Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations

nhb1022

I love having my little tractor on 6 acres, but I would go bigger by 1-2 sizes for 15 acres.
How dense are your trees and how much slope if any?
My neighbor has the next size up Kubota and he really likes that, but uses a ZTR for mowing.

With 15 acres, you may need to do tree cleanup and you might want trails in the future.
I can do those with my tractor and I love the BH for trenching and stumps. Great for planting trees and bushes too.
I have a Kubota 2680 with the front mount 50" snowblower. LOVE IT. I have a Curtis cab on it also. Does a great job.

Attachments

• 20181128_171428.jpg
    20181128_171428.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 20181128_171347.jpg
    20181128_171347.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32

Williy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT 235C Yannar YRC 60 rotary cutter, Yanmar RT72 rotary tiller B75 Backhoe & bucket & thumb, LS land grader
I do believe that the LS company will be around for a
long time. The LS tractor line was right next to the
Yanmar tractors. One of the LS tractors has the lever
on the back so you can raise or lower the 3pt hitch so
its a little easier to hook up your attachments. The LS
tractors are sturdy and well built tractors not like the
plastic JD's one dealer said that the JD plastic hood if
anything hit it it would bounce off but I don't believe it
as when the temp hits more than 20 degrees below zero JD plastic crap becomes very brittle but you can
always take the bank and buy a new one from JD!!!

willy

TKBlanc

Tractor
New Holland TC24A
I am looking for recommendations for a sub-compact or compact tractor. Right now my wife and I have a smaller property (1.2 acres). We have property that we will be building on in the next few years (15 acres with a ~600-800ft planned driveway). I am looking to get a front mount blower, front loader, and belly mower for the time being. We are planning a 1.5-2 acre finish cut area at this time. If I need a backhoe I will rent one. Another usage will be at my family cabin for doing some light work moving dirt and moving wood around.

I'd like to stick to a company that I can expect to have a long service life (IE 20-30 year part availability) which has really pointed me toward units like a JD 1025R or Kubota BX2680.
This might not be the most important reply, especially if you know equipment, but I bought a really nice NH TC24DA from a neighbor moving to a smaller place.

It's too big. Can't get through most of my gates, is cumbersome to mow with, and does un-necessary damage to the lawn. Great tractor, but it is possible to regret buying a compact rather than a subcompact.

Username Taken

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CX2510 HST
Im not worried about the unit lasting a week or two, just want to make sure dealer support will be there in 2040.

LS is a very big, very serious, worldwide Company. They will be here in 2040 as long as idiots in DC don't allow the world to be destroyed by other idiots.

But they have growing pains. One of which (and not to be taken lightly) is the fact they are growing so fast. Not just here, but all over the world.

But they're getting it worked out. Whether your Dealer will be here in 2040, or even next year, is another matter.

I initially came to this forum trying to check up on LS. Things (most of them bad) have happened in the meantime but I'm still interested in them.

I'm also interested in other Korean and Japanese brands. The UAW can kiss my pasty white butt.

badger123

Tractor
Bobcat CT235
I am a Wisconsin guy too. 15+ years ago I bought 7 acres with a horse barn. We built a house and have a fairly long driveway ~300 ft, part wooded, part field, part lawn & landscape. I decided to go with a BX22 w/ a mid-mount mower. What I realized over time is that an all in one solution is at best average for each solution. I sold my BX22 and got a 52" zero turn & CT2035 Bobcat Tractor. I am sooooo much happier. Mowing doesn't take any time at all and I now have a number of 6ft 3pt attachments that really get the job done. When a tree falls having the big FEL is an awesome time and back saver.

