Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #501  
Perhaps they are overpaid, I'm not going to argue on that point but I can tell you it's not a 9-5 m-f job. It's their life. It's a massive amount of responsibility and a few bad moves could wreck the lives of many people. It looks simple from the outside looking in but I assure you it's not. Every hour of their life is accounted for on a calendar.....

I can only imagine. A friend was head of global sales in the semi conductor industry, his 10 hour work day (which usually ended up being 12) was divided and scheduled in 15 minute segments every day. He said it was so nice after retiring when he divided his day into 2 segments, AM and PM.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #502  
I can only imagine. A friend was head of global sales in the semi conductor industry, his 10 hour work day (which usually ended up being 12) was divided and scheduled in 15 minute segments every day. He said it was so nice after retiring when he divided his day into 2 segments, AM and PM.
Hopefully he was well compensated.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #503  
The day
I know two physicians that encouraged their children to become veterinarians, not doctors. Equal or greater earning power with substantially less liability.

Besides, wouldn't you prefer to care for a friendly dog compared to a grouchy litigious patient?
The day of the sole practitioner is slowly coming to a close and two biggest reasons as I see it are regulatory compliance both in the practice of medicine and HR plus dealing with insurance reimbursements.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #507  
My self employed brother is 2100 per month for family of 5 with 10k deductible…

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #508  
I was paying about the same ten years ago for my wife and I, over $26K per year ($2,200 per month, $13 per hour) before being Medicare eligible. I'm not sure people who have health insurance included by their employer take this completely into consideration.
Was their some kind of pre existing conditions that would warrant that kind of premium? (P.S I'm not trying to pry into your health records as it's none of my business)

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #509  
It's just what it costs and costs very widely depending on geographic location.

My retired Union Butcher neighbor uses his entire pension check of 35 years to cover he and his wife in addition to Medicare... they are both in their 90's...

He doesn't want to loose the Union Plan.

Self employed with a family can be brutal.

This is why some have little sympathy for strikes after offers made and rejected.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #510  
Let's do the math on that...

Let's say you make $10,000 per year (for ease of math).

$10,000 + 10% the first year.

$10,000 + $1000 = $11,000

+ 5% in year 3.

$11,000 + $550 = $11,550

+ 5% in year 5.

$11,550 + $577.50 = $12,127.50

Then add on the $8500 ratification bonus. Spread that on top in 1/5 increments.

$8500 / 5 = $1700

$11,000 + $1700 = $12,700 1st year
$12,700 2nd year
$11,550 + $1700 = $13,200 3rd year
$13,200 4th year
$12,127,50 + $1700 5th year = $13,827.50 5th year.

That's a 38.275% pay increase by year 5.

Then it's time to renegotiate a new contract.

Good grief.
Yeah I was astonished that the UAW did not accept that offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.