Texas Fall/Winter thread!

Lou66

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 990/Montana 5740
I was sitting on a wood floor, on a cushion, watching Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans on our black and white TV.
hugs, Brandi

How could you be setting on the floor in 61,:confused:, When you wasn't born till 83.:cool:. Something don't sound right.:anyone::).Lou

farmgirl19

Tractor
1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery
:laughing:Let's see . . . that day I would have just been getting home from work, since I got off at midnight. No receipts though because I couldn't afford to buy anything.:laughing:

Honestly, I was not born before that date! :D

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
How could you be setting on the floor in 61,:confused:, When you wasn't born till 83.:cool:. Something don't sound right.:anyone::).Lou

I was sittin' on the floor in '61, and I'll testify in a court of law that I didn't see her anywhere. Dancing Bear, Bunny Rabbit, and Mr. Moose will back up my story.:D

#2,056  
OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
That must have been along commute Bird.. :D.. Lou

Yeah BIRD, and you would have had a fuel receipt for a drive that long!!

Hero pilots that truly deserve the "Superman T" Would be combat pilots, especially the WW11 bomber crews. Commercial pilots now a days, aren't much more than a city bus driver with a better check!!??:shocked::laughing: That is if the planes are too easy to fly these day's as y'all have said

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
Commercial pilots now a days, aren't much more than a city bus driver with a better check!!??:shocked::laughing: That is if the planes are too easy to fly these day's as y'all have said

Pilots are not rated on how well they fly a working plane, but what they do when things quit working, like Capt. Sully.

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
Brandi, corporate jet pilots are more often in the possession of a plunger in their hand that a red "S" on their chest. If they are lucky enough to work in a flight department that has a mechanic, they are held in slightly higher esteem. These guys are the ones that have to kiss backsides on the execs in the cabin and make sure the bar is well stocked before the flight. When they take a job as an instructor-pilot, they exchange their red cape for a chance to go home every night. Most of them never had a red cape or even know what one looks like anyhow. They are so used to being everything from maid to magician that it is sometimes hard for them to realize they don't have to do everything when they walk into the door of the training center. It would be hard for anybody to do that. However, once you establish that you are on their side and a partner they can rely on, things get easier. Unfortunately, when they are selected to be a Subject Matter Expert (SME), they have never had any training in their roles. Nobody teaches them anything about writing, proofreading, or how to do editing marks. Graphics terminology is also foreign to them, but they don't want to admit that they don't know these things. We have to explain that nobody expects SME to stand for Smartest Man on Earth. Once their roles are defined and they know you won't embarrass them, they treat you as a member of their team.
Jim,
Hehehe. I was only stirring the pot with Dennis and you. There is a huge mystic difference from corporate pilots and Airline Captains. Both groups have good and bad folks. When workers interface for the first time, usually there is a personality learning curve that usually ends in respect. New employees are held in circumspect, until you get to know them. I usually start conversations with them by saying........welcome to SWA..........where have worked before. Their answers let me know if we have common backgrounds or way difference backgrounds and how to proceed.
Dealing with any pilot, especially about flight instrucments or avionics issues, you have to know the multiple names for the various systems and parts within the pilot's world that over time, the nomenclature has changed as new systems have came out. So, lots of times, experienced mechanics ask the pilot.............so what exactly are you calling FCU? This is more widespread today with a digital cockpit compared to analog cockpits back in the day. There is an old joke about Cessna and Beechcraft labeling electrical component symbols on schematics with the answer being....................what day is it.
hugs, Brandi

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD

Well, I guess they were reruns.:laughing:;):laughing:
hugs, Brandi

Lou66

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 990/Montana 5740
Here we go boys and girls...
Welcome to the flight,,
we will fly to places you have never known..
Places you have never been..
Please set back and bucket up,,,, in case..
Our staff is trained in CPR also in GPS..
GPS only works nationwide..
Can you hear me now…
In case of emergence,,
Remember to kiss you azz good bye and lean forward with seatbelt in place..

I got a tractor it cuts grass with the proper equipment.. when it not to wet..

Good gracious my friends..
You want to know how to fly?.
Okay..
Go the Airport.. Park in the lower section.. Walk to the ticket agent counter.. Give them your credit card, , tell them where you would like to go and when you would like to come back.. They will take care of the rest.. I think they know someone in management..
Remember the steward can’t take cash for whiskey but they can take a tip if you put it in the their pocket..
They will smile and say I am not allow to take tips..
You can smile and say I know and thank you..