This is not a cheap solution, I think I spent ~25K, but I wouldn't go back to MMM setup.
Tractor.JPG

mcascia

Tractor
new holland TC33
I have a 20+ acre vineyard and need to mow between the rows weekly. We've had a few garden type tractors early on that all died within a yr or two (don't get one) before settling on a JD2305 with a 62" belly mower. It has been 12 years now and the only real issue we had was the failure of the power shaft from the PTO to the mower (bearings wore out). It does a great job though but is underpowered for running tillers and bigger 3pt equipment. I also have a 1998 New Holland TC33 that going on 22yrs for bigger jobs with front end loader and 3pt attachments (flail mower, bushhog, finish mower, sprayers, etc) which has been the workhorse for me. I recently added a JD4720 with a cab to power my multirow sprayer (spraying is actually fun now) and for heavier duty jobs in the wooded areas. Its a great tractor.

quarencia

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230 & B3200
I have both a BX2230 and a B3200 Kubota. Both have 60” belly mowers. If your use will be 80-90% mowing, I’d go with the BX. The cut quality is largely the same, but my B3200 front tires and overall weight are very hard on a finished lawn. I have to limit turn radius or front tires really tear tracks out of yard. The BX tires have a completely flat tread face/profile while the Bs are rounded and dig in more.

BX floats on wet soft ground for mowing much better than the B also. The B3200 quickly sinks on really wet soft spots in the yard. It doesn’t get stuck and isn’t about to, it’s just hell on the lawn. It has to be soup before the BX starts leaving ruts.

Just my experience.

Wineguy

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1725MB
I am looking for recommendations for a sub-compact or compact tractor. Right now my wife and I have a smaller property (1.2 acres). We have property that we will be building on in the next few years (15 acres with a ~600-800ft planned driveway). I am looking to get a front mount blower, front loader, and belly mower for the time being. We are planning a 1.5-2 acre finish cut area at this time. If I need a backhoe I will rent one. Another usage will be at my family cabin for doing some light work moving dirt and moving wood around.

I'd like to stick to a company that I can expect to have a long service life (IE 20-30 year part availability) which has really pointed me toward units like a JD 1025R or Kubota BX2680.
I did quite a bit of research when I had the same question. I talked to mechanics at dealers about any mechanical issues, talked to other users, parts availability, as well as many other questions I felt I needed to ask.

I ended up getting a Massey GC1725MB. You don’t require the (B) part though, as you said you didn’t want a backhoe.

It‘s a 25 hp, diesel, 4wd unit.

I have the quick connect on loader, so I easily toggle between my bucket & set of forks.

I have the following accessories/attachments:

60” mid mount drive over mower.
50” front mount snow blower w/ chute rotation control
backhoe
front loader
forks
block heater

I have about 3.5 acres that I keep up. I only have 70 hrs on it thus far, but couldn’t be happier.

Frogmore

Tractor
Kubota B2620
Interesting thread with lots of opinions. I'll tell my story. Maybe it will help you.

In 2006, we moved to our new house on 10 acres, mostly wooded. In 2007, we paid a contractor to re-open the trails that had grown over, while we were building the house. We also went to the Deere dealer to get a mower. I was thinking the 100 series, because I liked the price. Then I test drove it and the X300. It was no contest. But, I knew so little then. The X300 was really not a great choice for my property and how I wanted to use the mower. Had I got the 100 series I would have had to solve the problem much sooner. But, the X300 kept working.

Later that year, I discovered that vegetation (beyond grass, which I already knew) does not manage itself. The trails were closing in. I got a Stihl brush cutter to help. It worked great, but what to do with all the cuttings. Just mowing over them didn't really work.

I bought a lawnmower towable chipper. It was fun for a few hours. But, chipping all the debris from a few hours of cutting took a couple of days of chipping.

In 2009 I realized I needed a tractor. I was warned about not getting a glorified lawnmower by both my neighbors and others. I knew very little about tractors. I ended up with the B2620. Unlike most people here I am not a fan of bigger is better. It can be, but it is also easy to get something that is too big. But, it really depends on your property. Mine is mostly wooded and I want it to stay that way. It also has narrow (4 to 8 feet wide) trails and I want to keep it that way. I have had the B2620 for over a decade now. There are times I wish it had position control. I didn't know what that was when I purchased. Had I known, I might have purchased the Deere that had it or the B2630. The '30 is bigger and was $1500 more and the dealer didn't explain the difference in a way that I remember understanding, or I didn't know I would be using the 3PH much. I also wanted QA for the bucket, which I finally fixed last year.

After I got the tractor, I opened up the possiblity of getting a bigger chipper. I got a Vermeer B625A, which is a small commercial chipper, typically available at rental places. I think it is great. It literally weighs a ton and my B2620 handles it well even up and down the 15-20 degree slopes on my trails. With the big chipper it takes about the same amount of time to cut as it does to chip and it is fun. It does, however, require maintenance and sometimes repairs.

