T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #11  
I am here at this same point: either the T494 (NA) or T574 (Turbo) with CAB and hydrostatic.

The optional cab will add around 750 pounds. Probably 625 pounds of that weight will be distributed on the rear tires. Consider carefully if 'loaded' rear tires will be necessary for your tractor applications, or be needless weight.

Most of Florida, less the Panhandle, is flat. Unless you are in the Panhandle you probably will not need the extra power for hills.

What PTO powered implements are you considering for your tractor?
Certainly engine horsepower is important for powering wider and heavier PTO implements.

For most non-PTO applications, bare tractor weight is more important in defining tractor capability than tractor horsepower.

Usually shuttle shift/gear transmissions transfer engine power to the tractor tires around 10% more efficiently than HST. Research this specifically for the two models you are considering as efficiency varies by tractor brand and tractor model. (10% of 49-horsepower = 4.9 horsepower; 10% of 57-horsepower = 5.7 horsepower)

Last edited:
   / T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #12  
I have had the 494 since August of 2019, it is serial #65. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I looked at he turbo, but was leery of it. The dealer talked me out of it. I have enough power and it is an amazing machine for the money.
Cop says he has serial number 65. I have a 574 with serial number 9. My dealer had to order for me. I asked him if the low serial number indicated sequence of production and he responded that the serial number had no bearing. The 574 was already about 2 years into production. Any thoughts?

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #13  
The turbos engins of today are good engines and turbos but my only gripe is after working a turbo engine hard the turbo should be cooled down before shutdown if not the oil in the turbo could coke or turn into ash and damage the turbo bearings. I now have a turbo engine and my son built me a 3 minute timer that i mash a spring loaded switch and turn the engine key to off position and it will idle for 3 min then shut off . I like the Kukje engine also because it is not computer controled and no turbo and to me that is a good thing.
Any pictures of that setup?

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #14  
I have a T494. I went with the non-turbo because im not running pto implements that would require more hp, so I decided the added cost and potential complications would provide no benefit.

/ T494 or T574 - to Turbo or not #15  
I have a T494. I went with the non-turbo because im not running pto implements that would require more hp, so I decided the added cost and potential complications would provide no benefit.
The added cost was very little and I wanted the option to run beefier Rotary Cutter or Tiller. I have not heard of many situations where people have had problems with the turbo.