Stuck PTO shaft

/ Stuck PTO shaft #21  
A 50/50 mix od Acetone and ATF is the most potent solvent I have ever used, Kroil is next. If you try this mix, it must be stored in a metal or glass (not recommended) container.

/ Stuck PTO shaft #22  
So what do you use on the PTO shaft? Grease, used oil?

/ Stuck PTO shaft
Thanks to all on your suggested tips. I inverted the shaft and sprayed wd40 and carb cleaner down between the two shafts. It eventually made its way down in . I then chucked one end of the shaft in a Vice, but loosely so i could slide the whole setup like a slide hammer. It finally came loose after about five good slams.

/ Stuck PTO shaft #24  
I use Fluid Film. No problems after 8 years in this wet-then-dry climate.

Bruce

/ Stuck PTO shaft #25  
So what do you use on the PTO shaft? Grease, used oil?
EVERY time I'm going to use the tractors pto shaft, I spray it with wd40, then I spray wd40 into the female half of the pto shaft and work it back and forth a couple times. I also spray the locking button or collar on the yoke and make sure it's free.

This makes hookup MUCH easier and the wd40 evaporates, leaving things dry enough so they don't collect dirt, everything works just fine the next time I need it...

I store them apart and that's it, until I use that tool again...

SR

/ Stuck PTO shaft #26  
To the guy who used his PTO to pull the telescoping shaft apart:
BE CAREFUL! Most PTO shafts are held into the tractor by a snap ring or other not-so-robust means. Don’t pull hard on this or you will have some strange, expensive-looking oily parts fully visible behind the tractor.
Even the whole casting that holds the PTO output bearing and seal has been known to fracture when a shaft puts end pressure on it.

PS. Rereading this, it may be that repowell unhooked the shaft from the tractor and got the tractor out of the way, not used it to pull the stuck shaft apart.

Last edited:
   / Stuck PTO shaft
I finally got this thing apart. The grease on the internal shaft was like baked hard carbon. I ended up cleaning it, and used a final pass with a flap sander wheel. So what is the best lubricant to use?

/ Stuck PTO shaft #29  
One other thing to be aware of.... I had the same problem with the shaft on my Woods 990 mower for years. Did all the above plus checking for burs and bumps on the shaft ends.
It would still get stuck on a regular basis, usually about an inch or two from enough length to put it on the PTO shaft of the tractor.
I finally discovered it was the safety shield tubes around the shaft. So now I squirt some PCL or other thin lubricant where they slide together before pulling the shaft out and it works perfectly.

/ Stuck PTO shaft #30  
I finally got this thing apart. The grease on the internal shaft was like baked hard carbon. I ended up cleaning it, and used a final pass with a flap sander wheel. So what is the best lubricant to use?
NONE, until you are putting it together, then spray it with wd40...

It's NOT a bearing, it moves very little in use...

SR