As good as the B2620 is, I would never use it as an only mower. It is VERY scary on any kind of side slope (more than about 10 degrees). Much of my property has slopes in the 10-15 with occasional areas up to 20 degrees. Mowing requires traversing some of these cross slope. My X300 works well now that it has AG/bar tires. A couple of weeks ago I was in the less sloped part with my B2620. I was trying to get to an area and had to cross what looked like a gentle side slope. It did not go well. There was a soft spot and one of the wheel got stuck. There was a moment I thought it was going to flip. Luckily, it didn't and I was able to get it out of there safely. Had I not had a decade of experience on it, it likely would have gone differently.

So, no a B2620 is not a good choice for mowing my property. Last year I bought a Deere X534 for mowing. It has all wheel steer and difflock. It also weighs a lot more. It is a year older than my X300 and I paid more for it used than I did for the X300 new. I definitely think it is worth it.

I recently bought a used Deere X749 to use as a baby tractor. My B2620 is just too big for some areas (horse paddock, some trails) and I need to be able to do some tractor tasks there.

So, my advice is that you will probably find that there is no one machine that can do all the things that you will need/want done, let alone well. A SCUT is like a swiss army knife. It can do a lot of things, but none of them very well. If you have nothing else, it will do the job. If you have a choice of many tools, it probably wouldn't be the one you would choose.

While I have had no intention of cutting down trees, the wind and snow have there own ideas. I have had 30+ trees fall over the years. Some of them huge enough that I don't have a saw (or knowledge/skill) big enough to handle them. But, many of the others I have handled, and a grapple (and forks) makes it much easier. Some of them were beyond the capacity of my B. Most of them would be too much for a SCUT.

src000

Tractor
Kioti CK3510HST

I have a Kioti CK3510. I think the smaller tractors like the BX2680 or the Kioti CK2610 are too light weight to be of much use. I have put more than 600 hours on the tractor in the last 4 years. It has been a great little tractor for me. I don't like Kubotas because the the treadle throttle doesn't work for me. I have a friend with a JD2032 but it doesn't seem as beefy as my CK3510.

iptman

Silver Member
Tractor
Scag Tiger Cat, 61", Kioti CX2510
How does LS, Mahindra, Bobcat, New Holland etc all compare?

the LS MT225S seems like a well built tractor in the approximate size of the B2601.

The Bobcat tractors are white painted Kiotis. Check to see if you have either a Bobcat dealer or Kioti dealer around. Generally the Kioti/Bobcats have significantly higher weight compared to any other brand's tractor in a comparative size. My CX2510 weighs 2200 pounds and the Kubota B2601 weighs 1600 pounds. Bobcats are shipped from Kioti and are assembled fully in a Bobcat factory before being sent to dealers to sell. Kioti relies on dealers for final assembly. If there was a Bobcat equivalent of the Kioti CX2510 I would have bought that. I would feel way more comfortable with Bobcat's service techs than any Kioti dealer's. For what you have you should look in to the Bobcat CT2025. No DPF, good weight, 22hp PTO and you'll be surprised how cheap they're selling for right now (free FEL through the end of May). Skip the MMM and get yourself a used Scag with less than 500 hours on it. My mowing time on my ~2.5 acres of grass went from 4 hours with a tractor to 1 hour with the zero turn.

can do

Gold Member
Tractor
M-F1526,M-F50

There is one other manufacture You should not overlook & that's Massey-Ferguson ! I can still get parts for my 1959 M-F 50 from the nationwide dealer network of AGCO parts & that's a 62 year old tractor ! Hows That for for part availability & they aren't going anywhere :unsure: Think about it! & welcome to TBN& that's a M-F 1526 compact to the left with my M-F 50
IMG_20201003_134009.jpg

Last edited:

Hermio

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035 HST w/FEL and 4-way bucket; Ford 4110
Our goal is to leave most of the property wooded and only maintain the yard and driveway, maybe a small firing range where I could handle mowing that with either the belly or a 3 point. I am pretty familiar with the cut quality of the 1025R with the 7 iron deck as I've used our neighbors and it cuts far better than my older Husqvarna with a 48" fab deck.

