Tail gate weight rating

/ Tail gate weight rating #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
Can't seem to find any data on the load rating for my F-150 tail gate. I am guessing that it would take somewhere around a 500 pound load. Does anyone else have a short bed that may have loaded your PT, using the tail gate to support the two front, or back wheels. Or has anyone beefed up the tailgate for this purpose? If so how did you go about it heaver cables ect?

I would like to use a portable fold up loading ramp that plugs into my receiver. It also uses the open tailgate for extra storage room. I'm also wondering about tongue weight loading for the PT I have read a class 3 supports up to 600 lbs tongue.

I bought the ramp for mowing equipment it has a 1200 lb. load rating, but would also like to use it for the PT for quick loading and unloading into my truck verses dragging my trailer around in town all of the time. If it can be beefed up and done safely. :eek:

/ Tail gate weight rating #2  
I do what you describe every time I transport my PT however I have an older pickup ('91 K2500) and it has hinged bars that support the tailgate, not cables. There has never been even a hint of a problem with support.

Phil

/ Tail gate weight rating #3  
I didn't trust my tailgate for loading because my truck was a rusty piece O iron. I don't know that I'd trust a new one, either, though. The thought of falling 3' while sitting on the PT makes me cringe!!!! :eek:

/ Tail gate weight rating #4  
MossRoad said:
I didn't trust my tailgate for loading because my truck was a rusty piece O iron. I don't know that I'd trust a new one, either, though. The thought of falling 3' while sitting on the PT makes me cringe!!!! :eek:

It wouldn't be a 3' drop, MR! If the cables let loose, the tailgate would stop at the bumper. The ramps (secured, of course) would remain attached. Maybe a 1' drop, possibly 2'. And maybe only one cable would part so only one side would drop. Not even an "E" ticket ride!

Of course, the design and appearance of the tailgate would be modified. As would the PT seat, as it may have a big pucker permanently creased. But again, that'd only be if the cable parted.

I know that there've been recalls on tailgate cables (GM, I think) that were parting. From what I remember, it was a rust/corrosion situation and they replaced the cables with new for the recall. If I had cables I'd inspect them carefully for rust at the pressed-on ends and replace if any rust was apparent. But I wouldn't hesitate to trust the tailgate if the cables were good.

Phil

/ Tail gate weight rating #5  
I was told by Power Trac that the PT422/425 were designed to be carried by a pickup truck. That was what limited their size.

/ Tail gate weight rating #6  
Bob Rip...that's true, but I believe they were talking about a full sized bed...my F-250 full size has just enough room to fit my PT onto it. The attached bucket sort of hangs over the closed tailgate.

/ Tail gate weight rating #7  
Barryh said:
Can't seem to find any data on the load rating for my F-150 tail gate. I am guessing that it would take somewhere around a 500 pound load. Does anyone else have a short bed that may have loaded your PT, using the tail gate to support the two front, or back wheels. Or has anyone beefed up the tailgate for this purpose? If so how did you go about it heaver cables ect?

I would like to use a portable fold up loading ramp that plugs into my receiver. It also uses the open tailgate for extra storage room. I'm also wondering about tongue weight loading for the PT I have read a class 3 supports up to 600 lbs tongue.

I bought the ramp for mowing equipment it has a 1200 lb. load rating, but would also like to use it for the PT for quick loading and unloading into my truck verses dragging my trailer around in town all of the time. If it can be beefed up and done safely. :eek:

Barry, I've been looking at that kind of ramp. If your talking about the ones I think you are, the ramps are supported by the receiver hitch and not the tail gate. You would only be driving over the tailgate between the ramps and the bed of your truck. I can't imagine you would have any problem with that as long as your cables are good. Bye the way, how do you like those ramps?

/ Tail gate weight rating
RegL said:
Barry, I've been looking at that kind of ramp. If your talking about the ones I think you are, the ramps are supported by the receiver hitch and not the tail gate. You would only be driving over the tailgate between the ramps and the bed of your truck. I can't imagine you would have any problem with that as long as your cables are good. Bye the way, how do you like those ramps?
Well first thanks to everyone for the input, as always.

I have not plugged it in just yet. Got it last night, so I was waiting for Sat to test it out. Which now, will be raining around here all day. So Sunday I may have to look it over and give it a try.

I’ll let you know for sure. It looks like a very sturdy setup, and should be great for added bed space and the convenience of fast loading / unloading equipment, we will see. I'm not so much worried about driving the PT over the tail gate for loading, but I have an F-150 short 6.5 bed pickup. So the front wheels would have to set on the tail gate for transport. Even though I think the tail gate is more than strong enough.

I don't really trust the cable setup for supporting the PT during transport. The idea of hitting bumps just doesn’t give me a secure feeling. So I think I may have to add some extra support to the gate just to be on the safe side. As stated, this is a brand new truck not the good ol bullet proof die hards from years ago. It’s built tough, but it even rides like a car. So I was just curious to see if anyone else transports their PT resting on the tailgate. :eek: Thanks Phil, that's good to know.

/ Tail gate weight rating #9  
Barryh said:
I have not plugged it in just yet.

Have you carefully checked the owners manual that came with the truck to see if it has any information about allowable loads on thetailgate?

/ Tail gate weight rating #10  
Barry,

Have you determined how you'll tie the PT in? I tow a fifthwheel with my shortbed and run 4 straps from the PT to the rails in the bed that the fifthwheel hitch pins to. Works well, seems plenty strong. If I were to roll the pickup the straps likely wouldn't hold. But under those circumstances I'd have other things to worry about. This is one of the rare times I use the parking brake on the PT.

Oh..... be sure and use your parking brake on the truck when you load/unload! I didn't one time and the truck drivetrain allows quite a bit of movement -- too much. I heard of one guy's cousin who had a friend who knew someone that broke a ring gear tooth while loading equipment without putting on the parking brake (actually it was a post on another forum).

I also keep the PT front wheels ON the tailgate (there's enough room to move it BARELY back off of it) which keeps the tailgate from bouncing and banging. The ramps slide under the PT, with some strap ends tying for extra security, then I drop the bucket or hoe or mower down til it touches the tailgate and I'm off.

Phil