How many misspelled words can you find.. :laughing::laughing: Lou

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
Lou, you are rapidly becoming our Texas TBNer Coastal Poet Laureate. . . whatever that means? I can't make it too official sounding or they'll say you can't write because of the Gov't shutdown. Then we'd call you Furloughed Lou.:D

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
TIMBER.JPG

Ran over one of these last night going home. Still it managed to slither thru the bar ditch behind a barbed wire fence into some thick brush. I stopped and got out to see it closely. Mad that I had no camera, nor firearm to dispose of it with me. I figure it was about 4' long, at least 2" diameter at the thickest. I noticed its tail and how it faded to black over the last foot of its length.

farmgirl19

Tractor
Kyle; That is a pretty snake, but looks like a Ball Python in that photo. I hope that we don't have pythons on the loose in Texas. The Ball Python stays small, and would not pose as many problems as the larger pythons, but hate ot see non-native species get established in Texas, or anywhere.

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
I believe it was a timber rattler. Definitely a rattler. There have been 2 confirmed timber rattler deaths not far from where Mikim lives. This snake was on the opposite side of the county that TxDon and I live in.

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
Kyle, you do know that Timber Rattlers are a protected species in Texas, don't you? Certainly, if it had been run over, dispatching it would have been the humane thing to do, but I don't know if a game warden would see it that way.:confused3:

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
Kyle, you do know that Timber Rattlers are a protected species in Texas, don't you? Certainly, if it had been run over, dispatching it would have been the humane thing to do, but I don't know if a game warden would see it that way.:confused3:
Yes, would have to hope for a game warden with common sense if I got caught mercy killing it. My buddies at work said I should've made chili or taquitos with it.

farmgirl19

Tractor
Next time you run over one, hit your brakes so wheels drag over it, instead of roll over it. You can tell the game warden you were trying to keep from hitting it! Don't need them around here! I'm not snake phobic, and like beneficial snakes, especially King snakes, but non-native, and venomous are not welcome here!

#2,069  
OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now

Try this with the Warden:D " Mr Warden, I was driving the road looking for my new belt and low and behold there it was! a snake had it!!! I tried to get it peacefully, but a fight ensued and the snake died.....I did retrieve my belt though, so I wont fill charges"

pacerron

Veteran Member
Tractor
CNH 4020
TIMBER.JPG

Ran over one of these last night going home. Still it managed to slither thru the bar ditch behind a barbed wire fence into some thick brush. I stopped and got out to see it closely. Mad that I had no camera, nor firearm to dispose of it with me. I figure it was about 4' long, at least 2" diameter at the thickest. I noticed its tail and how it faded to black over the last foot of its length.

That image came from Marshall University in W. VA
http://muwww-new.marshall.edu/herp/images/TIMBER.JPG

Looking at their curriculum where does snake identification fit in?
Marshall University

Looks like Timber Rattlers come in various colors, or at least the folks posting to Google Images think so.:D
https://www.google.com/search?q=tim...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=-IRNUoHeAYqhiQKr0oHYAw

I have never seen one. We only have copperheads as poisonous snakes here.
Ron

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
That image came from Marshall University in W. VA
http://muwww-new.marshall.edu/herp/images/TIMBER.JPG

Looking at their curriculum where does snake identification fit in?
Marshall University

Looks like Timber Rattlers come in various colors, or at least the folks posting to Google Images think so.:D
https://www.google.com/search?q=tim...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=-IRNUoHeAYqhiQKr0oHYAw

I have never seen one. We only have copperheads as poisonous snakes here.
Ron

You are correct. It was the closest thing I could find to represent what I saw, and it was almost exactly like this.

houstonscott

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800, Kubota GR2120, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota 5100sc
Look up diamondback water snake. I think you will find a color variation that fits what you saw, and lives in Texas.

HS

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
Mike had a timber rattler on his place that committed suicide, maybe he has a picture of what the local ones look like.