Most of my mowing will be the yard. If I need to mow field/do tractor work I plan on taking the deck off which makes the drive over of the JD extremely enticing. I'm planning on using the mower on my current property now (~1.2 acres of lawn) until we finish construction which may be a few years.
I had a Kubota B7100 for about 30 years. I finally figured out that a tractor is not a very good mower. I now have a zero turn mower (BadBoy), which mows much better. I also got a much bigger tractor for heavy work in the woods: a Mahindra 50 Hp 4WD HST model. Having a ZTR and a tractor will make your life easier. Just costs more!

Tony H

Platinum Member
Tractor
JCB MIDI CX

You may want to explore Mahindra MAX series. I can't Dis the Orange or Green in the sub compacts but they think their machines are made of gold just because they carry their name. Massey ferg too. How much snow do you get at a time typical? If you 2-3 feet in a night, you can count on super slow going with the sub compact. Less then 2 feet typical, you will be very happy

Stowed4Sea

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS MT225S
@Bdsankey I'm also in the search, granted I'm looking for more HP and bigger size as that's what I need, but I also had the same questions and concerns about LS when I started.

I quickly found out they are have been around for a long while (originally part of LG when they started making tractors, LG like the TV's etc). They eventually split off in 2003 into their own company. They are one of the few companies that makes small tractors to have invested significant resources into making their own Tier 4 diesel engines. They are a leading brand in S. Korea, and their worldwide exports are growing rapidly each year. They have lofty goals and are investing a lot in way of making their own stuff, very similar to Kubota back when they were first developing as I see it. They aren't some brand like Bobcat that is paying someone else to develop and build their tractors or engines.

So, the only other concern I had is what if my nearby dealer shut down due to lack of sales, but after seeing how busy they are and discussing with him the various aspects of being a dealer, he said he never wants to sell any other tractor brand. He used to sell Yanmar at one point, but all the ways he explained that LS makes it easy to be a dealer vs the other companies really helped me understand why Dealers love LS and all the customers I've talked with love LS, I think it's a brand that will stick around for a long while. Granted there is no predicting the local dealer dying in a freak accident and having his dealership shut down or who knows what, but talking it over with him really helped give me confidence in that specific dealer, even when taking everything he said with a grain of salt because he is a dealer.

I haven't decided exactly what I'm getting or what brand even, but I'm fairly certain it will be LS. Kubota's are nice, but they don't really have much savings over Deere when compared to what features you get with LS. Granted, that's from my perspective looking at the 40-60 HP range of tractors, I see lots of value In LS there over Kubota/Deere. I would assume it's the same in their smaller stuff, but I haven't looked.

Hope that info helps!

nrosario

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL
I know there is a lot of info already posted, hope you can use this to your advantage.
I used to be inclined on owning a small and capable do-everything machine.
But now after a couple of years, I'm convinced that the best approach (in my particular case) is to use/have the right tool for the job.
Instead of getting a MMM or a 3pt finish mower, I got a medium-duty flail mower for the heavy brush and a ZTR for mowing around the house.
I'm very happy with my decision, but not everyone might agree.
In my case, I own a Mahindra Max 26xl, with BH(which I like a lot), Flail Mower, Grapple, Forks, and soon a Land Plane.

The JD 2025r, Kubota 2601, and the LS MT225s are all capable machines.
Whatever you end up buying make sure you have good dealer support (as others mentioned).

Don't discard the idea of going a little bigger for not much more $$$. (Kubot L2501, LS MT225E, Kioti CK2610, etc).

Take your time on this, don't rush it, the machine you want/need is out there, is just a matter of making the best decision for your particular situation.

And remember to have fun.

kenbgbill

Tractor
2016 Kubota BX25D
I have 5 acres of mostly wooded property. It was a coin toss between a JD and Kubota sub-compact from my research but both of those seemed to rise to the top from my perspective. I settled on a Kubota BX 25D since I needed a backhoe and they seemed superior for my needs. Kubota uses industry standard hydraulic components while JD seemed to have more proprietary parts. I also got a great deal on a 2-year old tractor with zero hours that just never sold 2016 model bought in 2018 so look around and have a bit of patience. Good luck

blueman2

Tractor
ls mt225s

I would definitely go with a compact over a subcompact. I have a LS MT225S with a loader and backhoe. A drive over center mower is available. A subcompact is basically a lawn mower. It won't give you much ground clearance or lifting power. I find the compact to be big enough to do the job; but small enough to get around in tight spaces.

