Temperature gauge pegs out

/ Temperature gauge pegs out #1  

CMHigdon

Tractor
none yet
We have a Branson 2500. I was mowing the pasture, and the temp gauge was running in it's normal position. I glance down periodically while mowing, and I saw that it was pegged out in the red. I immediately shut everything down and moved to the shade. I checked for blockage/dust, and there was a little that I cleaned off. Went in and ate lunch to give it time to cool down. We checked the air filter, and coolant. We went ahead and replaced the air filter, because it was dirty, and it was time to replace it anyway. Started it up next day, and it stayed on cold. Started to mow and glanced down at the temp gauge, and it was pegged out on hot again. I hadn't even been mowing for 3 minutes.

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks for any help.

/ Temperature gauge pegs out #4  
Another possible issue is radiator is clogged although you stated you cleared. Sometimes it is difficult to tell. Use a flashlight and shine through the fins. If the light can not pass through it needs to be cleaned.

/ Temperature gauge pegs out #5  
I agree with K5 and I'll add, check the coolant at the radiator (with the engine cold so you don't burn yourself). Don't rely solely on the overflow tank.

If the level is below the temperature sending unit, it can give erratic readings.

Can you tell if the engine is actually overheating? Could also be a bad sending unit or just the connection. Or even the plug on the back of the dashboard.

/ Temperature gauge pegs out #7  
A faulty sending unit is easy to check...and a likely suspect...!

/ Temperature gauge pegs out
Thanks for the replies. We brought it to the house, cleaned the radiator again with air - a little dust blew out. Flushed/changed coolant just to see what it looked like - it was very clean. Started it up, and the gauge rode at cool for a few minutes. Then the needle jumped to hot. It went back and forth with no pattern. Radiator/hose cool to the touch. It went back to cool and rose slowly (as normal), and radiator/hose getting warmer for several minutes, then jumped to hot. Doesn't seem to be any trigger for the jump.

/ Temperature gauge pegs out
That is a pretty good list, have we checked coolant level?
It was good, but we went ahead and drained/flushed/replaced it. It looked fine.