TC45D Radiator Leak

/ TC45D Radiator Leak #1  

Professor Marvel

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, Kubota 2150 HST, NH TC45 D, JD 375 Baby Skid Steer --- STUFF THAT GOES ON EM, Schwinn Stingray
Found a pinhole spraying the back of my battery and draining my radiator. I thought I could just get it brazed or silver soldered. I spoke to a friend at work who had a leak in his TC40 radiator. He said it is a a plastic aluminum radiator and not the kind I can braze etc. He said just replace it. What are the thoughts here?
Thanks

/ TC45D Radiator Leak #2  
When you see the price of a new radiator from New Holland you will definitely want to look into a repair if possible. I'd guess $450 or maybe more. I would think about taking it to a local radiator shop and get their opinion. Your friend may not be up on modern repair techniques if one exists for your problem. You have to take it off anyway. Best of luck.

/ TC45D Radiator Leak
Thanks Brant
I think you are right. I will check with the radiator shop.

/ TC45D Radiator Leak #4  
I also think the radiator shop is your best bet. You might find that the radiator shop can do a re-core cheaper than buying a new radiator. If your core's problem was caused by external damage, they might be able to repair it with high temperature solder.

/ TC45D Radiator Leak #5  
Last year I bought a new radiator from NH since mine had blown a 4" split at the seam. Not cheap! Due to time constraints I didn't have the option of taking it to a radiator shop, but that would be my suggestion as well. It has to be less expensive.

/ TC45D Radiator Leak
Thanks folks
Appreciate your help as usual.

/ TC45D Radiator Leak #8  
If you want to postpone the radiator replacement until more moderate springtime weather, you might try Alumaseal. I've used it and it works exactly as advertised.

/ TC45D Radiator Leak #9  
What ever happened in this thread? I have the same leak and wondered what you ended up doing...

A modern radiator shop can repair aluminum radiators. A radiator business near me repairs automotive aluminum rad's-they have a core program just as starters etc but the radiator must be repairable-not from a wreck or major damage -tree branch going through it etc.

My wifes car sprung a leak from age and we exchanged rad's..it was about 60% the cost of a new one but had a one year warranty and with the car being a 2002 we plan on trading it in this year.