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
Timber rattlers all have that light background and dark irregular rings with a tail that gets very dark toward the rattlers. Their banding pattern reminds me of what a water moccasin would look like if it were lighter. They even have the dark blaze stripe along each side of the head. Normally, a 3 foot timber rattler is very big. The official data says they grow to 40" long, so Kyle's snake must have been pretty old and well-fed.:)

two_bit_score

Texas - from the brush and pear to the piney woods
Tractor
John Deere 110 TLB, Diamond C 19LPX GN trailer
Without stating my personal view on the amendment relating to the creation of The State Water Implementation Fund, I would suggest that a brief reading of all suggested amendments and backgrounds could be beneficial in making voting decisions. In the linked document, each proposed amendment is discussed in detail along with discussion of views of those in favor and opposing the proposition. I have found this document to be extremely valuable in getting the full perspective of all the proposed amendments.

Analyses of Proposed Constitutional Amendments on the Nov 5, 2013 ballot.

:thumbsup:

#2,078  
OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Timber rattlers all have that light background and dark irregular rings with a tail that gets very dark toward the rattlers. Their banding pattern reminds me of what a water moccasin would look like if it were lighter. They even have the dark blaze stripe along each side of the head. Normally, a 3 foot timber rattler is very big. The official data says they grow to 40" long, so Kyle's snake must have been pretty old and well-fed.:)

Jim, to clarify what you said, 40" may be the average large size for a East Texas timber rattler, but they can get much bigger as you go East. I had one in the 80's we caught in Arkansas (Hot Springs) that was near 6'.

BTW, killed 4 more scorpions in the last 5 days, all in the shower, or tub!!

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
BTW, killed 4 more scorpions in the last 5 days, all in the shower, or tub!!

Our discoveries have slowed a bunch. I think we've only seen a couple in the last three weeks. However, the rain showers have brought lots of fireants to the surface and I"ve been taking them regular picnic lunches from the Amdro Deli.:D

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
The snake I ran over was beautifully marked. I just wish I'd had a camera or a pistol. Who makes boots out of these things these days?

My uncle used to make boots in his Panhandle boot shop. But he died in 1998. One of his handmade boot clients was Dan Blocker's father-in-law.

Any rattler around here I see would be pushing up daisys as soon as I got the Big RED Beast out and a deep hole dug. "What snake, Officer? I just buried a squirrel my dog killed".
hugs, Brandi

robbyr

Elite Member
Tractor
ford and mahindra

Wouldn't be a protected species if he was on my place :D

farmgirl19

Tractor
Neat connections, bindian. You aren't the only one in your family to have the ability to work with your hands! :thumbsup:

Yep, your soil would let you stick him a LOT deeper than I could get him dug into here.

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
My wife was using the string-trimmer while I was mowing this week. She told me she had seen a tiny-tiny snake much smaller around than a pencil and dark blue-gray with a ring behind it's neck. Of course, she didn't cut anymore in that location so it could get away. That news really excited me because I've also seen another one on my place. It's the Texas version of the ring-neck snake. The picture below was captured from a website, but very close to what we saw. When you look closely, beauty is everywhere.

Diadophis_punctatus_punctatus_1b,_Tallahassee,_200304.jpg

#2,084  
OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Ring snake I think they are, I have seen a few on the edge areas of the yard usually around some cover

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
My new brother in law's family makes boots. They own the shop that is famous for making senior boots for the fighting Texas Aggie Corp of Cadets!!!
I get a lump in my throat watching the Corp marching band. They are my favorite and they are awesome!

farmgirl19

Tractor
jinman; That is a very pretty snake! I wonder how large they can get. (Yes, I am too lazy this AM to look it up, as I am on my way out the door!)

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
jinman; That is a very pretty snake! I wonder how large they can get. (Yes, I am too lazy this AM to look it up, as I am on my way out the door!)

The one in the photo is probably full grown. They reach 10" to 14" normally with the largest ever recorded in Texas at 16". They do not bite humans, but feed on bugs and small insects. Their saliva seems to be toxic to insects, but I guess you could say my saliva is toxic to a hamburger because it never survives after I bite it.:rolleyes: My book on ringnecks says they do not travel far from where they hatch. It says they have found and marked snakes and always find them within a 400' diameter circle around their discovery spot. They live in the woods under the canopy of dried leaves/grass and are very shy.

The first one I ever saw was the day after I read about them in my field guide. I was shocked. How could I go all my life and never see one, and then see one the day after reading about them. What are the odds of that?