TexasDigger

Tractor
Kioti RX7320
Kioti CK2610 all day long... I had the CK3510 HST myself & loved it but needed a HP upgrade to bail hay. The CK's are workhorses & really good bang for buck. Loader was very agile & powerful - could curl & lift/dump simultaneously (unlike several others I tested). I lifted an entire 12x12 porch on my pallet forks with my CK3510 (same frame, loader & hydros as the 2610). Would love to get another one if I could afford the pmts on both!!

HEC

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 @ B2650HSDC
If you want parts availability in distant future or even at this time it is hard to beat the Kubota or John Deere . Some of the other brands without mentioning names can be crap shoot . Have a friend who waited weeks for parts . You get what you pay for in most cases . I had a mishap with my 2650 and needed door assembly parts , glass , door latch , etc. , etc. for my cab . Called and all parts were in stock and shipped the next day .

ljjhouser

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
Besides the mowing requirement, you might want to think what implements you will want to operate. For example, box blade for road work, Grapple for brush work, plow or tiller for garden, or pallet forks etc. That may help you decide what size you want to use over the next 30 years. If you look at compacts, might look at Kubota L series. I have about 4 acres and do some clearing and road maintenance (gravel road) and have the L4701. Never regreted having the larger tractor - stronger hydraulics, higher FEL lift and better overall traction. Best Wishes, Larry

GTV6

Tractor
JD 2720
We’ve had a JD 2027 (26HP) for about 10 years now with @300 hours. Field mower 3 pt for about 3 acres, moving rocks/soil/manure, plowing snow for about 100ft drive. Replaced a smaller JD which cracked it’s transmission case. (Negotiated a subsidized trade in with JD). I do the ’formal lawn’ grass with an 80v walk behind which is great!. The field tires would be too much for the lawn anyway. This machine has been flawless and indispensable for even moving heavy items around the barn, you name it. As a layman, probably shouldn’t be lifting more than the limit of 600 pounds anyway. Just the right size for 5 acres, several horses, some alpacas and vegetable/flower beds. Would love a back hoe but too costly for occasional use. Hire someone for plowing the vegetable garden when needed. Can get away with using the front loader for snow plowing. I’m in rural MA, very uneven terrain, LOTS of rocks, fair bit of snow. We do manage to get stuck occassionally in our wetland, but we have friendly neighbors with more serious tractors To save us from ourselves. Just the right balance between capability and getting oneself into trouble on uneven ground.

johncstam

Tractor
Kubota L3700SU

I love my L series Kubota. the B series isn't bad, but its barely bigger than a large lawn tractor.

bartjoebob

Bronze Member
Tractor
TBD

Everything you describe can be done on a subcompact. But once you get on the 15 acres you'll start dreaming up things that a compact or even a utility tractor would be much better for. I'm partial to Massey Ferguson and the GC line is probably the toughest, best spec'd subcompact out there. If I were to purchase with the 15 acre end in mind I'd be looking at at 1800 Series Massey. They offer mid PTO for the mowing and front blower. Give Yanmar a look too. When I was shopping Deere and Kubota were most expensive of the brands. I found an excellent Massey dealer with great service dept that I was more comfortable marrying than Bota or Deere. Your mileage may vary

Rob REECE

Tractor
2009 john deere 4320

So a 1025r is a very small tractor for the acres you have. I have ten acres and I have a 2009 JD4320. I would look at a 3000 series or a 4000 series and nothing smaller.

Green edge Nursery

Tractor
Compact 2320

I love having my little tractor on 6 acres, but I would go bigger by 1-2 sizes for 15 acres.
How dense are your trees and how much slope if any?
My neighbor has the next size up Kubota and he really likes that, but uses a ZTR for mowing.

With 15 acres, you may need to do tree cleanup and you might want trails in the future.
I can do those with my tractor and I love the BH for trenching and stumps. Great for planting trees and bushes too.

Green edge Nursery

Tractor
Compact 2320
So a 1025r is a very small tractor for the acres you have. I have ten acres and I have a 2009 JD4320. I would look at a 3000 series or a 4000 series and nothing smaller.

