Dirt Moving Subsoiler Flips Sod - Looks Rough

/ Subsoiler Flips Sod - Looks Rough #1  

FreedomFamilyFarms

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710, Toro Z Master Commercial
Hello TBN! I ran a subsoiler on my place creating parallel lines on contour to catch more rain as it leaves the property. Its an ETA subsoiler on the back of a 27 HP Kubota B2710. The Kubota pulled the subsoiler just fine about 12 inches deep. What I didn't expect was the mess it left behind. Most of the sod that was cut flipped over creating a very lumpy texture. Is this expected or is there something I can do to keep this from happening again. I'll probably continue to subsoil periodically for the next few years.

Seedling Tree Planting - YouTube

/ Subsoiler Flips Sod - Looks Rough #2  
Subsoil in the fall and then rototill just before planting. The planting goes way better and faster and the softer soil packs the roots better.

Your subsoiling issue is because the grass roots are ripping out and the ripper point is a little too wide. Rip in the fall and try to get a 1 1/2" tip that will disturb the surface less or just kill grass with roundup a month before ripping and that will disturb it less too., even with a 2" point. The best thing for us is the rototiller. The seedbed is perfect and we can really fly when putting in trees.

/ Subsoiler Flips Sod - Looks Rough #3  
Sounds to me like you also may have your top link adjusted wrong. You want the top link adjusted so the ripper point is aimed slightly down when raised, but as it gets to digging depth it levels out. If you have the top link too short, the ripper point stays aimed down while at digging depth, which is what is raising the sod so much as it passes through. If you make the top link longer so the ripper is running parallel to the surface while at digging depth, you will find the tractor can pull it much easier and you can likely even go deeper. If that ripper point is pointing down as it digs, it will try to dig deeper; or if the tractor won't let it go deeper, it will push the soil up. If there is a lot of angle, it will turn the soil like a moldboard.

/ Subsoiler Flips Sod - Looks Rough #4  
I have an issue with mine, but it's more related to pulling roots, so I have a blade to weld on the front of it. The blade will be angled to push roots downward as it cuts. If the ripper is a foot down, you shouldn't notice it on the surface other than a minor bulge. It may behoove you to sharpen the edge at ground level so that it cuts instead of tears.

/ Subsoiler Flips Sod - Looks Rough #5  
Looks normal to me based on my subsoiling.

I'm using a Tufline 1S-24 at about 18 inches deep.

Subsoilers | Tufline

Here's a photo of my results:

IMG_0010.jpg

/ Subsoiler Flips Sod - Looks Rough #6  
I have seen many subsoilers that have been ground down to a knife edge on the front of the vertical arm to better slice through the wire grass and roots.

/ Subsoiler Flips Sod - Looks Rough
   / Subsoiler Flips Sod - Looks Rough #8  
Opico Sward Lifter - Grassland Subsoiler - YouTube
Having a rolling coulter disc in front of the shank would reduce the amount of topsoil disturbance. I'm not suggesting you invest in something this elaborate but just wanted to show the concept.

/ Subsoiler Flips Sod - Looks Rough
That’s a great idea. I can imagine cobbling up some type of roller to follow the shank of the subsoiler...

/ Subsoiler Flips Sod - Looks Rough #10  
That is a great idea. I can imagine cobbling up some type of roller to follow the shank of the subsoiler...

Unlikely. You would need around 400 pounds pressure bearing on a 9" roller to do any good.

A coulter in front of the subsoiler is a better idea. ETA sells plow coulters separate from the plows. Perhaps you can fab a coulter mount or modify a mail order Disc hanger from Agri Supply.

It is Spring. Rain will reduce the unevenness with time.

I concur with SYSOP in Post #3 and NPALEN in Post #8.

Last edited: