Tell us something we don’t know.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,771  
I remember watching this video over 10 years ago. 3,000 hp Merlin V-12 in a 55 Chevy.
I see where it sold for $200k in 2012. It couldn't have been that fast, I'd hate to imagine what it weighs.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,772  
That is NUTS (y) I had a 1955 210 sedan in high school. Purchased for $250. Sold for the same money a few years later.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,773  
The Hydro Plane Miss Budweiser owned and raced by Bernie Little had a Rolls-Royce Merlin Engine.

1679844870261.jpeg

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,774  
I always liked the Allison's
1679848001040.png

1679848044985.png

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,776  
The car make and model with the highest production numbers is the Toyota Corolla. As of 2021, over 50 million Toyota Corollas have been sold since its introduction in 1966, making it the best-selling car of all time.

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,778  

Bruce

/ Tell us something we don’t know. #3,779  
I built an rc scale model of the P-82 twin mustang. Nitro engines. I flew it once, then my rc interest in general started to wain and I never got back to it. The first prototype test flight (full scale) would not get off the ground. Ends up the prop rotations needed to be reversed, possibly because the prop wash over the center wing wasn't something encountered before and was preventing lift. They switched the prop transmissions side for side, then it flew. A P-82 is claimed to have shot down the first 3 enemy aircraft in the Korean war.

0327230132a.jpg
I also have a 1/4 scale kit for a F7F Tigercat (that still remains in the box). It was one of the last in the series of "Grumman cats". It was originally designed for carrier landings, but structural and control issues prevented that until the war was nearly over. Also, during test flights, the required flat spin test couldn't be completed due to the heavy engines and relatively small tail surface. Changes to later versions included a larger tail surface, yet still several crashs occurred due to uncontrolled flat spins.

Last edited:
   / Tell us something we don’t know. #3,780  
Speaking of high-HP aircraft engines, I've never looked at what powers them, but the larger med-evac helicopters that come over our house seem to be packing some serious power. I lived previously just up the road from a place that retrofitted Chinook helicopters for heavy-lift applications (eg. bridge building), and even those monsters didn't seem to shake the house as bad as these newer med-evac machines, although that might have as much to do with how hard they're leaning on the throttle, as anything else.

There's a park adjacent to my house, which happens to be one of the local med-evac sites, meaning that's where they cart the patient by ambulance, for helicopter pickup when there's an accident on any nearby road. Only happens maybe once per month, but those helicopters come in low and fast when it does, and take off under full throttle, heading off to the bigger Philly or Lehigh Valley trauma centers.