Tell me about hay tarps

/ Tell me about hay tarps #1  

super55

Platinum Member
Tractor
Oliver Super55, John Deere 4310, John Deere 4400, Kubota L2500 (had),
I know this seems like a silly question but looking for advice on what type of tarp to use for outdoor hay storage.

Here's the parameters:

Climate: Northern Michigan-mild temps low humidity summers/fall weather all over the place from warm temps to snow/winter-snow, snow and more snow with temps below freezing typically from Dec-March.

Hay- variations of typically small square in fall/early winter to net wrapped round bales throughout winter months. Hay is grass blend of ochard grass and timothy.

I have seen specialty hay tarps that seem really lightweight and look to be of similar fabric as to what they use for low cost boat covers, your typical poly tarp and have even considered going with canvas tarps.

I'm looking for information what works best to limit inside condensation. I had read on other forums that canvas works really good for breathability and the wife seems to like the idea of going with a Tan canvas tarp over a typical white hay tarp. Cost ends up being the same. Just looking for some opinions on successes or failures of outdoor storage of hay.

/ Tell me about hay tarps #2  
I've used a large silver Harbor Freight tarp stacking 5' round bales 2 high and lost hay to moisture under the tarp. It seemed to wick up from the ground.

/ Tell me about hay tarps #3  
Here in eastern Kansas, I store a dozen bales of twine tied straw on two levels of wooden skids. These are used seasonally around my place. Bales that are not used store in original condition from season to season without deterioration. They are covered with 6 mil black plastic and then with a synthetic tarp (not canvas) for tie down. All this under Pine trees.

Of course, these are not "hay", but maybe there is some info of use to you.

/ Tell me about hay tarps #5  
That is for silage not hay.
We have a hay shed but managed to lose some bales at the bottom due to moisture, we now put down wooden pallets and stack 12 high, we don't use that much hay but we have not lost any of the bottom ones since doing this.
One thing I have found is that snakes love getting in the stack and are quite lively in the middle of winter, don't know if you have the same problem with much colder winters.

Sorry, looks like I almost repeated post #3.

/ Tell me about hay tarps #6  
We seldom see a snake in winter down here in SC. If Super55 is bothered with winter snakes up in Michigan, I want to know what kind they are.

/ Tell me about hay tarps
I figured I might have some hay lose from the bottom of the bales on the ground from moisture uptake. Was planning on grading it out and then laying some weed barrier topped with a couple inches of washed gravel. Then stack the hay in the typical trianglular shape to assist in water runoff.

Last fall I stacked the hay on cedar posts over bare dirt and covered with plastic sheeting. I did get some condensation on the outer parts of the bales but not enough to cause mold or spoilage. Horses didn't seem to mind.

Where the hay is stacked it gets a pretty constant breeze but I tarped it right down to the dirt too keep it from lifting away. Thinking if I go with a smaller sized tarp to allow more air movement I could minimize just about all moisture from condensation hopefully.

/ Tell me about hay tarps #8  
Don't do hay but have often seen billboard tarps used. Some get them free locally. But recently I've seen them being sold by repurposedmaterialsinc.com.
14'x48' for $115 w/ free shipping.
fabric-billboardvinyl14x48-pkg.jpg

/ Tell me about hay tarps #9  
We seldom see a snake in winter down here in SC. If Super55 is bothered with winter snakes up in Michigan, I want to know what kind they are.

The centre of the stack is quite warm and the snakes chase the rodents, outside of that we don't see any until late spring just inside the haystacks, I discovered this on a cold day (relative to our temps) when I pulled a couple of bales out for the horses and had a large tiger make some threatening movements towards me.

/ Tell me about hay tarps #10  
The centre of the stack is quite warm and the snakes chase the rodents, outside of that we don't see any until late spring just inside the haystacks, I discovered this on a cold day (relative to our temps) when I pulled a couple of bales out for the horses and had a large tiger make some threatening movements towards me.

There was something on TV here, a while back, about all of the poisonous critters you guys have in Australia. Good luck!!!