Stupid trailer owners

/ Stupid trailer owners #1  

podagrower

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC 40
I know my trailer is too short to carry my TC40, fel, and bushhog. I like it that way. It keeps me from thinking I can make a living doing tractor work. It also keeps family and friends from thinking my tractor can be borrowed.

With that being said, I saw someone today who lacked this critical knowledge. Picture this: A Dodge Durango pulling a 16? foot tandem axle trailer with a John Deere tractor, fel, and bushhog on it. I would guess the tractor to be a size smaller than mine (35 horse?). As he was going down the road, the tailwheel form the bushhog was on the road:eek: .

I suppose buing a new tailwheel every 6 months is cheaper than buying that 20' trailer:D .

/ Stupid trailer owners #2  
I had the same problem, trailer too small for the tractor/bushhog, so I just took the tailwheel assembly off. Beats spending the money replacing it when it wears out from dragging on the asphalt.
David from jax

/ Stupid trailer owners #3  
Not that I need or want to haul my tractor anywhere but with a flail mower I won't have the overhang problem. :D :D

Vernon

Last edited:
   / Stupid trailer owners #4  
sandman2234 said:
I had the same problem, trailer too small for the tractor/bushhog, so I just took the tailwheel assembly off. Beats spending the money replacing it when it wears out from dragging on the asphalt.
David from jax

I do the exact same thing. It takes less than a minute for on/off. I figure that is a good tradeoff. It keeps me from having to pay for tags and registration on the trailer too.

/ Stupid trailer owners #5  
How low are your trailers that the tailwheel is dragging? I have put my TN with loader and 6' brush chopper on a 16' trailer once. The wheel hung off the back of the trailer but no where near the road as my trailer deck is 2' off the ground. The only way I could see it being possible is if you intentionally lengthen the top link so that the wheel would drag.

I just set my cutter deck down and put a strap over it and tied a flag to the wheel. I only recall having to haul that combo once. When I get a larger trailer it won't matter then unless I put two tractors on at once.

/ Stupid trailer owners #6  
I flipped the wheel.
Pull the key drop the wheel then put the wheel on top and insert the key.

Looks weird but keeps the wheel off the ground.

Roland

/ Stupid trailer owners #7  
podagrower said:
I know my trailer is too short to carry my TC40, fel, and bushhog. I like it that way. It keeps me from thinking I can make a living doing tractor work. It also keeps family and friends from thinking my tractor can be borrowed.

With that being said, I saw someone today who lacked this critical knowledge. Picture this: A Dodge Durango pulling a 16? foot tandem axle trailer with a John Deere tractor, fel, and bushhog on it. I would guess the tractor to be a size smaller than mine (35 horse?). As he was going down the road, the tailwheel form the bushhog was on the road:eek: .

I suppose buing a new tailwheel every 6 months is cheaper than buying that 20' trailer:D .
Just paid 170.00 for one it goes in the tool box from now on

/ Stupid trailer owners #8  
Robert_in_NY said:
The only way I could see it being possible is if you intentionally lengthen the top link so that the wheel would drag.

Maybe the guy was overweighted and therefor thought he'd use a tag axle :D :D

/ Stupid trailer owners #9  
rcowan said:
I flipped the wheel.
Pull the key drop the wheel then put the wheel on top and insert the key.

Looks weird but keeps the wheel off the ground.

Roland

And just think, there are people who have followed you down the road thinking "I wonder if that guy knows his bushhog wheel is upside down?"

...or worse yet, they become afraid that maybe the wheel on their bushhog is upside down and yours is right-side up!

/ Stupid trailer owners #10  
Robert_in_NY said:
How low are your trailers that the tailwheel is dragging? I have put my TN with loader and 6' brush chopper on a 16' trailer once. The wheel hung off the back of the trailer but no where near the road as my trailer deck is 2' off the ground. The only way I could see it being possible is if you intentionally lengthen the top link so that the wheel would drag.

I just set my cutter deck down and put a strap over it and tied a flag to the wheel. I only recall having to haul that combo once. When I get a larger trailer it won't matter then unless I put two tractors on at once.

If the trailer has a beavertail on the back and the cutter is positioned back too far it is very possible for the tailwheel to drag