Kyle:The reference for the Timber Rattler I saw yesterday said a maximum of 40". However, today I am looking at my Texas Snakes Field Guide and it seems we grow them bigger here (Of course!). The book says they are commonly 4' in Texas, with the longest being 74".:D

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
My new brother in law's family makes boots. They own the shop that is famous for making senior boots for the fighting Texas Aggie Corp of Cadets!!!
I get a lump in my throat watching the Corp marching band. They are my favorite and they are awesome!

I can't agree more about the Texas Aggie Marching Band. I cry anytime I hear the Aggie War Hymn now. I had it played in his church for his funeral service.
hugs, Brandi

jinman

Epic Contributor, R.I.P.
Tractor
I picked what I think will surely be the last of our blackeyed peas yesterday. This morning, I picked 3-1/2 lb of okra and 8 nice sized yellow squash. This afternoon, I shelled most of the peas and my wife helped me with the final ones. Bird, I sure wish you were nearby because with the large number of snaps and small peas, you'd love these, and we'd be happy for you to have them. We have to make room to freeze stuff these days. Yesterday, I even took 3 lb of okra with me to the county dumpsite to give the operator there.;)

Bird

Epic Contributor
Yep, Jim, we're coming to the end of another season. We went to the Denton Community Market Saturday, which includes the Farmers Market that is there on Tuesdays and Thursdays also and Saturday was the last day for this year.

My brother and his wife who spend the summers in Washington State arrived back in Elm Mott for the Winter today.

And tomorrow we'll pick up Margaret's sister at the DFW airport. She tries to come visit from West Virginia when State Fair of Texas is going.

And I hope we get a big rain tonight and tomorrow with the cold front coming.

#2,091  
OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
I cant wait for the cooler weather!! Buddy sent me a couple of photos of the area I will be headed to, one out of his front Seeing the snow makes me want to leave today:laughing: It will likely be gone before I get there, but getting "antsy":D

farmgirl19

Tractor
jinman; Thanks for the info! It really is a pretty little ring necked snake. However, even though the timber rattler might be pretty too, he is not welcome here. Why do we always get everything that sticks, bites or stings, in this state? :confused3:

Wouldn't want to live anywhere else though. Did that some years back, and ended up returning "home".

robbyr

Elite Member
Tractor
ford and mahindra
Was looking at Tractor Supply the other day at a mower lift for my Scag. Looked kinda like this.

image.jpg

Instead I went home and found one.

Have a great day, y'all
:)

image.jpg

#2,095  
OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Reveille was 5am, outside temp was 74.6* and calm. At 6:30, the winds are picking up and temps feel cooler (72.1*). No rain, grrrr, just a misty sprinkle on occasion.

farmgirl19

Tractor
Yep, the line split and missed all of Parker and southern Wise County. :thumbdown:

lostcreekranch

Tractor
NH TL-100A with Bush Hog 5045 FEL, WR Long 3rd function, LS XR4155HC w/FEL, WR Long 3rd Function.
Really foggy in Colorado County this morning.

Rick

#2,098  
OP
W

Western

Tractor
Kioti DK 35 now
Yep, the line split and missed all of Parker and southern Wise County. :thumbdown:

Yep, "splitting hairs" again, weather.com said a "thunderstorm was near" yeah paleeeze. 62.7 right now and feels GREAT!!!:D

I will have to water my fruit trees now, BUT doubt I will have to mow again:thumbsup:......maybe

pacerron

Veteran Member
Tractor
CNH 4020
Was looking at Tractor Supply the other day at a mower lift for my Scag. Looked kinda like this.
Instead I went home and found one.
Have a great day, y'all:)

Every time I do that to the lawn tractor with the front end loader and chains, which is only a few times a year, I think of one of those lifts.
Bird has one, that is similar, but has never reported on how he likes it, to my knowledge.

I tried my engine hoist one time but the stabilizer legs in front, folded down, just won't fit under or around the mower axles. With even one up there is no stability.

I like the looks of the one pictured on-line at TSC but have never seen one in the store ( I forget to look ) as something else is always a priority at the time.
Picking the mower up to dig the wet grass my wife seems to get packed in there when she mows the orchard and around the horse barn probably would justify the expense of the jack... especially if I made her do the under deck cleaning, one time:D

For real clean up and blade changing, even though the nasty words start flowing, just thinking of it, pulling the deck out from under and flipping it over on some sturdy saw horses, in the garage, is the way I prefer. It's a lot easier on my old back joints. ( Once I get her to put it on the horses :laughing:)

I wonder how the majority of folks do this operation?