I maintain about 3 acres. I've also got a 500 ft gravel driveway. Down the lane from me is a paved entrance to these properties that also has to be cleared of snow in winter.

I started looking at subcompact tractors but ultimately decided on a compact. There have been SOOO many times I've been glad that I did. A subcompact simply would not do the jobs I've gotten into. Size, weight, and power all would be sorely lacking for dragging a box blade full of crushed stone, scraping mud off the boat ramp, or moving fallen Ash trees to the pile.

Buy bigger now so you don't have to later!

BTW I LOVE my New Holland. I shopped all the brands. All of them. Could not find anything with the specs, features, and brand support of the New Holland for the same money.

Green edge Nursery

Tractor
Compact 2320
Stay away from JD if you anywhere around Clarksville, Tenn. I have a 2320 with bucket & backhoe, the equipment is good, even though the dlr won't honor the warranttee, pardon the spelling,. Talked to JD about it, they say it's a dealer problem???? It's fair to say JD does not care for the little guy. I chked out kabota b4 I purchased, wished I had purchased a kabota now. Strongly suggest you check out dealer reputation when you get ready to purchase

fishdrivel

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
Back to the OP's needs.
You want a tractor but don't have heavy work plans
You need to mow 1-2 acres.

My B2601 compact tractor is not a heavy tractor. It will do a lot of work however. You can use a belly motor but like many others on here, I don't like them. I don't recall you clarifying whether you'll be mowing around a lot of obstacles. If you are not, a 3 point finishing mower would work well. If you have a lot of obstacles or have to "side-hill" I would get a seperate machine for mowing.
The B2601 is smaller than an L2501. If you have a good dealer they can explain the differences.

I would not buy the BX series. You are looking at your 15 acres as if you are only going to need the tractor for 2 acres. I remain skeptical.
I am retired now but even now that I do not need a tractor every day, I still find plenty of uses for it. You will find that your first choice for the task will always be the tractor.

My previous Kubota was a B2910. They cost as much used now as I paid new in 2004. Your tractor will hold valu better than almost any other purchase.

Oh, and absolutely get the loader. Be cetain befor you buy a box scraper. I have not had any use for on in last 30 years. You were talking grapple but also said you were not going to work in the woods. If in fact you do work in your woods (you will) you will want the ground clearance the sub-compacts do not have.

Good luck on your purchase.

OP
B

Bdsankey

Tractor
Husqvarna YT48
Looks like I'll be going down the garden tractor route for now and buying a larger tractor once we have the home finished. At my current home I have a fair amount of mowing around obstacles as well as a hill that I have to mow, likely a Simplicity Prestige or JD 500 series that will handle all mowing requirements as well as hauling my small cart/spreader now.

I would go down the ZTR route but I don't think it'll handle the hill in my front yard that I don't really want to mow with a push mower. My current Husqvarna can mow it if I take the hill straight on and take only mower width passes.

fishdrivel

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
Looks like I'll be going down the garden tractor route for now and buying a larger tractor once we have the home finished. At my current home I have a fair amount of mowing around obstacles as well as a hill that I have to mow, likely a Simplicity Prestige or JD 500 series that will handle all mowing requirements as well as hauling my small cart/spreader now.

I would go down the ZTR route but I don't think it'll handle the hill in my front yard that I don't really want to mow with a push mower. My current Husqvarna can mow it if I take the hill straight on and take only mower width passes.
Why not landscape the hill so you do not have to mow it?

OP
B

Bdsankey

Tractor
Husqvarna YT48
Why not landscape the hill so you do not have to mow it?
Because that is a large chunk of change that spans half of my property against the road (300ft). With us selling this home in a year or two I don't think I'll see my investment back out of it.

RidgeHiker

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010 with KL5510 Loader & 72" Bucket.
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, have not read all the threads, but Kioti has various spring promotions that can save a lot of money and end May 31. Cash back, free loader, etc. Look under the Financing tab at Kioti.com if interested. Bought a new one in 2017 and had a used one before that. Very happy with them.

prestond

Tractor
Ventrac 4500Z, Scag Tigercat

I take care of 10 acres with a Ventrac. It is an amazing machine. It is built like a tank does amazing on slopes, wet ground, and does everything I need. I was skeptical until I demoed it. It will do what all the videos say it will.

