sweeper magnets

/ sweeper magnets #1  

hudr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5005DI
Anyone use one of these? I am not talking about the little "brooms" w/ a magnet in them. I am looking into a 48" wide suspended magnet I can hang from my forks or possibly from my landscape rake. I would be interested in knowing what I can expect as far as performance using it to pull debris out of loose dirt and grass. I don't expect to pull up buried plumbing or anything like that, just pick up nails, tacks, etc. that may have found their way into the yard or pasture.

/ sweeper magnets #2  
I had one that was supposed to attach to the 3-point hitch. Couldn't ever use it cause when I would go to hook it up it always stuck to my belt buckle and I wasn't strong enough to get it free. :)

Animal magnetism?

/ sweeper magnets #3  
That's a big problem with my diet.
With all the metal fillings in my teeth, everytime I go near
the refridgerator, the fridge magnets suck me to it.

Pooh Bear

/ sweeper magnets #4  
Hud, I only have experience with 1 magnet on 1 sweeper truck, so my experience is limited.

A company I used to work for had a sweeper to take care of its properties. We would hang that magenet as close to the ground as possible. It did pick up stuff, but we constantly had to repair tires because of nails. It was not nearly as effective as I thought it should be, and we were using it on concrete parking lots. I would think in grass it would pick less up and what it did pick up may get knocked back off, and it would be useless. Just my .02.

/ sweeper magnets #5  
Rule of magnets is that "Cheap ones aren't good and good ones aren't cheap!"

I made one from "super magnets". They are so strong you can't pull two of them apart. To buy enough for a 6' sweeper, you would need about 30 of them and that is about $150.

osCommerce

The rest is just two pieces of steel to make a magnet sandwich. 5/16x3x72 will do. Then orient the magnets so North is going the same way for each and put them about 2" apart on one piece of steel then carefully put the other piece of steel on. It will want to snap down hard enough to cut off fingers, so take care and remember that you aren't strong enough to pull them apart. Hang it from string and it will pull up more iron than you thought possible. Hot tip is to epoxy the spaces full. It's hard to get the nails and carp out otherwise.

I have never seen a commercial unit that had anywhere near the pull of one of these home mades.

jb

/ sweeper magnets #6  
The magnets you want are NdFeB (Neodymium/iron/born). They are used in many things including the new brushless DC motor technology.

And yes they do cost!

/ sweeper magnets #7  
hello all,

If you look on e-bay you can find deals on neo magnets that isn't to much in cost.
My son has 2 pencil eraser size neo magnets and we can't pull them apart.

I bought neo magnets for my wind turbines I built and I think I payed like 60 bucks for 20 2"x1/2 dia. and you do not want to get your fingers between them.

BE SAFE Carl

/ sweeper magnets #8  
Very interesting thread.

For those who have done it, what spacing of neo magnets and what shape would be best and most cost efficient.

For example - Amazing Magnets has:
1/2'' Wide x 4'' Long x 1/8'' Thick Plate, for $8.95@
1/2'' Wide x 6'' Long x 1/8'' Thick Plate, for $15@

So to cover 4 feet continuous I'd need 12 each 4 inchers (or $107.40) or 8 each 6 inchers (or $120). Or would just a bunch of button magnets lined up be best?

/ sweeper magnets #9  
Ask you friendly roofer to see what they suggest.