpg

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items?
ArlyA - What's that one called, and where do you find it?

I don't need completely waterproof, but my old one did not have a very well designed lid, so water got in during even a moderate rain, and snow on top would melt down and run inside. Yours looks like a better lid design.

Last edited:
   / Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #4  
What's that one called, and where do you find it?

I don't need completely waterproof, but my old one did not have a very well designed lid, so water got in during even a moderate rain, and snow on top would melt down and run inside. Yours looks like a better lid design.
I found it. I drilled holes in the main tube to add internal accessories.

Plano Storage Trunk - 56 Quart (1619) - Hunter Green, Small​

• Plano Storage Trunk - 56 Quart (1619) - Hunter Green, Small

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #5  

I have the Ridgid Storage system . Tough lockable , water resistant and the three boxes can be separated. The wheels on the big box are nice if you have hard surfaces to roll them on . Good price also !

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #6  
If you don't mind the cost Milwaukee has some very nice boxes out now at HD that would work. But they are proud of them.

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #7  
I'm using a Greenlee Job Box. Fits 3 saws, oil, gas, helmet, straps, choker slings, snatch block and still has room to spare. With wheels it will roll right under my work bench when I get to building it.

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items?
Any comments on how these stand up to cold weather would also be appreciated. If they get very brittle in cold weather, that's a problem for me. It will be stored in an unheated garage and used outdoors 4 seasons of the year here in VT (though I am getting to the point where I don't do much outside work when it's below 15˚F)

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #9  
99% of our work in in the field, so the saw box needs to go with us. Saw's don't go in it and if its so large in needs wheels, it doesn't work for us.. Cold doesn't bother it. I should add that I drilled holes in its bottom 4 corners to let water out. :)
boss in snow084.jpg

/ Storage/tool box for chainsaw related items? #10  
I'm using a Greenlee Job Box. Fits 3 saws, oil, gas, helmet, straps, choker slings, snatch block and still has room to spare. With wheels it will roll right under my work bench when I get to building it.
What wheel set up can you get locally for a job box?