Texas Fall/Winter thread!

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Well figured I'd start one to cover the up coming cool down:D Especially since every one on TBN, except maybe 3, are Texans:laughing: If your one of those "3", please post all ya want:thumbsup:

I did hear on the news that Cities in North Dallas have gone to stage 3 water restrictions, that's water the yard 2 times a month! They're saying probably going to stage 4 by Spring!!:(

I guess the close to 7" over the last month has done little to build up our reserves.

As usual, deer season will likely be warm, after a cool front blows through Wednesday, warm weekend then rain Monday and Tuesday. We'll see.

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
In central Texas all we have is perfect (60-80 degrees) weather with no moister. That last 1 1/2" rain we had over a month ago was it for the summer. My "Frog" pond clean out project is complete. I'll post a before/after picture tonight on this thread tonight. I even planted rye grass to stop the erosion if it ever rains. Cold front will be down here Thursday and we have 20% rain prediction.

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
Local news stated this morning that the drought conditions are expected to last another year. Thats going to be tough to handle.

houstonscott

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800, Kubota GR2120, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota 5100sc
Once that high pressure system that was over Texas all summer moved off it seems to me our weather has turned to normal for this time of year. While this doesn't mean we will recover the lost rain totals I see no reason why normal rain falls would not be in our future. I understand the public water utilities have to plan for the worst I myself am not worried.

HS

Last edited:

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
Cold front will be down here Thursday and we have 20% rain prediction.

You should go down to Paige and see if you can wring a better forecast out of that retired weatherman who lives down there.;)

Every rain storm we get, I look at central TX to see if there's any rain there. While our rains up here have normalized for fall, yours are continuing to be drought conditions. I hope things change for you soon. The only critters who seem to like it dry are snakes, mice, and fire ants.:mad:

Edit: Oh yes! ...and grasshoppers.

Bird

Epic Contributor
I did hear on the news that Cities in North Dallas have gone to stage 3 water restrictions, that's water the yard 2 times a month! They're saying probably going to stage 4 by Spring!!

I'm surprised that Corinth is still in Stage 1, which actually means no restrictions, just a request for voluntary conservation.

OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
I haven't kept up with our lake levels, they where down severely, not sure which ones the cities draw from though.

Last I heard we where only about at an 8" deficit, of course it was more over the summer.

Should get our first freeze Thursday night at least at my place, did the wood splitting thing yesterday, man I need to get a gas powered splitter!

Larry Caldwell

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota l3130
You guys need to jack the Canadians up to share some of that arctic air. We pushed plenty of Pacific storms across the continent last winter, but they busted right through the northern states because the Canadians were so chintzy with their arctic ridges.

Same deal with that bathtub you call a Gulf. It puts out plenty of moisture, but it takes a cold snap to ripen it into a rain crop.

Maybe you need to occupy Ottowa. :D

Or Saskatoon. :D :D

OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
You guys need to jack the Canadians up to share some of that arctic air. We pushed plenty of Pacific storms across the continent last winter, but they busted right through the northern states because the Canadians were so chintzy with their arctic ridges.

Same deal with that bathtub you call a Gulf. It puts out plenty of moisture, but it takes a cold snap to ripen it into a rain crop.

Maybe you need to occupy Ottowa. :D
Or Saskatoon. :D :D

:laughing: Right!! The high pressure has been the biggest factor, keeps pushing the gulf moisture SW and the jet stream from your way North

Bird

Epic Contributor
I haven't kept up with our lake levels, they where down severely, not sure which ones the cities draw from though.

Last I heard we where only about at an 8" deficit, of course it was more over the summer.

Should get our first freeze Thursday night at least at my place, did the wood splitting thing yesterday, man I need to get a gas powered splitter!

I saw something in the news a couple of days ago that we have about a 10" deficit, but I think that was for the state as a whole instead of any particular area.

Our water comes from Lake Lewisville and it is supposedly about 6.74' low right now.

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
When I saw the news piece about the stage 3 restrictions, it made me wonder if the recent rains and cooler temperatures made city officials think that people didn't need to water as much? Of course, that's giving a lot of credit to cities' bureaucracies that they might not deserve.:rolleyes:

OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Bird, from what I understand that is probably our local deficit, I think further South and West are even worse.

Jim, Channel 4 said it was the current conditions combined with the El nino weather pattern foretasted through the Spring, but from where I sit, it "seems" better now then 2 months ago, but then again for now, I'm on a well.

One of the ladies my wife works with said her water bill has been over $600 in Mineral Wells with the added surcharges from the city for having to buy water from the NTXWD (?), I almost fell over when she told me that!

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
One of the ladies my wife works with said her water bill has been over $600 in Mineral Wells with the added surcharges from the city for having to buy water from the NTXWD (?), I almost fell over when she told me that!

