Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #41  
I truly believe we are a tiny micro spot in space that is completely insignificant to the other tiny micro spots in the universe.
This book got me thinking as a kid to always look a bit closer at things...

B52195E6-5B2C-4A07-943F-B6E93E19632B.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #42  
To the nice person that said a bit earlier....
> But as infinitely large as the universe is... equally mindboggling is how small things are.

Yes it is mind boggling is how small things are but the universe is not infinitely large. It is finite in both spacial and temporal extent :)

Mike
Goes to my earlier point about how little we actually know.

We have no idea whether the universe is finite or infinite

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #44  
To the best of my knowledge , there are 3 ways to tie one of the most useful knots , ( Clove Hitch ) and those can be tied blind folded . So when star gazing it will be dark so practice then if not familiar with that knot .

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #45  
Mules are a hybrid and can not reproduce.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #46  
Electricity does not travel in wires, it travels in waves outside of them. The actual flow of electrons inside the conductor is very slow.

Quote:

“…, electrical energy does not travel though the wire as sound travels through air but instead always travels in the space outside of the wires. This is because electric energy is composed of electric and magnetic fields which are created by the moving electrons, but which exist in the space surrounding the wires.”

Mmm…that is true… for AC currents. Not so much DC.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #49  
Facts about 1/60th (sexagesimal systems):

Did you know until the 18th century, 1/60th of a second was called a "tierce" or "third"?

The reason we use angles like 30, 45, 60, 90 degrees, based on circles and globes being 360 degrees,
and why hours and minutes are divided into 60 parts,
and why coordinates are also divided up into 1/60th minutes and seconds.

… is because of the Babylonians. Actually it was passed down to them from the Sumerians who ( 5000 years ago!) had a base60 numeral (counting) system, unlike our base10 digits that we use.

60 is a “superior highly composite number”. It’s divisible by 1,2,3,4,5,6,…10,12,15,20,30,60. Thus having a base60 numbering system makes “dividing” things into 60 parts easier than 10 parts when dealing with fractions and rational numbers.

To think we’re still using the base60 accounting methods of Babylonian merchants to send satellites into space.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #50  
A watch can be used as a compass. If you point the hour hand at the sun, halfway between the hour hand and the 12 is South. Try it.

That only works in the northern hemisphere. ;)

In the southern hemisphere, you have to point the 12 at the sun. The line halfway between the 12 and the hour hand point north.