Surplus Steel around Houston

/ Surplus Steel around Houston #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
I usually use SSS Steel. Happy, yes, surplus yard ok, inventory changes all the time.

Today I'm off so I went by Rose steel. HAven't been there since they moved from the I-10 location. I bought some 16ga 1" and 3/4" tubing(swear it could be 14 or 12 gauge :D). But Rose steel, parking(very little) a nightmare, mass confusion(a Monday around lunch), but prices pretty close to SSS on small square tubing. The price was more but I bought 24' instead of 20'. Looked close enough. I picked up some biq square tubing, $.50 a pound. They load on a little electric cart and take to your truck. Rose is MUCH better in looking for that little piece of steel, or whatever. Mill around, find what you need, buy a 2' piece of whatever. I think I'll be going there a little more often in the future. Massive selection of those little pieces, that's worth the extra 5 minutes to get to the place.

Rob

/ Surplus Steel around Houston #2  
Rob,

Where are they located?

/ Surplus Steel around Houston #5  
Hey Jester: Have you bought anything from Texas iron and metal?

I have and I will try very hard not to ever buy anything from them again!!

They tried to charge me more than new prime prices for outside surplus yard steel. I got into it with the sales guy and then the manager came out and dropped it some but it was still overpriced. Only reason I didnt just leave was one piece I wanted was 5 inch square solid by 30 inch long that I wanted for some machining projects and triple S doesnt keep solid bar around.

EDIT: Jester, You have one post, and posted the link for Tx iron . Interesting. Anyway if somebody has contact with them they could suggest that they adopt a standard per pound charge for surplus steel like 50 cents a lb that the other places charge instead of a runaround BS of " The price depends on what type of steel it is- flat, tube, beam, bar, everything is priced different and then we have our markup blah blah blah. Net result they want to charge $1.20 or 1.50 lb for rusty outside surplus when new grade A at triple S is about 80 or 90 cents a pound.

Last edited:
   / Surplus Steel around Houston #6  
Tx iron does have a nice surplus yard with a lot of steel avail. If they get the pricing figured out I would buy from them as they are fairly convenient for me as far as location , I could go there before work.

You guys would sell a crapload of that surplus square and rectangular tubing and beam stock if it were priced right , otherwise its just gonna sit there forever and rust and then finally get sent to the smelter at 15 cents a pound.

/ Surplus Steel around Houston
It's a little far out for me. Might get by there one day but I'll not pay $1.20-$1.50 pound for outside stuff. Actually on the 16ga tubing and such, while the price has doubled in the past 3 years or so, it's still "reasonable" IMO for some projects. But the heavier stuff, which might be priced at the same weight..dunno for sure...gets crazy.