Suggestions for adding a hydraulic thumb backhoe?

/ Suggestions for adding a hydraulic thumb backhoe? #1  

future_vision

Gold Member
Tractor
DK6010SE HSA
I have a backhoe for my Kioti DK6010. It currently has a mechanical thumb which I find pretty limiting. I am exploring adding a hydraulic thumb so I can do things like build rock walls with it. Any suggestions?

/ Suggestions for adding a hydraulic thumb backhoe? #2  
While a hydraulic thumb can be handy for many tasks, building a rock wall with a compact tractor isn't one of them. Unless you can operate the hoe from the tractor seat, you're going to spend a lot of time climbing on and off changing seats.

For a single wall project, renting a mini ex is the best approach. If you plan on doing it for a living, buy one.

A mini ex has better reach, can lift more weight, has no outriggers to deal with and easily carries rock from the pile to the wall, all from the same seat.

/ Suggestions for adding a hydraulic thumb backhoe? #3  
Do you have a rear remote on your tractor? Do you have front end loader on your tractor? If you have front end loader, do you have a "third" function on your tractor?
If you have any of these, you should be able to run hosing off of them. BUT, how convenient would that be? Talk with your dealer or a shop who does install third function as to having one added. Been while since had one installed and think it was about $600. It uses electrical to operate the valve.
I have a small excavator with a fixed thumb on it. Would I rather had a hyd one, YES. But I can pick up a brick with it or a two-foot diameter log. Practice makes a lot of difference. If your thumb cannot be pinned in more than one angle would suggest looking at that also.

We don't have rock walls in my area. So never seen one built or repaired. I agree with an excavator will outmaneuver the tractor backhoe by far. Then you may have the rocks dumped along the line the wall is being built. Of course, money and ease of doing a job often conflict!

/ Suggestions for adding a hydraulic thumb backhoe?
While a hydraulic thumb can be handy for many tasks, building a rock wall with a compact tractor isn't one of them. Unless you can operate the hoe from the tractor seat, you're going to spend a lot of time climbing on and off changing seats.

For a single wall project, renting a mini ex is the best approach. If you plan on doing it for a living, buy one.

A mini ex has better reach, can lift more weight, has no outriggers to deal with and easily carries rock from the pile to the wall, all from the same seat.
That was a thought. A more expensive option but an option nonetheless.

/ Suggestions for adding a hydraulic thumb backhoe? #5  
If you search on this site there's a number of people who have done it.
I think the best solution is to add a valve in the middle of the stack on the backhoe. The valves are usually sectional, you can disassemble them and add one. You'll need to modify the operator station where the valve stack mounts but that can just be drilling new mounting holes and cutting some on the sheet metal cover over the valves.

Others have added an additional electric valve out on the boom that switches flow from the curl cylinder to the thumb cylinder. That is easier but has limitations.