Stubborn Mule Saga

/ Stubborn Mule Saga #1  

wasabi

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT2445 and PT1850
At the risk of looking quite foolish and attracting arrows, I have to share our saga of our stubborn mule. She flat out quit a few weeks ago while coming down the trail leading back to the workshop after a run through the woods. We have been diddling with it (I’m too stubborn to haul it to a dealer for (free) warranty service!) for three weekends now.

My very first hit was that we must have snagged a wire (should have listened to myself). All indications were it was not getting gas. I disconnected the hose to the carburetor and sure enough, no gas. Changed the fuel filter….still no gas….checked the air filter….very clean….decided it must be either the fuel pump or the relay, so ordered both and brought them with this weekend, installed one, tested to no avail, installed the other, same thing, cussed a bunch and sat for a minute to ponder……now, I’m an hour into it, gas all over me and in puddles under the unit. At this point I’ve tried everything and still no luck. Very frustrating!. So, I go back over the whole thing with a fine tooth comb and behold, a loose wire on the starter capacitor down at the bottom of the engine. I plug it in, now KNOWING that was the problem. My lovely wife suggests we start it up, but oh no I say, (stubbornly), first I’m going to replace the old, but perfectly fine fuel pump and relay so I can take them back (unused). Finally get that done, button it all back up and crank her over…..she starts right up. Now for the SAGA part…..

This is a low hour engine that was running great when it suddenly stopped…..now it sounds like a cement mixer! Frantically, I shut it down, fearing the worst, but clueless as to how this could possibly occur. After a couple of minutes checking around, convinced I dropped a wrench in the wrong place or something, I come to the conclusion that it must be something else. Carefully, I instruct me wif to crank it over but be prepared to turn it right off. She fires it up while I’m huddled under the tilt bed, listening and watching for anything that might explain this. It coughs, catches, and proceeds to rattle like it is coming apart at the seams. Then, flying out of the exhaust port from the torque converter I see chunks of dog food! Not a piece or two, I’m talking about a steady stream. Seems some rodent found the private entry, great room, food storage space and protection from the weather irresistible and he moved in with all the food he could carry!!

An hour or so later, after taking apart the housing, clearing out said rodent’s stash and reassembling, it fires up, but now has absolutely no acceleration. Check all linkage, go back through every possible known dog food or branch related issue, to no avail. Now, I’m really pissed, but it is too late to finish. To dinner we go.

Finally, the next morning, after removing the carburetor cover I find a small linkage arm has popped off its stub, probably from my wife’s frantic pedal pumping attemts to start it…we pop it back on and we’re off and running.

All in all, the better part of a day saga, most of it at the expense of a rodent invasion!

All orfices on said mule now closed with steel wool to prevent further invasions, but we’re still getting cats!

/ Stubborn Mule Saga #2  
wasabi,

Funny story/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Do rodents celebrate April 1st? If so, somewhere one is laughing his A$$ off.
Al

/ Stubborn Mule Saga
Unfortunately for our free time, said rodent is laughing at our expense....I'll tell you this, I wasn't laughing while knee deep in that dog food, but now that the &^%$*& mule is fixed I can see the humor of it all. My lovely wife, on the other hand, did manage to laugh all the way through it, much to my chagrin.

/ Stubborn Mule Saga #4  
Excellant story of how strange bizzar things can happen.
Glad to see things worked out OK and that you can now sit back and have a chuckle over the whole thing.

/ Stubborn Mule Saga #5  
Wasabi, Been there done that... had the same thing happen to one of my off road Motorcycles... seems a mouse ate his way into the airbox through the air filter and proceeded to fill the cavity with food et al. Took some time to figure it out! Not funny when it is happening but pretty funny after its over. By the way were you able to bring the fuel pump and relay back?

/ Stubborn Mule Saga
They are in the back of my explorer....curiously, the dealer is closed Sundays and Mondays. I'll drop it off in the morn...I've a good raport with them and they're quite understanding, so I'm sure it won't be a problem. I'm just glad that little task is off the list so I can use the mule for what it was intended instead of looking at it and wondering what happened. Everthing happens for a reason...in this case we got very familiar with all aspects of this rig...if anything else happens, there won't be so much mystery left.

/ Stubborn Mule Saga #7  
Yep, I've had days like that. Stories like that are very funny and entertaining . . . when they happen to someone else./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Stubborn Mule Saga
Right you are, Bird. Right you are.

/ Stubborn Mule Saga #9  
Speaking of cats. Before buying them or getting them from the shelter (you have to pay for the shots), try checking with a local cat rescue org. My neighbor spent over $150 dollars getting a cat spayed and innoculated.

Two weeks later, my wife happened upon an add for a locat cat rescue operation. We got two ferral cats to guard the barn from critters for $0 (already neutered and innoculated). They even delivered a months worth of cat food and litter.