TC29 in a pasture rehab.

/ TC29 in a pasture rehab. #1  

Txsrooster

Tractor
New Holland TC29
I am buying a piece of property and sitting in the middle is a New Holland TC29. The instrument panel is completely trashed and the shroud surrounding it is cracked in two spots. The weeds have grown up to around it but not completely over taken it. All 4 tires are still full...don't know if they are full of air or something else.... IF I want to try and save it, what would I need to do/check to determine if it is worth saving? The previous owner passed away and his family is selling the property and knows little to nothing about the tractor. It comes with the bucket on the front and a pasture rake on the back...If it is worth saving, what steps would you recommend I take to bring it back to life? Is it easy to bar the engine over to make sure it is free? Empty fuel tank, change injectors, maybe new glow plugs and battery...lots of grease fittings. I will swing by and get some photos tomorrow

/ TC29 in a pasture rehab. #2  
I am buying a piece of property and sitting in the middle is a New Holland TC29. The instrument panel is completely trashed and the shroud surrounding it is cracked in two spots. The weeds have grown up to around it but not completely over taken it. All 4 tires are still full...don't know if they are full of air or something else.... IF I want to try and save it, what would I need to do/check to determine if it is worth saving? The previous owner passed away and his family is selling the property and knows little to nothing about the tractor. It comes with the bucket on the front and a pasture rake on the back...If it is worth saving, what steps would you recommend I take to bring it back to life? Is it easy to bar the engine over to make sure it is free? Empty fuel tank, change injectors, maybe new glow plugs and battery...lots of grease fittings. I will swing by and get some photos tomorrow
You need to get it running and see if the transmission and the hydraulics are working and in that order. See if the engine can be turned using a socket wrench on the crankshaft pulley. If it turns there's hope. Check the engine oil, the hydraulic oil, the fuel tank and coolant. Drain the fuel filter looking for water or crud in the sediment bowl. If it has a water separator check for water and crud in that. If the fuel in the tank looks cloudy than you'll want to drain that and put some fresh fuel in. Check the air filter to make sure there is no mouse nests in there and blow out any dirt.
Jump the battery and see if you can get it to turn over. You may have to jump it directly to the starter solenoid if the key switch is not working or the relays are bad. Make sure the fuel tank valve, if it has one, is open, and try a start. If it starts, don't run it for long because there may be condensed water in the oil. At this point you could change the oil and filter, replace the fuel filter(s), the sir filter, the coolant and the hydraulic oil if it looks like creamed coffee. If it doesn't start that doesn't mean you should give up hope. It all depends how much time and money you want to put into it to get it running.
Just my $0.02!

/ TC29 in a pasture rehab.
You need to get it running and see if the transmission and the hydraulics are working and in that order. See if the engine can be turned using a socket wrench on the crankshaft pulley. If it turns there's hope. Check the engine oil, the hydraulic oil, the fuel tank and coolant. Drain the fuel filter looking for water or crud in the sediment bowl. If it has a water separator check for water and crud in that. If the fuel in the tank looks cloudy than you'll want to drain that and put some fresh fuel in. Check the air filter to make sure there is no mouse nests in there and blow out any dirt.
Jump the battery and see if you can get it to turn over. You may have to jump it directly to the starter solenoid if the key switch is not working or the relays are bad. Make sure the fuel tank valve, if it has one, is open, and try a start. If it starts, don't run it for long because there may be condensed water in the oil. At this point you could change the oil and filter, replace the fuel filter(s), the sir filter, the coolant and the hydraulic oil if it looks like creamed coffee. If it doesn't start that doesn't mean you should give up hope. It all depends how much time and money you want to put into it to get it running.
Just my $0.02!
Thanks for the guidance...We close in 18 days, and I want to start getting a list together to try out. The hydraulic hoses on the FEL are appear to be cracked or dry rot so don't think they will last long, but they can wait until later stage of repair/restore.

/ TC29 in a pasture rehab. #4  
If there are no major issues with it the TC29 is a pretty simple machine to wrench on... Jerry/MT gave some really good solid advice.

I would visually check the entire machine over first... then check the engine & hydraulic oils to make sure, 1st they're present & 2nd they're is not water in them. Then check the air filter...
I would pull the side consoles & the instrument cluster... mice love these areas... (it is also where the relays & fuses are)
Drain the fuel bowl... I personally would drain the fuel... if it is good you could always poor it back in, but I would prefer starting with known good diesel fuel.
Again as Jerry/MT said above see if the engine is free... if it is I would bring a known good battery & see what happens.... If you get any sign of life... move on from there...

Well it won't be hard to pull the instrument panel...Sadly I went out there today to look at something and these was pretty much the only pic I took of the tracter..

IMG_20211130_151540.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211130_151546.jpg
    IMG_20211130_151546.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20211130_152239.jpg
    IMG_20211130_152239.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 243
Last edited:
overall view of the tractor.
IMG_20211201_164757.jpg

/ TC29 in a pasture rehab. #7  
I just bought a TC29 and have a few issues I'm working through as well. Definitely dump the fuel before trying to start it. It's easy and could save some headache. What part of TX are you in?

I just bought a TC29 and have a few issues I'm working through as well. Definitely dump the fuel before trying to start it. It's easy and could save some headache. What part of TX are you in?
I live in the Fe area...Santa Fe hahah.. Between Houston and Galveston. I did verify the engine turns freely, well the guy from work walked up and turned the key and it spun over a couple of times before the battery gave out. Told him to quit.

/ TC29 in a pasture rehab. #9  
I'm in Baytown, so not far. I'd start with fuel, battery and checking fluids. If it runs I'd change hydraulic oil if it looks milky before moving it as that oil is in transmission. I can get you a copy of the owners manual if you need one. It will at least save you $50

/ TC29 in a pasture rehab. #10  
My tc29 runs good except hydraulic oil leak which is also causing the clutch to slip. It has almost 400 hours