Oil & Fuel tc29da front axle oil changer type of oil

/ tc29da front axle oil changer type of oil #1  

caWillie

In the operator's manual for front axle final reduction it shows a filler plug, but my tractor has no such thing. It has a drain plug only. I Called two New Holland dealers and got two different answers. One said look hard, it's there, the other said it fills from the front axle after it's drained. Also, one said I should use 90 wt; the other said to use g134 hydraulic oil. The book says to use g134 hydraulic oil.

So I used what the book said to use, g134, because the oil felt like and looked like g134.
Did I do right thing.???????????

/ tc29da front axle oil changer type of oil #2  
caWillie said:
In the operator's manual for front axle final reduction it shows a filler plug, but my tractor has no such thing. It has a drain plug only. I Called two New Holland dealers and got two different answers. One said look hard, it's there, the other said it fills from the front axle after it's drained. Also, one said I should use 90 wt; the other said to use g134 hydraulic oil. The book says to use g134 hydraulic oil.

So I used what the book said to use, g134, because the oil felt like and looked like g134.
Did I do right thing.???????????

You did right by using the 134 hydraulic oil as specified. There is nothing on your tractor that uses 90W gear oil. You would use that oil in the gearbox of rotary cutter or tiller, but not on your tractor.

The front axle final reduction gearbox (sometimes call a "drop box") on some TC29s is fed oil from the main differential. This topic was brought up in the past and a NH tech explained that the oil drained down into the gearbox from the differential on some models. Some others have both a fill plug and a drain plug on the final drives.

I would drain the differential and final reductions and leave the drain plugs off the final reduction boxes. Start filling the differential and wait for the oil to start running out the drain plugs before replacing them. Then fill the differential case. Recheck and refill as necessary until the level stays constant.

I'm not an expert on your tractor, but I believe this is the info covered in the previous post. It sounds like at least one of the people you talked to gave you very good advice.

BTW: Welcome to the forum. I think you'll enjoy TBN and we would love to hear about your tractor...hopefully with pictures.:)

/ tc29da front axle oil changer type of oil #3  
Your op manual predates your tractor. If you have no final drive fill plug, you have to fill the hubs via the center section. Not one of NH's better changes. It's best to measure the oil into the center section, then MUCH later, re-check the oil level to ensure proper levels after the oil has migrated into the final drive hubs. It's a slow process. 134D hydraulic oil is the correct fill.