Tell me about your Case/Ingersoll garden tractor

/ Tell me about your Case/Ingersoll garden tractor #1  

super55

Platinum Member
Tractor
Oliver Super55, John Deere 4310, John Deere 4400, Kubota L2500 (had),
I just recently purchased a Case 446 16hp Onan with a blower, mower and tiller. I've watched vids of them on youtube and from what I can gather they look like pretty rugged machines. One of the big selling points for me was the larger rear tires for a smoother ride on uneven terrain.

Looking for peoples experiences and advices they may have such as needing to add anti-scalp wheels, how top heavy they are on sidehills, difficulty changing implements and such. I know they have their own forum but I'm not a member of it yet so I thought I would thought I would check here if anyone has or had owned a Case/ingersoll and what they liked and didn't like about it.

/ Tell me about your Case/Ingersoll garden tractor #2  
I owned a 1976 446 model. It was a great little tractor and gave a great cut, even better than the Kubota BX2200 that I replaced it with. They're really simple with the hydraulic drive. The only issue I kept having on mine was the PTO clutch for engaging the mower. Later models had a design change that apparently was improved and can maybe be retrofitted to the older units. They may be hard to find, but they made a number of hydraulic implements for them, including a tiller and a log splitter. The log splitter was unique that the wedge moved back and forth with fixed anvils, allowing it to split in the extend and return strokes. they have a pretty big following and there's a great yahoo users group that you should join. If you ever decide to part yours out, you'll probably get more for the parts than you originally paid for it.

/ Tell me about your Case/Ingersoll garden tractor #3  
I just recently purchased a Case 446 16hp Onan with a blower, mower and tiller. I've watched vids of them on youtube and from what I can gather they look like pretty rugged machines. One of the big selling points for me was the larger rear tires for a smoother ride on uneven terrain.

Looking for peoples experiences and advices they may have such as needing to add anti-scalp wheels, how top heavy they are on sidehills, difficulty changing implements and such. I know they have their own forum but I'm not a member of it yet so I thought I would thought I would check here if anyone has or had owned a Case/ingersoll and what they liked and didn't like about it.
We have a 1996 ingersoll 4020 with the 20 hp onan motor,power steering and 3pt. hitch.It has around 620 care free hours on it.I did add the rear wheel weights seems to help from spinning the rear tires.

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 637
  • Ford Truck 283.jpg
    Ford Truck 283.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 562
  • Ford Truck 418.jpg
    Ford Truck 418.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Ford Truck 532.jpg
    Ford Truck 532.jpg
    1,020.5 KB · Views: 365
   / Tell me about your Case/Ingersoll garden tractor #4  
I used 2 Ingersolls through the years- a 1975 444 and a 1987 448. I also found the PTO clutch located by the fan to be a weak spot-I replaced the one on the 448 twice.

They are very rugged machine. I did not feel they were top heavy. The hydraulic drive was great-we ran a log splitter off ours. I considered a new one in 2000 but the price was very close to what I paid for my Kubota BX and the technology was dated-still the fan friction PTO clutch, a mower that was not easy to mount/dismount, and the power steering was a bolt on affair.

Will

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Tell me about your Case/Ingersoll garden tractor #5  

I have had two Case 446's in the far distant past, really good machines. Just don't put hydraulic fluid in it, they run on motor oil.

If you have not seen the forum here, click this: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/case-ingersoll/

/ Tell me about your Case/Ingersoll garden tractor
I sounds like I will be happy with the machine. I was looking for something pretty rugged but not too overly expensive and had narrowed my choices down to the Case/Ingersoll or an older Gravely tractor with the rear mount motors. I used to mow a guys lawn as a kid and he had a gravely and that thing was a beast.

I do have some mild side hills that I need to mow and was thinking I would load the tires up with windshield washer fluid to help ballast the tractor and help it with traction issues. Plus this year I am planning to put a perimeter fence around our garden to keep the chickens and deer out and the JD 4310 you would spend more time turning around than tilling.

Mowing will be it's other main task. Currently I have a Ariens 2048 zero turn with a bagger that for the most part has been a great mower for the lawn. When mowing the field for a place for the kids to play not so much. The terrain is too uneven and the rear tires are too small so you get beat to bits unless you are going at a slow speed.

Thanks for the link x-fax. That should get me some good reading material.

/ Tell me about your Case/Ingersoll garden tractor #7  
I sounds like I will be happy with the machine. I was looking for something pretty rugged but not too overly expensive and had narrowed my choices down to the Case/Ingersoll or an older Gravely tractor with the rear mount motors. I used to mow a guys lawn as a kid and he had a gravely and that thing was a beast.

I do have some mild side hills that I need to mow and was thinking I would load the tires up with windshield washer fluid to help ballast the tractor and help it with traction issues. Plus this year I am planning to put a perimeter fence around our garden to keep the chickens and deer out and the JD 4310 you would spend more time turning around than tilling.

Mowing will be it's other main task. Currently I have a Ariens 2048 zero turn with a bagger that for the most part has been a great mower for the lawn. When mowing the field for a place for the kids to play not so much. The terrain is too uneven and the rear tires are too small so you get beat to bits unless you are going at a slow speed.

Thanks for the link x-fax. That should get me some good reading material.

You are welcome, here is another: Hydriv.ca