Suspension Seat for Lawn Tractor

/ Suspension Seat for Lawn Tractor #1  

Caleb

My parents are getting older. They want to continue cutting their grass (2 acres), but are finding it very uncomfortable. There seems to be two issues. The low backed seat doesn't give them upper back support, and the jarring ride (it's a relatively rough rural property) is also very hard on their backs.

Look around at options, there seems to be two styles.

For around $120 you can get something this style:

https://www.peaveymart.com/farming/t...or-seat/281700

Or for $350ish you can get something like this:
https://www.amazon.in/Milsco-Highbac.../dp/B0006PJJDI

Which use a suspension similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/MAXPOWER-1253.../dp/B0081H3JH0

Does anyone have any experience to point me in one direction or the other?

I can't find any locally to try. I'm concerned the first style may raise the seat too high, but they are closer to what they want to spend. Either way, I'll probably have to do some fabrication, but one way or the other I'm sure I can make them fit.

Experience or review appreciated.

/ Suspension Seat for Lawn Tractor #2  
I have the first design on my JD F725. Makes getting on and off a little more difficult. Springs could be a little softer for lightweight people. I have it set all the way soft. I weigh in at 165. Once on the seat is fairly comfortable.

/ Suspension Seat for Lawn Tractor #3  
Ah yes....the jarring ride on a rough yard. The one type of jar that a seat won't help with is when only one rear tire falls into a hole and you get jarred sideways. It is very common and is what seems to hurt the worst. A quality elastic waist wrap really helps as it firms up your torso and takes pressure off of your spine.

/ Suspension Seat for Lawn Tractor #4  
You can also fill in the holes in the lawn they're mowing. And you can run the rear tire pressure a little lower. My mower calls for 10 psi but it rides a lot better at 8 psi. The drawback is slightly uneven cut when mowing across a side slope.

/ Suspension Seat for Lawn Tractor
I have the first design on my JD F725. Makes getting on and off a little more difficult. Springs could be a little softer for lightweight people. I have it set all the way soft. I weigh in at 165. Once on the seat is fairly comfortable.

Thanks. Any idea of how high the top of the seat cushion is from off the bottom frame (where it attaches to the tractor) when you are sitting on it?

/ Suspension Seat for Lawn Tractor #6  
I cannot comment on which seat is the best for you. However Milsco, Sears, and Grammer, make very nice seats. They are OEM on most first tear equipment (NH, JD, MF, Kubota, etc.) I have a sears seat on my mower and it makes a world of difference.

The peavymart seat is a standard ag seat made in Turkey or China, the Turkish ones are nicer. They are geared towards utility tractors. I would think they would be too tall for a ZTR or normal riding mower.

/ Suspension Seat for Lawn Tractor #7  
What Ruffdog says is very true. Last year I purchased a new lawn mower. Tried a top-O-the-line JD with a suspension seat. It was quite nice - except in the rougher areas of my lawn. The suspension seat did not help that much because the mower jarred - side to side.

So I ended up buying a JD570 and just slow down in the rougher areas. This works just as well.