Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands?

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #1  

rcio7684

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1723E
When I was researching purchasing a subcompact tractor I investigated LS, Mahindra, John Deere, Yanmar , Kioti, Kubota and Massey. I had my list narrowed to these brands in order:
1) Kioti
2) Kubota
3) Massey-Furguson

All of them had the reliability and offered the attachments I was looking for (not necessarily in stock), which was a mid mount mower and a front snow blower. Dealer support was also important, as was the price. I chose Massey in part because the dealership is fairly close to me and has a good reputation. Availability of the tractor was the deciding factor as subcompacts were in short supply in my area and my dealership had one GC1723 in stock with both attachments. According to the salesman, there were/are no GC1723's scheduled for delivery until March of 2021.

I was wondering why other Massey subcompact owners chose the GC series over other brands?

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #2  
For me is was price.... When looking at all tractors in the 25 HP (or less range) MF seemed the best deal....

Dale

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #3  
I originally wanted a CASE subcompact but they only made one model for a brief time. I was looking for one that had good reputation, had been around for a while and I test frove them all-Mahindra, John Deer, Tymn, New Holland, Cub Cadet, Kubota and a couple others. The GC series felt more like a big tractor and felt beefy compared to John Deer and Kubota. I also loved the feel, and the fact that the hydraulics worked well even when engine was idling. The BH just felt more like a tool rather than a toy.

0% Financing for 72 months also helped :)

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #4  
I looked at Massey, Kubota, Deere, and Bobcat. Deere lost to price, 25% higher. Loved the basic Bobcat, priced a bit high, but hated the way the hoe mounted. Picked the Massey over the Kubota for price and mostly for the loader capacity.

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #5  
I looked at New Holland, Kioti, MF, Kubota, JD, Mahindra and Yanmar.

I have a good Kubota dealer nearby who offered a decent price on a new BX25D. Their stance was there it is, that's the price, take it or leave it, if you don't buy someone else will. That rubbed me the wrong way a bit and the price and tractor specs weren't unbeatable so I looked around.

A few doors down was the Mahindra dealership. Nice family business that started selling Mahindra because Cub Cadet/Yanmar ended their time in the Sub Compact/compact market. The Mahindra was a bit more crude but very heavily built (overbuilt to compensate?). Their reputation scared me off and the dealer has since closed/retired with no support within an hour of me.

New Holland and Kioti were both available at the same dealer and they were atrocious to deal with. They wanted to sell big Ag and really didn't support small machines well. A second NH dealer didn't even come out to talk to me about the 1 tractor they had on the lot. So those were easy to walk away from.

I went to 3 John Deere dealers and tried out a 1 series and it just sorta felt...cheesey? Lots of plastics on a tractor didn't inspire me and the ergonomics/visuals from the seat looking over the front for the loader weren't inspiring either. The quick connect deck on the model I was demoing must not have been properly dialed in so the deck on/off demo was less than stellar. The sticker shock ended that as a choice despite reputation, # of dealerships and aftermarket.

Yanmar was at a different old cub cadet dealer who opted to stay with Yanmar and not Mahindra. This was a tie for favorite tractor next to the MF. The problem was(is?) aftermarket was non existent and I didn't like the 1 speed fits all hydrostatic tranny. That being said I got down to talking price and was blown away. They wanted $24k for a machine...$2k more than JD and $4k more than Kubota.

MF was the sweet spot all the way around for me. There was enough aftermarket that any real need could likely be met and I was familiar with Iseki and AGCO as long standing brands for support. The ergonomics/sight lines for me (5'11"/285lbs) felt the best and the measurables were among best in class (fel lift capacity, hydraulic flow, fuel capacity, 3pt lift, pto HP). The build quality was on par with other japanese machines and when the price came in at $18200 with FEL, BH and MMM it was a no brainier.

Since then the aftermarket has greatly improved and they've made nice progressive changes to the ergo's. I'd get another one but I love mine too much to say goodbye. With the aftermarket being what it is I have been able to add whatever features they've since added to a newer model and have no need to update 'just cause'

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #6  
For me in was mostly the dealer. I have dealt with them in the past for small things and they have a good rep around me. I know that if I have a problem that they will send someone to me to work on it if that is necessary or pick it up if they need to. They are also close to me, less than 10 miles. They had 2 choices, Massey and New Holland. I did some research on these and liked the Massey better. I also did some comparisons on other brands. There are dealers in the other directions from me with other brands, but have never dealt with them and most of the farmers around here agree that the dealer I went to has superior service if I ever had a problem. A neighbor and my brother in law told me some issues they'd had with their dealers as well and while the dealer I went to does not sell their tractors that is where they now get their tractors serviced. I plan to do most of my own maintenance, but having a dealer that I can count on if I need them for the big stuff is important.

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #7  
Back in 2004 there were still outdoor/farm shows that had a lot of corporate sponsors. I was able to test drive several brands the same day ( MF, Kubota, Kioti and Yanmar). The GC felt the most comfortable to operate, and then when it came to pricing, they offered the best deal for me.

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands?
Great information everyone. I excluded John Deere because one dealership bought all the remaining ones in our area and they were nonchalant about getting back to me on price and their prices were high, plus I also didn't like the plastic hood, or the color. I had one local Kubota dealer give me a really good price on a BX, but their foot pedal was a factor as I have a bad knee & didn't want to constantly be bending it.

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #9  
I liked the size and capabilities in the GC compared to others in the same class. It was also a lot cheaper for me and I liked the dealer.
Getting the Back Hoe was important and the GC had what seemed like the best overall reach for the size.
I like the 2 pedals vs. the rocker too.

/ Subcompact Choice - Why Did You Choose Massey Over Other Brands? #10  
At the time I made a purchase, there were only two options, MF and Kubota.

Side by side the Kubota had more plastic, and then there was the obvious fact that it was that ugly orange color. :yuck::vomit:

Easy choice.

Today, with all the options out there I'm sure it will be more difficult to choose.