Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,391  
I recently went through the USS Drum, a WW2 submarine. Powered by two stroke diesels. That itself not unusual. They had a crank on top and the bottom though. That’s unusual. The piston on the top crank meets a piston from the bottom crank and diesel fuel is injected at the right time for ignition. No cylinder head to speak of.
Those engines were Fairbanks-Morse engines, that were also used in Fairbanks-Morse locomotives.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,393  
Those engines were Fairbanks-Morse engines, that were also used in Fairbanks-Morse locomotives.
I had a Fairbanks-Morse hit and miss in the early seventies. Got it running one time and had a time stopping it. That was the only time it ran well before I traded it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,396  
The USS Haddock SS-231 1941-1960 helps power the University of Notre Dame to this day.

"was struck from the Naval Vessel Register and sold for scrap to Jacob Checkoway on 23 August 1960. Checkoway used the large stock of oil onboard the vessel to start Checkoway Oil Company,[7] and two of her four Fairbanks-Morse diesel engines are in service at the University of Notre Dame as backup generators."

IMG_2379.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #4,398  
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #4,400  
Was he wearing the ring?