Tearing up the grass

/ Tearing up the grass #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
I read in the R1 vs R4 debates how the r4 will not tear up the grass as bad. Can someone elaborate on what that means? Does that mean they will leave less ruts in softer condition or just that they will pull out less grass when turning. My house is closing in a couple weeks and I will be on the prowl for a tractor shortly after. I am leaning towards R1 tires just for general utility as the only real benefit I see to the R4 is just "easier on the lawn". My thought is that if the ground is soft enough to leave a rut (compacted tracks) either tire will probably do it. My ground is hard enough in the summer the R1 will not/ should not leave any impressions. It seems to me that there would be a narrow window of time where there would be much difference.

I put bar tires on my commercial zero turn and they do really well. I have a hard time with the thought process of putting a tire with less traction on a tractor? Maybe there is more to it than I think?

/ Tearing up the grass #2  
Think of following the same curving path across your lawn. With an R4 you can cover the same path 3 or 4 times without tearing up the grass. With an R1, be expecting the grass to tear the 2nd time you follow that curving route.
I used R4's on the lawn of an RV park that I owned. I was very happy with them, but made it a point not to create a path. Now I own a cattle farm. I don't work in dirt - I work in pasture. I'm still happy with the R4's, and would not replace them with R1's.

/ Tearing up the grass #3  
What size tractor are you considering?

what else will you do besides mow the lawn with this tractor.

I have R1 on my 2400H Branson and yes the front tires will leave marks when turning sharp at speed or if locked in 4WD.

no issues with tracks even with full bucket of dirt on dry lawn.

/ Tearing up the grass #4  
An R4 tire is wider. They make quite a bit of difference on soft ground. Unless your goal is maximum traction I’d get R4s. They support a loader better, they last longer, they’re more puncture resistant, they’re easier on the grass. The con is they don’t get as much traction.

/ Tearing up the grass
Looking at Kubota MX or JD 4 series size tractor. Other than mowing and bush hoging at my place, I will keep a decent size garden and general chores. I have 11.5 acres that we just moved on to that was about 90% animal pasture so I would like to level it up over time, dig a little here, move it to over there, etc. Also my sister and her husband are planning on purchasing a large unimproved piece of property for the whole family to enjoy. As much as they have done/ been there for me, I want to do as much as I can to help spruce it up when the time comes. I don't really care if the grass gets scuffed up a little. I'm thinking more about ruts or compacting enough to kill the grass in the tracks, and I'm thinking both would probably do that? I would prefer to get R1 just because it's my first tractor and I really don't know how I will ultimately use it. I think I would rather have more reliable traction and mark a little vs not marking as much and reducing the utility of the tractor. I expect that during the dry months either tire will probably be pretty similar and I would need to be more careful in the damp, either marking the ground with the R1 or spinning the R4.

/ Tearing up the grass #6  
I would go with the R1s, but that is my personal choice for traction and the only thing I really concern myself with. While my tractor that I have now is for my home at one time I did do farm work using real tractors and I would not have any other kind of tire.

Like you, what I mow was once pasture/hay lot and my "lawn" is really just hay and clover and whatever else was growing here that I have mowed into submission. I don't really worry about taring it up, and when dry I have never seen were my R1s tare up the "lawn". The only exception to this is when it is extremely wet. Last month (July) it rained here more days than in recorded history, at least according to the weather man and there were a couple of places where I dug in a bit because it was a bit muddy. Even then it did not kill any grass and you couldn't even see the tracks after a couple of days. On the other hand to me it is just lawn and I care very little about it being "pretty" or up to my neighbors standards.

You're also looking at a tractor that is significantly heavier than mine and this will make a difference. As well as the fact that other say the tires might be narrower.... there is no difference in tire width for my tractor for the different tire types, but I cannot speak to what effect narrower tires will have.

In any case, if you concern is traction in a field then I would go with the R1s.

/ Tearing up the grass
Oh also, I do have a 60 commercial ZTR that I will use a lot for mowing still. I would only use the tractor on the large open places and do the detail with the ZTR. I can also mow the 3 acres I have set aside for yard completely with it in the damper months if I need to. Obviously the rough non yard areas would be with a rough rotary cutter behind the tractor.

/ Tearing up the grass #8  
I have turf front tires and r1 rears. My tlb isn't 4wd a d I've never got stuck and they don't tear the grass up

/ Tearing up the grass #9  
Regardless of tire type, some tractors will scrub the sod more when turning sharp. Test drives are so important and it helps to do it behind the shop on gravel. If the front tires leave scrub marks or grooves while on the gravel, it will also do it to your yard. In the past, some makers have had to warranty front axles because customers complained about torn up grass. Different caster/camber/toe-in would make a big difference.