Tell me about the NH TD5050

Hill Farmer

Silver Member
Tractor
Belarus 825, for now.
Love them, hate them, anyone own one with some hours that can give me a heads up about these tractors?
Ran across a 2011, low hours, 2 remotes, air ride seat, and NH 820 loader priced to me at $37,500. Any idea if that's a good price? I think it is, but I don't know what a new one would sell for. I'll be using it on 160 acres of rough hill ground mowing, moving hay, etc. I stopped to look at the Powerstar 4.75, but I'm afraid it will be a little on the light side for me. Super nice cab though. I have not actually seen the TD5050 as they had it just taken it in on trade then loaned it out to a farmer getting his tractor worked on. Is the TD line more of a " base " line without a lot of extras?

ironpen

Gold Member
Tractor
tn75s, tc33d, mc35, gt65, 6640, 3010s, TS110, TS115, TN70, Massey 5470, Kubota F2690
Is it 2wd or 4wd? What transmission does it have? I looked at one a couple of years ago and my dealer indicated it was more of a "base" tractor as you describe it. I liked it and they were asking 34k new without a loader unless my mind is slipping. I think the asking price is a little high esp. if it is 2wd. I was looking at a 4wd machine. It is definitely heavier than the t4.75 as you suggested.

OP
H

Hill Farmer

Silver Member
Tractor
Belarus 825, for now.
Knew I forgot something. It's 4 wheel drive. 12 speed tranny, 3 ranges, 4 gears in each range are synced. Shuttle is on left side of seat.

OP
H

Hill Farmer

Silver Member
Tractor
Belarus 825, for now.
Not many replies, guess it's not a popular choice on TBN.

kf4uda

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800
Hill Farmer, I have the 5050's little brother, a TD5030. It is a 75hp machine vs the TD5050 at around 95hp I think. My tractor is an open station, 4WD with a 12x12 mechanical shuttle tranny. I do not have a loader on it at this time but I am thinking about adding one. I purchased the tractor new in 2010 and have about 310 hours on it now. I had a clutch go out of it during warranty. The dealer came and picked it up, replaced the complete clutch assembly in it, brought it back and apologized for my inconvenience. I have had no other problems.

Like you I maintain property with a lot of hills. I use it with a 10ft semi-mount rotary cutter (Bush hog 3210) and it does very well on the hills. I have looked at a T4.75. While they are nice tractors, they are not built as heavy as the TD series tractors. I believe that you would be happy with the TD5050 if you are looking for a good heavy built tractor without all the electronics.

OP
H

Hill Farmer

Silver Member
Tractor
Belarus 825, for now.
Thanks for the reply. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just something dependable, good cold air, and a comfortable seat. Quiet and dust free would be a plus too.

I guess I mostly wanted to know if this is a tractor model that has known issues, or one that is fairly bullet proof.
Wonder why your clutch had problems with so few hours? I assume these would be a dry clutch being mechanical, anyone know if the brakes are wet or dry? Good brakes would be handy on the hills. Not sure we've ever owned a tractor with good brakes. :)

kf4uda

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800
Brakes are wet disc. They work very well. Clutch problem was odd. My dealer had never had to split a TD at that time. They had to make some adapters for their stands. I was just glad it happened on NH's dime and not mine. :)