Our October electric bill was $158. Of course, that includes electricity for our water and sewer system, two refrigerators, deep freezer, electric dryer, etc. Our garbage is $1 per bag dropoff at the Wise Co. collection sta. once per week. I cannot imagine what it would be like to have a $600 water bill and still have to pay electric on top of that.:(

Bird

Epic Contributor
If I got a $600 water bill, I'd not only quit watering the yard, I might have to quit drinking water.;)

OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
My wife was talking to the lady on the phone when I read you guy's post, so I ask her again what she was paying for city water, the bill for Oct she say's is $400 and change!! but was over $600 through the heat of summer. I think I would be looking at putting in a well if the city would allow it, that is just insane. How much could Ft Worths water cost?? man alive.

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
Almost had to turn on the AC today. Here are a couple of pics of my latest tractor work with the FEL and BH. This pond was very dusty to work on. I had to put the tooth-bar on the bucket to get the clay out of the bottom. I used the clay and sand I got out to raise the road that leads to the pond. Over the years between the wind and the rain was about a foot lower than the field.

In front of the fault line it is black land (first pond on Texas heat thread) and behind the fault line it is powder sand. (this pond)

Attachments

• frog pond before.jpg
    frog pond before.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 376
  • frog pond after.jpg
    frog pond after.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 343
  • frog pond before2.jpg
    frog pond before2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 322
  • frog pon after 2.jpg
    frog pon after 2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 351

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
No Ron, between the pool, the a/c shack-in-the-back, and the 90 days of over 100 degrees (some 112). our highest summer electric bill was $160.:D

This morning 49 degrees!

Attachments

• walls1.jpg
    walls1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 326

Bird

Epic Contributor
Almost had to turn on the AC today.

Almost? Two days in a row we used both heating and cooling at different times of day.:laughing:

No Ron, between the pool, the a/c shack-in-the-back, and the 90 days of over 100 degrees (some 112). our highest summer electric bill was $160.:D

This morning 49 degrees!

40 degrees here this morning with 32 forecast for tonight.

And I wish our electric bills were that low. Our average for the year has been $208. Of course our house is total electric, with several months of $250 to $270.

OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
In front of the fault line it is black land (first pond on Texas heat thread) and behind the fault line it is powder sand. (this pond)

Don, that "white" looking sand looks almost like beach sand! If you had enough you might could sell it to your local golf course!

Almost? Two days in a row we used both heating and cooling at different times of day.:laughing:

Ditto for us yesterday, I think we hit 77* prior to the front blowing through, had another tree blow over and hit the kitchen exterior wall, thank goodness it was a glancing blow and no damage. I think the winds gusted more than the 30mph they where talking about.

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
I think the winds gusted more than the 30mph they where talking about.

I'm sure there were some gusts here that were between 45 and 50. My trees were whipping around and I expected to see branches down, but the gusts seemed to hit and subside pretty quickly. When they hit, it was like a slap in the face; no slow or gradual build-up. One second it was quiet and the next it went WOOSH! Very strange. . . . My temp gage said 36.5 degrees here this morning. I think it may be time to go pick all my green tomatoes.:(

Bird

Epic Contributor
I'm sure there were some gusts here that were between 45 and 50.

We knew it was windy. The NWS shows Denton's highest gust at 47 so I'm sure you're right.

OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
I almost forgot another "event" that happened last night, until I went out to feed the dogs!:laughing:

Heard the dogs barking around 1am, I look outside and they had a big skunk cornered in the yard, yep you guessed it, sprayed them both:laughing: They looked embarrassed when I went out today. I did shoot the skunk and was surprised how big he was. Coffee can for reference.
1103111624.jpg

ronjhall

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota 2910 HST

This morning 49 degrees!
Won't be long and you will have to collect some wood for the stove. One thing about the drought is the wood will be dry. :thumbsup:

NativeSon

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040SU 2010
38* this morning but the wind has died down. Looks like it's going to be a nice day. A/C and heat have been off now for several days.....I love that.

Charlie

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
26.6 here NW of Dallas, and it may drop another degree just before the sun peeks up. Brrr!

Bird

Epic Contributor
38* this morning but the wind has died down. Looks like it's going to be a nice day. A/C and heat have been off now for several days.....I love that.

Charlie

My wife would either leave or run me off if I turned the heat off.:laughing: NWS shows Denton at 28 degrees and I just went out back with my infrared thermometer and got 26 to 33 degrees depending on what I aimed it at. But the forecast is for 63 today.

OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
I got in at 2am this morning and it was 31*, I'm sure it got colder towards daybreak as Jim suggested. At least at work the wind was basically non-existent or I'd have been a popsicle.

OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Well, it's the opener for general hunting season, only 39* at the house this morning. Coffee seems extra good too, like I posted in the "good Morning" thread, I'll probably get in my blind and fall asleep:D

Had a nice buck chasing the does around the back yard last evening where I have been hand throwing corn, he wouldn't get closer than 50 yards to the house and it almost seemed the does knew it. You could tell it was driving him nuts!

CowboyRon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4025
Western said:
Well figured I'd start one to cover the up coming cool down:D Especially since every one on TBN, except maybe 3, are Texans:laughing: If your one of those "3", please post all ya want:thumbsup:

I did hear on the news that Cities in North Dallas have gone to stage 3 water restrictions, that's water the yard 2 times a month! They're saying probably going to stage 4 by Spring!!:(

I guess the close to 7" over the last month has done little to build up our reserves.

