/ Tax freedom day #1  

Mousefield

Elite Member
Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
Tractor
Sold 2008 CK35 HST
Tax freedom day - 5 long months

Today we have Tax freedom day in British Columbia, Canada. :drink:
It is 3 days later than last year. :mad: Amazing how much we pay in taxes up here. :confused2: No wonder most people don't seem to have much spending money after working for more than 5 months to give to the government. What is your tax freedom day?
I would suspect it is different by province or state as the tax rate for income tax and sales tax would vary.

Last edited:
   / Tax freedom day #2  
we do one weekend where we don't pay any state sales tax (4%) but we still pay parish/county tax (4.5%)

/ Tax freedom day #4  
In Texas, it's always just before school starts in the Fall or late Summer, so people can buy clothes and school supplies. This year will be August 20, 21, and 22. And it doesn't include everything by any means, but if you'd like to see a list of what is and isn't taxed at that time, you can read all about it at the Sales Tax Holiday.

/ Tax freedom day
Just to clarify. What I mean by tax freedom day is the day we have finished paying the government all the direct and indirect taxes for the year. I believe it works out to 41% of your income for the average person.

/ Tax freedom day #7  
Just to clarify. What I mean by tax freedom day is the day we have finished paying the government all the direct and indirect taxes for the year. I believe it works out to 41% of your income for the average person.

Oops, I misunderstood.:eek: And now that I know what you mean, I don't know when ours is.

/ Tax freedom day #8  
Yeah, work 41% of the year to pay for someone else's spending.

/ Tax freedom day #10  
Currently it is May 30 here (up from May 27 last year).

However it is expected sales tax will rise from 17.5% to perhaps 20% in the emergency budget due in a fortnight which along with a few other changes may put it back well into June next year.

J