Surging Husqvarna garden tractor

/ Surging Husqvarna garden tractor #1  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
My Husky GTH2248 with the two cylinder Kawasaki engine just started surging at mid to full throttle…but only when the mower is not engaged. The moment I engage the mower deck the RPMs increase and it runs perfectly. Disengage the mower and the surging returns

Any ideas?

Pete

/ Surging Husqvarna garden tractor #2  
carb is dirty. guessing you dont use ethanol free gas.

put some seafoam mix in your gas and power foam your intake while its running. usually works.

/ Surging Husqvarna garden tractor
carb is dirty. guessing you dont use ethanol free gas.

Thanks. Actually ethanol-free is all I use in my bikes and small engines. Will try the Seafoam. Any idea why it runs fine while the mower s running..?

/ Surging Husqvarna garden tractor #4  
Yeah, surging is typically fuel related. It's basically running out of gas. It can be a dirty carb or filter. Check to see if there's a fuel filter. Change that too.

/ Surging Husqvarna garden tractor #5  
Start with the easy stuff first. Take out and blow out the air filter with compressed air. Blow from the inside to the outside of the filter. If that doesn't fix it, then try a new fuel filter. I would do both of those things before I started taking the carb apart (or off the engine). Also wouldn't hurt to check the spark plugs and oil level.

/ Surging Husqvarna garden tractor #6  
I'd try some Seafoam. Haven't had to take a carb apart since using it.

/ Surging Husqvarna garden tractor #7  
Purchase carb cleaner add to gas may take couple refills but it does work. (y)

/ Surging Husqvarna garden tractor
Thanks guys. Replaced the fuel filter. Air filter and foam wrap were previously checked and very clean. Added Seafoam to the ethanol-free premium gas. Shot half a can of carb cleaner into the intake with filter removed. Seems to run marginally better so will run it some more to run some more Seafoam through the system. Hopefully that will do the trick as reaching the carb on this baby is a pain!

/ Surging Husqvarna garden tractor #9  
Seafoam did fix my clogged idle jet in my mower for about 1/2 tank of fuel..then the issue came right back. I have yet to really fix any issues with seafoam. This is my full 2nd can with at best marginal results. It's far more expensive than 1/2 a can of carb cleaner and 20min of my time.

/ Surging Husqvarna garden tractor #10  
Seafoam did fix my clogged idle jet in my mower for about 1/2 tank of fuel..then the issue came right back. I have yet to really fix any issues with seafoam. This is my full 2nd can with at best marginal results. It's far more expensive than 1/2 a can of carb cleaner and 20min of my time.
Well now you will have to actually do some work. Take the carb off, completely disassemble it, clean each part with carb cleaner and then reassemble. Then bolt it back on.

If you have limited experience with carbs, take photos as you are disassembling it so you know how it goes back together.

Richard