Telescopic stabilizers on a Massey 240?

/ Telescopic stabilizers on a Massey 240? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I don't like the chain stabilizers a on my Massey Ferguson 240. I see this telescopic style for sale. Anyone have them or an opinion?

image-2146016202.jpg

image-1732466144.jpg. This is what I have now.

/ Telescopic stabilizers on a Massey 240? #2  
I have aftermarket telescopic stabilizers from Stabilworks on 2 of our tractors and I'm very pleased with both sets.
They dramatically reduced the amount of time it takes to swap implements and greatly reduced swaying once an implement is hitched up.

StabilWorks

TBN member Mark Hodge runs the operation and he's a pleasure to do business with.
Your 240 may be a little too big for his product, but drop him a line - he may already have a design that will work for you.

-Jim

/ Telescopic stabilizers on a Massey 240?
Thanks for the advice. I actually contacted him recently but he did not have any for my tractor. He was very nice and said he could design and make some. But I see these others online so I was hoping they may work, as they are listed for my specific tractor, and they look decent

/ Telescopic stabilizers on a Massey 240? #4  
I have the same problem with my 245. I am going to fabricate a set of stabilizers for the arms so I do not have to mess with stabilizer bars.

/ Telescopic stabilizers on a Massey 240? #5  
My 6640 New Holland/Ford has the telescoping stabilizers, they mount on the outside of the arms rather than on the inside. They have several different holes so you can lock the arms side to side plus a slotted hole about 2 1/2" long so it will let arms swing side to side. Another plus is no chains in your way when you have to hook up a pto shaft.

/ Telescopic stabilizers on a Massey 240? #6  
Those chains are not stabilizers, they are limits for the lift arms. They keep the lift arms from hitting the rear tires. Those older row crop tractors use to use a straight bar for stabilizers. one end was mounted to tractor rear end housing and the other end hooked on the lift pin on the equipment. I have seen them at TSC stores as well as dealers. I liked the straight bars better, they were easier to hook up and worked just as well as the adjustable kind.

/ Telescopic stabilizers on a Massey 240? #7  
I think you are right crankshaft. The photo isn't the sharpest. My tractors currently have the telescopic stabilizers and they work great. When I had the 243mf it had the chain with the turn buckle stabilizers from the factory and it worked just fine. In some situations even better. They attached from the outside of the lift arms to the bracket under the rear axles, part of the fender attachment. I'm sure they are available from your dealer. As an oem part it maybe pricey.

Those chains are not stabilizers, they are limits for the lift arms. They keep the lift arms from hitting the rear tires. Those older row crop tractors use to use a straight bar for stabilizers. one end was mounted to tractor rear end housing and the other end hooked on the lift pin on the equipment. I have seen them at TSC stores as well as dealers. I liked the straight bars better, they were easier to hook up and worked just as well as the adjustable kind.

Yes. My wording was incorrect. The part I showed is called a check chain assembly. The purpose is to limit the motion of the lift arm and keep the implement from swaying side to side. Having used a telescopic version of this, I really dislike the chains as they are very difficult to tweak the range of motion. I assumed the telescopic stabilizers I showed were designed to replace these chains. Am I wrong? Do others have this issue with the chains. I would prefer a telescopic adjustable assembly to serve the same purpose. Just not sure the part I listed are what I'm looking for as no dimensions are given.

Here is a picture of a similar tractor. What I want is to replace the two inner check chains with something more adjustable and easier to use. like a telescopic stabilizer I have on my Kubota

image-3287227764.jpg

/ Telescopic stabilizers on a Massey 240? #10  
the check chain assembly becomes unnecessary if you have the rigid telescope stabilizers. Because they are rigid they limit the movement of the lift arms towards the wheels. And when you attach an implement and adjust it correctly it keeps said implement from moving around. A twofer for lack of a better term. The check chains are no longer needed. My 2, 253s do not have these chains as they have the rigid stabilizers. On tractors that I had they never were an issue. I don't know what you can be doing different that causes a problem.