TC45 Transmission Noise?

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #1  

tdw230

Tractor
New Holland TC45D
After using the TC45D for a while this morning I noticed a grinding or grating noise coming from under the tractor. Sounds like a transmission noise. It does it intermittently and once it starts I am only able to get it to stop by stopping the tractor. I tried to make is stop by reducing the RMP's but no dice. Any Ideas on where to start looking for the problem? Thanks in advance for your answers!

Best Regards,

T.D.

/ TC45 Transmission Noise?
No the parking brake is not on. I did check that first thing.

Thanks again.

T.D.

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #4  
tdw230 said:
After using the TC45D for a while this morning I noticed a grinding or grating noise coming from under the tractor. Sounds like a transmission noise. It does it intermittently and once it starts I am only able to get it to stop by stopping the tractor. I tried to make is stop by reducing the RMP's but no dice. Any Ideas on where to start looking for the problem? Thanks in advance for your answers!

Best Regards,

T.D.
Stopping tractor mean stop as in not moving? Or engine off?
Vary with RPM? Vary Hi/Lo range? Left side (wheel bearing?) Right side?Change with PTO on or off? Can you freewheel down a small hill (with motor off, tranny in neutral and get noise? All fluids at right level and clean?
Bob

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #5  
Doc Bob mentioned most of the questions I had, but I'll try to add a little bit more.

If by "stopping" you mean not moving the tractor and the sound goes away, then it is not PTO related and also is not related to the engine, fan shroud, or power steering pump. All those things would be independent of the tractor rolling.

If the noise is only when rolling, I'd engage and disengage MFWD to see if that changes the sound our eliminates it. It could be due to a bent housing rubbing on the MFWD drive shaft going to the front axle or it could be that your MFWD driveline is malfunctioning.

With MFWD disengaged...If the sound is inside the transmission and only when moving, put your HI/NEUTRAL/LO lever in neutral while still moving and coast a little. If the sound goes away, it could be coming from the hydrostatic transmission. If the sound continues, it's probably in the main "gear" gearbox and/or rear wheel differential. Is your differential locked or does that work?

Just think of the major components and try to eliminate them one at a time:

1. Engine/fan/waterpump/power steering pump/ main hydraulic pump
2. MFWD and front axle
3. PTO
4. Hydrostatic transmission
5. Main gears and differential.
6. Any vibration that might sound like rubbing or scraping.

Hope this helps...

Jim and Doc Bob,
Thanks for the checklist to help figure out what is going on. What I mean by stopping is that pushing in the clutch and using the brakes to come to a stop, engine running and pto off. I did try to engage and disengage the MFWD several time and still get the noise. I am not sure if it coming from just the from or directly under the operators platform. It is intermitent though. I will try to start working on the check list. Freewheeling it makes sense so I may try that first. Thanks again for the help.

T.D.

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #7  
T.D., hang in there! let us know how the freewheeling goes. I never asked, but I assumed the tractor works fine?
Bob

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #8  
"...pushing in the clutch...?" I thought you said it was a TC45D in your first post. That would be a hydrostatic transmission and no clutch. If it's a gear tractor, you might have different problems. Disregard my #4 on the list above.

Jim,
Sorry, it is a gear tractor. TC45A MFWD schuttle shift.

Doc Bob,
I tried to let the tractor coast last night and did not hear the noise. I was not able to get it to duplicate the noise at all. I am thinking that since I heard the noise after I had been bushhogging for a few hours maybe it has something to do with being hot. Is there any reason that I would have heard this sound from under the tractor ( I am assuming transmission or front axle) ?

This is turning into a Pain!!! I want to try to narrow down the problem before I take it into the shop. Not sure what I will be getting into at the shop because I have never used this dealer before.

Thanks again for the help.

TD

/ TC45 Transmission Noise? #10  
tdw230 said:
Jim,
I tried to let the tractor coast last night and did not hear the noise. I was not able to get it to duplicate the noise at all.
TD

Well, check fluids, and if noise is gone, then just watch. I assume clutch is adjusted correctly? All zerks have been lubed? Bush Hog is not the source of the noise?
Bob