Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #361  
Wouldn't it make more sense if education was about learning things rather than being about jobs?

Then it would apply to everything.

“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”​

― Frank Zappa

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #362  
Tough choice :cool:

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #363  

“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”​

― Frank Zappa
I was going to make a more subtle reference to that in my last post but then changed my mind 😂

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #364  
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #366  

― Frank Zappa
my buddy in oregon went to high school with frank zappa. said he was straight as an arrow.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #367  
I am going to refer to this thread when I get it for spinning off,,,, hahaha

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #368  
Wouldn't it make more sense if education was about learning things rather than being about jobs?
Most universities would argue that’s exactly what they’re doing. Where it falls apart is that in reality they do neither outside of a few small exceptions. When I was a junior in college (many decades ago) I got hired into what is now a top 5 tech company. In the first month they taught me more than I learned in a decade of formal schooling, which is when I dropped out because it was a waste of my time.

Today that same company has an 18 month training program for new college hires because even they know that a college grad knows nothing of value. That’s 18 months of intense 40 hour a week, state of the art learning and industry exposure, not 18 months of lazy 15 hour weeks like in college. And unlike college, they’re paid to do it.

That begs the question “why do companies require a degree when they know it does nothing?” Two reasons:

1. A college degree demonstrates you can be where you’re supposed to be, do what you’re supposed to do, and have the drive to get things done in a faceless bureaucracy that throws roadblocks in your way at every opportunity.

2. When you have 300 people applying for a single job opening you need ways to cut that number down to something manageable.

Where we run into problems is that we charge kids $100,000 for that, and we tell every kid they need to do it. As we see with the student loan crisis and sweater folding jobs requiring a degree, it’s a system that long term is unsustainable.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #369  
Most universities would argue that’s exactly what they’re doing. Where it falls apart is that in reality they do neither outside of a few small exceptions. When I was a junior in college (many decades ago) I got hired into what is now a top 5 tech company. In the first month they taught me more than I learned in a decade of formal schooling, which is when I dropped out because it was a waste of my time.

Today that same company has an 18 month training program for new college hires because even they know that a college grad knows nothing of value. That’s 18 months of intense 40 hour a week, state of the art learning and industry exposure, not 18 months of lazy 15 hour weeks like in college. And unlike college, they’re paid to do it.

That begs the question “why do companies require a degree when they know it does nothing?” Two reasons:

1. A college degree demonstrates you can be where you’re supposed to be, do what you’re supposed to do, and have the drive to get things done in a faceless bureaucracy that throws roadblocks in your way at every opportunity.

2. When you have 300 people applying for a single job opening you need ways to cut that number down to something manageable.

Where we run into problems is that we charge kids $100,000 for that, and we tell every kid they need to do it. As we see with the student loan crisis and sweater folding jobs requiring a degree, it’s a system that long term is unsustainable.
You make great points and I would add to that list that it shows ambition.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #370  
"The United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers (UAW) announced Saturday it reached a tentative agreement with John Deere."

Status
Not open for further replies.