As usual, deer season will likely be warm, after a cool front blows through Wednesday, warm weekend then rain Monday and Tuesday. We'll see.

The new water restrictions are due to the zebra muscles in lake reconsider. We cannot use that water now.

CowboyRon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4025
CowboyRon said:
The new water restrictions are due to the zebra muscles in lake reconsider. We cannot use that water now.

Sorry, lake texoma

blueriver

Tractor
It appears as if water wars are going to become serious ... something I heard while in the tractor about the Choctaw and Chickasaw Nations and a law suit over water rights ... I didn't catch it all.

WM75Guy

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 75, NH TC40DA

Autoseason thermostats are great. Mine are set at 68 and 72, below 68 heat kicks on, above 72, AC kicks on. No longer have to get out of bed when the wife says it's hot or it's cold.

Bird

Epic Contributor

Autoseason thermostats are great. Mine are set at 68 and 72, below 68 heat kicks on, above 72, AC kicks on. No longer have to get out of bed when the wife says it's hot or it's cold.

That does sound good, but we don't have one of those. And the older we get the colder natured my wife gets.:laughing: So all summer, we left it on cooling and 78 degrees. Of course we use ceiling fans a great deal. I lower the thermostat to 75 for heating.

OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Our ac controller will do that, but we haven't used it.

Actually got up to 82! was supposed to be cloudy but burned off and got plenty warm. Deer where actually on the move though.

pacerron

Veteran Member
Tractor
CNH 4020
I lower the thermostat to 75 for heating.

Bird,
Do you use a humidifier in the winter down there?
We have heat pumps with circulated air handlers
and the air inside the house really gets dry after awhile. The humidifier
lets us feel just as warm with the thermostat set about 4 degrees lower.
Cuts out the static schock too.
Ron

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
Ron, in the winter we use a dehumidifier in central Texas. The one or two days when a dry norther blows is the only time the air is really dry.

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
Dennis, I can almost smell that skunk here on my monitor.:eek:

Thought we might get a small spritz of rain today but to no avail.:mad:

Even my pond is at it's all time low (since we've owned this place). Wish I could drain it and do what Don did.

pacerron

Veteran Member
Tractor
CNH 4020
Ron, in the winter we use a dehumidifier in central Texas. The one or two days when a dry norther blows is the only time the air is really dry.

So you must not have to heat the air inside your homes constantly and can enjoy the great feeling of having the windows open often to get fresh air.
Not so up here; we go for months having to recirculate the same old air and dry it out, unless we humidify, to the tune of a $500 to $600 a month electric bill in January and February.

OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Dennis, I can almost smell that skunk here on my monitor.:eek:

Thought we might get a small spritz of rain today but to no avail.:mad:

Even my pond is at it's all time low (since we've owned this place). Wish I could drain it and do what Don did.

Kyle, yeah he still stinks even after the buzzards cleaned him.

My pond actually went dry, I dug in it for 2 day's, then is got hard as concrete. Last month I ended up with around 4" of water after the 7" of rain that month:thumbsup:

My pond is little, and fairly new. Don's was a "renovation":laughing:

Bird

Epic Contributor
We use neither humidifier nor dehumidifier. We do occasionally open windows in the Spring and Fall, but pretty rarely.

And that 40% last night and 80% chance of rain today forecast has now backed down to 20% today and no rain so far.

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
Bird, I watched the line of storms last night about 25 miles from me. They just sat out there and never moved this way. It looked like the normal dry line that moves across, but it just sat in one place. Some folks half way between me and Wichita Falls got a good shower last night. The computer models show us getting hammered tonight, but I know better than to treat those as anything but science fiction.:rolleyes: It sure is warm here this morning at 66.2 degrees; very balmy day.

OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
2 days I've been waiting on the rain "they" said would be here! Maybe early morning, sure could use a little on my oats.

Bird

Epic Contributor
Yeah, they kept backing down from the earlier forecasts, but now we're getting a little light rain; looks like the heavy stuff is south of us at about the Dallas and Tarrant County lines. Don't know if it'll get up here or not, but we're also under a tornado watch until 1 a.m.

OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Bird, I saw you might get a little, looked like Jim may have also. Looking like this morning we may have some hard rain, possible some nasty storms. Big old nasty one building West of us.

Bird

Epic Contributor
I think I got about .42" last night and it's sprinkling again this morning.

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
Lots of rain this morning starting just before 6 AM, with no bad side-effects. I have 3/4" so far and expect it to rise above 1" as other pockets of rain move across.

NativeSon

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040SU 2010
No rain yet but it's coming. Hot(70)& Muggy this morning. I sure hope we get some much need rain.

Charlie

blueriver

Tractor
Lots of rain this morning starting just before 6 AM, with no bad side-effects. I have 3/4" so far and expect it to rise above 1" as other pockets of rain move across.

this mornings event left me with 2 and 2/10ths and radar shows more light rain coming yet today ... did you see the news where Sulpur Oklahoma Sunday night got 9" ... I know its a Texas Fall/Winter Thread.

Bird

Epic Contributor
I think it's over here and I only got about 0.42" last night and maybe 0.02" this morning. But I'm sure thankful for even that much.