Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,171  

Sulfur is what makes farts stink.​

Ninety-nine percent of what constitutes a toot has no smell at all. It’s made up of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, hydrogen, and methane—all of which are odorless. It’s generally when sulfur makes its way into the mix, mainly via the foods you eat—think broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and dairy products—that things start to stink.

coincidentally, have you noticed what broccoli smells like when it’s cooking? Hmm... :unsure:

My wife says it’s the beer and pickled eggs!

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,172  
I used to work on high voltage power supplies.
1000-50,000 volts, low current.
We could watch the arc on these through air and every now and then got zapped.

There is of course a law for electricity jumping the gap in a "gas" Paschen's law.
I was modeling a 150 kW transmission line against a Paschen's curve just yesterday, but with the added wrinkle of it being a high frequency. The original Paschen curve is a DC model, and it transforms with frequency.

I might have some questions for you on hi-pot testers at some point soon, if you don't mind. Some of my current projects are at power levels beyond which I can directly test, so I'll likely have to resort to DC hi-pot over high-frequency testing. Might be looking for a low-cost variable tester in the 10 kV neighborhood.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,173  
When I was in AV-Tech at Purdue, the most fun was leaving a nice big electrolytic capacitor with the leads folded over the body so you had to touch them to pick it up, charged with 100 volts or so, laying out on the bench at a lab station. The next class usually had some sucker that picked it up and got zapped. We also hooked a couple up to power supplies with the polarity reversed, wit the voltage low enough that it would take a wile for it to pop. Instructors frowned on the practices, especially after a couple of them fell prey to them too.
You ever make the hot dog cookers with nails and a 120v power cord?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,174  
You ever make the hot dog cookers with nails and a 120v power cord?
Not aimed at me, but I have built microwave amplifier systems that can (and have) cooked internal organs from more than 500 feet distance.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,176  
lol... I meant MossRoad's question wasn't aimed at me!

But the one death of which I'm aware due to one of my products, which are ironically designed and used specifically for the purpose of saving lives, occurred at an air base in the UK. Big log periodic fixed antenna about 300 feet tall aimed down at an asphalt test range of maybe 3 acres size, where they'd arrange groups of planes, tanks, missiles... whatever, to blast with high-power radiation and look for potential vulnerabilities in their electronics. This is aimed at ensuring planes and missiles don't go "boom" or fall out of the sky when they fly past a radar tower, as well as hardening to vulnerabilities related to EMP's and nuclear blasts.

Teens had been sneaking onto the base in off-hours, using some of the large test sites for parties, skate boarding, and basketball, among other things. A third-party contractor was hired to run chain link fence around the area to keep them out, which due to the typical issue of one department not understanding the needs of another, interfered with the high power antennae on the test site. They were actually making lightning along the top of the fence, per the reference to Paschen's law from kenmbz above, as well as causing the amplifier to malfunction due to unusually high reflected power.

The story I was told is that a worker was sent out to cut down part of the fence, and due to a lack of (or perhaps illegal bypass of) various safety interlocks and protocols, the RF amplifier got powered up while the guy was out on the range. I'm not sure he even knew he was being cooked, as their test frequencies from that amp can pass thru the skin and attack mostly high-density organs (i.e. liver, testes, etc.), but it ultimately resulted in his death.

There have surely been countless other similar injuries, the details of which only a few of ever make it back to me, as I'm only designing the high power amplifiers and components, not the overall site plan or management. Accidents and injuries during testing happen, but are much less common when I'm running into a dummy load, than when the customer is lighting up the air with an antenna or field generator. Two I recall well was my mentor cooking his arm, which he never felt and we only detected by the smell of cooking chicken in the room, and another leaning on a directional coupler when it exploded violently.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #2,177  
I was getting several MRIs or CAT or CT or something or other scans on my spine and somewhere during the session the technician asked how I was doing. I said something like "I'm OK but it's getting uncomfortably hot in my body." To which the tech replied something like "OMG why didn't you tell me?"

Like I'm supposed to know that they're cooking my insides. It wasn't in the pre-game meeting for me to tell them how I felt while stuffed in the little tube. 🙃

From the discussion afterwards, I guess they have to turn up the power to scan all the way through your spine. I'd had numerous scans on my head that never were uncomfortable. Kinda makes you wonder how many folks they fry each year.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,178  
When I was in my 20's I worked on radar systems.
One of the big shipboard type radars was going into test and they had an older antenna on the buildings roof.
They turned it on and on the first spin the TWT (think big light stadium sized bulb but it is the power source for the radar) blows up, they were very expensive , in the thousands even back then.
They go through the whole system, tweak some stuff and try another run and boom, blow another tube.

This area of the roof was inaccessible by stairs, so they send us younger lighter guys up a 40' ladder to investigate.

Turns out at some point another AC unit had been put on the roof about 20' away from the dish, but close enough to feed quite a bit of power back into the circuit.

That AC unit had to be moved, at quite a cost. Seems it had been done the previous year and no one had checked around the dish before use.

And I would not recommend climbing a 40' fiberglass one piece ladder at a 45 degree angle. That was nice and bouncy.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #2,179  
I was getting several MRIs or CAT or CT or something or other scans on my spine and somewhere during the session the technician asked how I was doing. I said something like "I'm OK but it's getting uncomfortably hot in my body." To which the tech replied something like "OMG why didn't you tell me?"

Like I'm supposed to know that they're cooking my insides. It wasn't in the pre-game meeting for me to tell them how I felt while stuffed in the little tube. 🙃

From the discussion afterwards, I guess they have to turn up the power to scan all the way through your spine. I'd had numerous scans on my head that never were uncomfortable. Kinda makes you wonder how many folks they fry each year.
Maybe they could stick a meat thermometer in you "somewhere" to tell when you're done?