Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,551  
We've had a Phillips bread maker for quite a few years. Makes great breads, but they are heavy breads. Not light and fluffy like store-bought. Not what I want for a sandwich.

Anyone know a good bread machine recipe for sandwich bread?

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,552  
We've had a Phillips bread maker for quite a few years. Makes great breads, but they are heavy breads. Not light and fluffy like store-bought. Not what I want for a sandwich.

Anyone know a good bread machine recipe for sandwich bread?
The Zojirushi came with a recipe book, most calls for wheat gluten which my very limited understanding is it makes bread lighter and softer. Wife didn't like that idea and doesn't add it.
This is funny (sort of) but ties in with things most people don't know. Here's the old food pyramid showing 8-11 servings of bread a DAY. So this 300# friend bought a bread machine and ate a loaf every day! He shot up to over 400# before realizing the pyramid must be wrong! Now he's back down to 280, not too bad at 6'5".
2023_03_09_19.23.40.jpg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,553  
That's the reason I leave our bread machine put up on the shelf.
A loaf of fresh bread, a stick of butter, that little loaf is gone before it gets a chance to cool off.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,554  
That's the reason I leave our bread machine put up on the shelf.
A loaf of fresh bread, a stick of butter, that little loaf is gone before it gets a chance to cool off.
Yup, ours is in the cupboard above the fridge

I'll pull it out around the holidays to make some English muffin bread to go with breakfast. But after a loaf or two, it goes back in the cupboard.

My waste line thanks me

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,555  
Even our failures, after we figured out the yeast rise thingy, home made, are better than store bought breads. Cause, you can do a great deal more with it.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,556  
Curiously, how do you roll out the dough? I've read you're not supposed to use a rolling pin for pizza dough, but that's the only way I can get it to stay stretched out. Never was able to master the trick of tossing it in the air.
I forgo all of that, and make a deep dish pizza spreading the dough out in a 9x12" cake pan. I also did the same for a few times on a 15" pizza pan.
Even our failures, after we figured out the yeast rise thingy, home made, are better than store bought breads. Cause, you can do a great deal more with it.
It's been a few years since I made bread, but never found that it would store very well. Most of the first loaf was gone before it got a chance to cool, and the second loaf didn't seem to last more than a day. :p It might have worked out better if not for the pound of dairy butter I always keep in the fridge... and the jar of honey in the cupboard.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,557  
Curiously, how do you roll out the dough? I've read you're not supposed to use a rolling pin for pizza dough, but that's the only way I can get it to stay stretched out. Never was able to master the trick of tossing it in the air.
Like this?

IMG_8168.JPG

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,558  
I simply spread the dough by hand. Put your fingers together, press the dough, opening your fingers as you go. Not always a perfect circle, but it's quick and simple.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,559  
On the subject of bread, I understand that a common complaint of the WWII German POW’s kept in the US was the bread they were served. Tasteless white bread that we had grown accustomed to. I get that.

Members of the German military were interned as prisoners of war in the United States during World War I and World War II. In all, 425,000 German prisoners lived in 700 camps throughout the United States during World War II.

Locations of major internment camps June 1944 (Wikipedia):

1678460597867.png

Last edited: