T5C "back in service" check list

/ T5C "back in service" check list #1  

iam2sam

Tractor
looking
Hello. I have a T5C that was re-powered with a Honda V-twin by the PO. It worked pretty well when last used, with the exception of a leaky seal that allows one strut to drop after retraction (locks down fine when extended). The "when last used" is my current issue, the tractor has been sitting outdoors for quite a while. I'm looking to develop a check list of items that should be evaluated before I tow it to the remote location where I need to use it. I'm guessing the potential steering box water infiltration issue should be near the top of that list because of outdoor exposure. What other major items would you suggest? Also, the rear tires are pretty well dry rotted and will need to be replaced. I looked at 9.5-16 R1 ag tires and was shocked at the prices (even the "discount" brands). Has anyone used an alternate style/tread 16" tire on this tractor with any success? Thanks for the benefit of your experience!

SAM

/ T5C "back in service" check list #2  
Rear wheel bolt pattern is pretty common. Some owners slap on car/truck wheels temporarily, then put off replacing pricey rubber for the OEM rims. 2WD doesn't need to sync tire diameter to match front & rear wheel gearing and tire size doesn't mean much when we're up on the stabs and digging. YMMV depending on where you dig and conditions at the job.

Water gets into the column (offset) if there's no center cap on the steering wheel. Freezing in there does damage that rust alone won't. I get several years out of a 'rain cap' (round HDPE bottle) when parked in full sun before it crumbles. There are two fuel shutoffs, one on the firewall and one in the Honda carburetor. Either one can shut you down if wire connections corrode. See OM for cylinder positions when checking hydro level.

I have one stab that drifts down when parked. Both need an occasional boost when I'm digging. 15 years and going strong.

/ T5C "back in service" check list #3  
Check the coupling that links the drive motor to the rear end. Those four bolts can loosen up.

/ T5C "back in service" check list
Thanks, guys. Seems as if these machines weather fairly well. I did find a freelance equipment mechanic in the area who generally works on larger stuff, but after I described to machine to him and told him I just want it generally gone through and checked out, he is willing to look at it. I'm inclined to take it to him and pass along this advice. I don't see that I have much to lose. While I'm confident that I could recover enough of my former mechanical skills to get the job done, I do have far too many projects and far too little time.

/ T5C "back in service" check list
Rear wheel bolt pattern is pretty common...
I'm thinking I might have missed some essential bit of information somewhere along the way. I did do a search here and found a thread that gave good detail about compatibility between various auto make & model rims and Terrmate T5C rear (5.5" 5-bolt circle, 108mm hub) and front ( 4.5" 5-bolt circle, hub hole size unspecified) wheels. What I'm missing is why I couldn't just remove the rotted R1 9.5x16 tires and replace with some 16" auto/truck tire using the existing Terramite rims. I know I'd want something with heavy sidewalls and aggressive tread, but is there anything preventing me from making that swap? I'm guessing a tubeless tire might not properly seal to the T5 rim, but adding a tube isn't rocket science.