TC35D Hydraulic fluid or Oil blowing out hose under engine.

/ TC35D Hydraulic fluid or Oil blowing out hose under engine. #1  

SWOOLEY

Tractor
New Holland TC35
Please help this novice. There is hydraulic fluid or oil blowing out of a hose that comes from the top of the engine and hangs freely underneath. I am assuming it's some sort of vent because my reservoir cap isn't equipped to vent. I have changed the filters and fluids. At idle nothing comes through the hose but the more you idle the more blows out of this hose. Fluid seems to be a little foamy. The bucket and 3-way work properly. I don't know much about tractors but I'm trying to learn. This NH is about 20 years old. Thanks.

SW

/ TC35D Hydraulic fluid or Oil blowing out hose under engine. #2  
What you are describing sounds like the vent tube on the engine.

Have you checked engine oil level?

Does engine start easily?

Does engine smoke excessivly?

Is this something that just started to happen or has it gotten steadily worse over time?

/ TC35D Hydraulic fluid or Oil blowing out hose under engine. #3  
Sometimes if the oil wasn't changed often enough, or the thermostat hasn't been changed it will cause this. The holes in the head that lets rocker arm oil drain back to oil pan will get crudded up. That will allow the oil to get a little deeper than intended on the head. Oil gets pulled in by the valves, because it is deeper than intended. It gets deep enough that the oil piles up around the movement of the valve. It would do it on a brand new engine that you bought today, if those drain holes don't drain well.

A new thermostat and run it with it getting as hot as intended. Oil additive helps too.

Valve stem seals will cause this but it's not old enough to need those. I have a 72 model that they are just now getting bad.

Other situation is it got way too hot in it's past and weakened tension of piston rings. Let's not go there just yet. But try thermostat and additive for a while first and see if things clear.

/ TC35D Hydraulic fluid or Oil blowing out hose under engine.
What you are describing sounds like the vent tube on the engine.

Have you checked engine oil level?

Does engine start easily?

Does engine smoke excessivly?

Is this something that just started to happen or has it gotten steadily worse over time?
I changed the oil and filter after this started. I'll double check the oil level this morning. Engine starts great; I recently installed a new battery and alternator. There is no excessive smoke. This did start all at once.

/ TC35D Hydraulic fluid or Oil blowing out hose under engine. #5  
I'll double check the oil level this morning.
Also check the coolant level in the radiator. Sounds to me like you may have coolant in the oil. Foaming oil is a sure sign there's water or coolant mixed with it. :eek:

/ TC35D Hydraulic fluid or Oil blowing out hose under engine. #6  
Since it starts good and does not smoke I would do like roustabout suggests and check to see if top of engine is clean. If this model has oil fill in valve cover you can sometimes see top of head through the filler hole. If yes does it look clean or covered in sludge? Does fill cap have any foam or sludge on it?

Checked the oil and it showed way too much. Drained oil and filled to proper level. Started tractor and ran it at a higher idle. There was no leak for several minutes until I started raising and lowering bucket & bush hog. Starting pouring out again. I don't know if this was from the engine warming up or using the hydraulics. Anyway, I killed engine and checked oil level. You guessed it, it was way high again. So obviously something is mixing with the oil. I do not know how to determine what. Thanks again for any suggestions. Should I go ahead and replace the thermostat?

/ TC35D Hydraulic fluid or Oil blowing out hose under engine. #8  
When one fluid level rises another drops. Fuel, hydro or water...... Water (coolant) will turn oil into chocolate milk most of the time. Fuel may be able to smell on the dip stick. Hydro check you fluid level and see if it drops.
Had a carb leak in Suzuki that would add a gallon of gas to the oil in a week, not good.

/ TC35D Hydraulic fluid or Oil blowing out hose under engine. #9  
If started blowing oil after using the hydraulics i would check hydraulic oil level first. Some models of tractors have the hydraulic pump mounted on the engine so if the pump shaft seal starts to leak it will fill the engine crankcase with hydraulic oil.

I have seen many post that suggest replacing the hydraulic pump seals or the entire pump. Pump is expensive but doesn't look like a difficult job.