Some say that it is too expensive, but I find it comparable to the JD and Kubotas, and it does a much better job.

As an added bonus, it's built in the US.

Tony H

Platinum Member
Tractor
JCB MIDI CX
One thing I forgot to mention. Not sure if JD finally got on board but they used to have proprietary mountings. They did NOT have Universal Quick Attach on their front end loaders. They had their own setup so you were stuck buying their attachments. Not sure if you were looking to put a FEL on you final pick but just be aware.

Williy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT 235C Yannar YRC 60 rotary cutter, Yanmar RT72 rotary tiller B75 Backhoe & bucket & thumb, LS land grader
SHOOT the koiti and buy an LS 225 s or above

willy

Metalman5767

Tractor
Kubota BX-23 & Kanga G-520
I love my BX23 with the 60" belly mower. I've been cutting with it for 12 years and think it does a great job. The FEL has enough capacity to move whatever I need.
Went tubing down your Apple River years ago and had a great time!

VoyagernOK

Tractor
Mahindra MPower 75P; JD 4210
I have a John Deere 4210 Compact tractor and love it. Have used for years and have all kinds of different mowers and now would opt for only 1, a 60" flail mower. It does excellent work on finishes yet can also tackle heavy stuff even clearing small trees and brush. You have to get the one set up for the belly mower to have a front pto for the front mounted snow blower. (one thing we don't need here)

Unbelievable how many hundred tons of dirt and rock we've moved, acres we've cleared and mowed, and roads we've graded with this little beauty. I also have a tractor three times this size and 75hp, but all my workers will jump on the 4210 if given a choice.

FarmCountry

Tractor
Kubota L2501

I recommend going to the dealership and driving a few. Completely changed my mind on what I needed. I ended up going with a Kubota L2501. I got a package deal with zero percent financing.

DieselBound

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800; Kioti NX5510HC
Now that I have a flail (on my Kioti) I can state that they're a great option to have for mowing. I have hundreds of hours running rotary cutters (likely closer to 1,000 hrs) and am finding that a flail can do a great job on grass. My flail has hammers and it still does well.

My B7800 rang up a ton of hours doing what most people here seem to state that such a machine could not do. [I've put on about 1,100 hours on it] Never been to the dealer: the dealer I got it [used] from isn't in business any more- though another Kubota dealership bought them out. Although my Kioti is now my primary workhorse I have zero intention of getting rid of the B7800: for small jobs it is just so much easier to operate (and do so very quickly- all mechanical, no electronics); and, it's indestructible.

sunbeam67

Tractor
Ferguson 35, Ford 7710
Our goal is to leave most of the property wooded and only maintain the yard and driveway, maybe a small firing range where I could handle mowing that with either the belly or a 3 point. I am pretty familiar with the cut quality of the 1025R with the 7 iron deck as I've used our neighbors and it cuts far better than my older Husqvarna with a 48" fab deck.

Most of my mowing will be the yard. If I need to mow field/do tractor work I plan on taking the deck off which makes the drive over of the JD extremely enticing. I'm planning on using the mower on my current property now (~1.2 acres of lawn) until we finish construction which may be a few years.
What is the cut quality of a B2601's belly mower or is this a case of "let the dedicated mower be a mower", IE buy a dedicated mower for mowing and a tractor for tractor work?

On another note, it does appear that LS is currently running a promotion for a free loader...............
zero turn and a skid steer

LS Tractor Owner

Tractor
LS XG3025 TLB, Previously MT125 TLB, Craftsman GTS6500
Kioti CK3510 Dimensions

Length w/ 3-point hitch - 120.9 in. (3,070 mm)
Width - 54.5 in. (1,385 mm)
Height from Top of ROPS - 99.2 in. (2,520 mm)
Wheelbase - 65.7 in. (1,670 mm)
Ground Clearance - 13.4 in. (340 mm)
Min. Turning Radius w/ Brake - 8.0 ft. (2.4 m)
Weight w/ Ag Tires w/ ROPS - 2,679 lbs. (1,215 kg)

Kioti CK2610 Dimensions

Weight w/ Ag Tires w/ ROPS - 2,646 lbs. (1,200 kg)
I have a Kioti CK3510. I think the smaller tractors like the BX2680 or the Kioti CK2610 are too light weight to be of much use. I have put more than 600 hours on the tractor in the last 4 years. It has been a great little tractor for me. I don't like Kubotas because the the treadle throttle doesn't work for me. I have a friend with a JD2032 but it doesn't seem as beefy as my CK3510.
Why do you say the CK2610 is a smaller tractor than the CK3510? They are the same size frame.... just different HP.....

