sweet potatoe harvest time

/ sweet potatoe harvest time #1  

Sonny580

Platinum Member
Tractor
several kinds and sizes
This years king tato came in at 10.5 pounds. had a lot in the 4 to 9 pound range, plus the usual smaller ones. Had to dig them with the skidloader due to the hard ground.

Attachments

• copy 1.jpg
    copy 1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 278
   / sweet potatoe harvest time #2  
This years king tato came in at 10.5 pounds. had a lot in the 4 to 9 pound range, plus the usual smaller ones. Had to dig them with the skidloader due to the hard ground.

That's a keeper! I haven't dug mine yet.

/ sweet potatoe harvest time #3  
:shocked: Dang that's lot sweet potato fries. :licking:

/ sweet potatoe harvest time #4  
Never bothered to weigh ours, but we typically have some big ones. Cure them for couple weeks in the greenhouse on wire racks under a tarp at 85-95 degrees, then store on wire racks in the basement for the winter. We grow Covington variety after having tried several others in the past, find this one is the one we like best.

enhance

enhance

Wire racks (potatoes are white, in root cellar)

enhance
enhance
enhance

/ sweet potatoe harvest time #5  
Potatoe*

Glad to know Dan Quayle is a member of Tractorbynet....:laughing:

/ sweet potatoe harvest time
We don't wait for any certain time to have sweet potatoes or anything we grow,--When the urge comes up, just do it! lol!! I like Andy's racks!-- That is the only good way to store veggies! Keeps them from mashing the ones under them, PLUS you can spot bad ones before they damage others!
We needed to dig before voles/mice got real bad in them.--they did damage a few, but no great amount this year. ---Also wanted to get them before frost hit and ground temps dropped. If they been planted for 90-100 days, it's time to dig as they are done growing anyway.

/ sweet potatoe harvest time #8  
Here is our harvest

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 236
   / sweet potatoe harvest time #9  
Those all sure look good!

/ sweet potatoe harvest time #10  
Is another name for these "kumara" (polynesisan sweet potatoe) ?