PJC3006

Tractor
GC1725MB
Massey Ferguson GC1725MB is my choice. I have 1.5 acres with half in a ravine and use the heck out of it. Runs a PTO chipper and got a Braber grapple for storm clean-up.

John Atkisson

Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I have a bx25d on 8.5 acres - belly mount 54inch mower handles the 3.5 acres of grass well, but it is a long process- about 4hrs. It has a loader and backhoe which are easy on-off using bxexpanded dollies- I make extensive use of the loader- produce and move about 3-4cords of wood, snow removal, etc. I sometimes wish for a bigger tractor, but my grass is broken up by lots of smaller orchard trees, and maneuvering around them would be difficult.

Midniteoyl

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, Ford 3400, Gizmow ZTR, Simplicity 7016H
Kioti CK3510 Dimensions

Weight w/ Ag Tires w/ ROPS - 2,679 lbs. (1,215 kg)

Kioti CK2610 Dimensions

Weight w/ Ag Tires w/ ROPS - 2,646 lbs. (1,200 kg)

Why do you say the CK2610 is a smaller tractor than the CK3510? They are the same size frame.... just different HP.....
All the CK10's are the same size and have the same loader now, yes. Not sure if he meant vs the CX2510 which is lighter and has a lower lift capacity..?

BBHomestead

Silver Member
Tractor
LS XU6168CPS, Mitsubishi D2050, International B275, link Belt LS 98 PL and Woodmizer Lt 40 Super Hydro

Well im of a totally different nature! If I was you I would not buy a tractor for its belly mower to me thats all a gimmick! A zero turn will cut it in half the time if its finish mowing quality land! If its not finish quality land and grass then a brush hog is better! But if i was to have land/grass finish quality i would probably go find a classic diesel tractor in the 35hp to 45hp range you know a 40+ year old John deere or if like color red a international! Then I would dedicate it for the brush work! Place a 7' to 8' finish mower on the back and not mess with it! Then get another used tractor with front end loader a few years old can be found 1/3 less than new and still in most cases have warranty still! If you want a tractor that has 20 to 30 years parts availability then it needs to be a 20 to 30 year old tractor that you can find parts! All the new stuff has problems and is not made by the company with the name badges on them they all get parts from other companies and they all have known issues that they let go till your warranty is gone and you are stuck with paying out of pocket! I have a 1960s 35hp diesel tractor that I use with a 6ft brush hog and its been more reliable than my newer tractor and super easy to diagnose if something is not right! It will brush hog just as good as any newer tractor it cost me $2k and mower cost $500! All the 70s to 80s tractors that still have parts availability usually all have most modern convenience! But like I said I'm of a different nature I get pleasure out of using a old classic tractor looking like my grandad did 40 years ago! But whatever you buy remember location of your dealer will be more important than its company name! You will.need parts just a matter of time! If buying a classic then buy brand that is/was most popular around your area like some areas New Holland is every where and in others its John Deere so finding not only parts but mechanics or advice is easier! Good luck and buy biggest you can justify because I have never needed a weaker smaller tractor!

kpsp50

Bronze Member
Tractor
Lenar tractor, nortrak dozer
Kubota is not what it used to be I've had tractors for over 50 years check out the new Branson's look up Keno tractors online

thecatsandi

Tractor
JD 4720

Are you planning on using the tractor to help you build you house. Go bigger with forks.

hlulks

Tractor
John Deere 2038R & John Deere X485

You have the right idea, about a reputable Co., that will have parts for you down the road. I would recommend going a little larger, w/ a heavier tractor & loader. I traded up to a JD 2038R a couple yr. ago, w/ loader & deck. I am very happy w/ it, & the auto-connect mower deck, really does work.